Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just sounds like she had too much too soon -they took things WAY too fast and did everything you said NOT to do. She actually sounds like a great dog-she needs LOTS of time and training before being put into any situations like that again-I really, really hope you can find someone to take her and work with her-she is also beautiful. The poor thing just hasn't a chance in life until you stepped in.

Comment

I can tell you as first in line contact person for MAGDRL PA/DE adoptions, I only check my emails and do my rescue work one or two times a day. I do it every day, but it is not a paid job, I am a volunteer. I have had people attempt to contact me 4-5 times in a day. All of the calls go to a system in which I hear them on my computer. I know you have a dog to place, but patience is gonna be needed.
      Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
      Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
      RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I just want to wish you the best of luck with her. Hopefully she will find her forever home!

Comment

Good Luck! I wish she were okay with other big dogs -- Andre has been looking for a friend
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toober View Post
            Looks like you are becoming your own little rescue shelter. Good luck on finding somewhere else for Gracie.
            Yea, my BF said the same thing .. although he didn't sound very amused when he said it

Originally posted by strickler View Post
            It just sounds like she had too much too soon -they took things WAY too fast and did everything you said NOT to do. She actually sounds like a great dog-she needs LOTS of time and training before being put into any situations like that again-I really, really hope you can find someone to take her and work with her-she is also beautiful. The poor thing just hasn't a chance in life until you stepped in.
            I agree, and I'm very disapointed in my friend for doing it too. I had faith that she would listen to me, and for not doing so .. I will never offer to help her find another dog. She really set Gracie up for failure, and that was very unfortunate for Gracie.

I really let her have it the night I went to get Gracie, especially when I saw that bed moved. I was pretty angry about that. They left Gracie no other option except to move forward if she wanted to remove herself from a situation .. and forward was right into someone's face. Makes me angry everytime I think about it.

Originally posted by crdane View Post
            I can tell you as first in line contact person for MAGDRL PA/DE adoptions, I only check my emails and do my rescue work one or two times a day. I do it every day, but it is not a paid job, I am a volunteer. I have had people attempt to contact me 4-5 times in a day. All of the calls go to a system in which I hear them on my computer. I know you have a dog to place, but patience is gonna be needed.
            I'm trying, but I have a BF that is riding me to just take her and dump her somewhere. Honestly, I think he's a bit afraid of her, and I really can't blame him; while she seems to be getting better Ihave seen her in action, and even I don't really trust her.

I did get one response back (this morning) and they don't have room for her (they need to place 2 more danes before they can bring in another).

Originally posted by AndreTheDane View Post
            Good Luck! I wish she were okay with other big dogs -- Andre has been looking for a friend
            Yeah, she is certainly not going to be able to go to a home with other dogs, cats, or children under 7-10.
            sigpic
            A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you for removing Gracie from that "situation" she was in - how HORRIBLE for her to be chained to that dog house and in the snow. Poor girl, she definitely didn't deserve that. She has now had the chance to enjoy warm, inside comforts like the sofa and that is thanks to you.

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
              Yeah, she is certainly not going to be able to go to a home with other dogs, cats, or children under 7-10.
              It does sound as though she is going to be difficult to place though. Please be realistic about her and what re-homing her entails. Sometimes, although it sounds harsh and is extremely hard to do, the kindest thing is to put the dog to sleep. It is NOT something I take lightly and I cry every single time whether I've had the dog a lifetime or just a few short hours, but it's definitely a reality of dog rescue. You just can't save them all and euthanizing them is FAR better than letting them live a miserable existence or bouncing home to home and potentially hurting someone in the process.

This is also one of the sad realities of Backyard Breeders. This is what happens when no thought is put into breeding. That cute pup grows into an unstable adult who now has nowhere to go because the person who brought her into the world is nowhere to be found and holds no responsibility to her well being. THIS is *exactly* why it's so important to NOT to support backyard breeders with MONEY. It's always the dogs who suffer in the end.

I wish you the best and I know that no matter what happens down the road, it isn't going to be an easy path. Just keep Gracie's BEST interest in mind. I really hope you can find someone qualified to help her and place her in a safe, loving home.

Give her a pat for me, she is a beautiful girl...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
                Sometimes, although it sounds harsh and is extremely hard to do, the kindest thing is to put the dog to sleep.
                When she attacked my friends child .. that was my first thought. This dog just needs PTS, then I brought her home .. and she's an angel, under the right circumstances. I know we can't save them all, but I feel like Gracie deserves every chance she can get .. since she doesn't seem to have ever really gotten one so far.

You are correct, she will be hard to place, extremely hard. I have a few individuals that are interested in her, but none of them are with a rescue, and to be quite honest I don't feel qualified to place her myself (knowing her issues and not knowing the individuals personally or their dog experience).

What is some advice for doing this? Both rescues I contacted say they are full and have no idea when they could take her. I would feel best if a qualified person evaluated both her and a potential adopter .. but I don't know how to make that happen (no shelters around here are qualified to do jack diddly squat imo).

If an individual ends up taking her .. I would like for them to go through the screening process, but I've never been "through" this process, and certainly don't know how to start it.

I would also like for her "adopter" if not through a rescue .. to donate something to a rescue upon receipt of her .. so that more dogs like Gracie have somewhere to go when they need to.
                sigpic
                A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Working...
                X