X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 yr old. Blue Brindle Female in DESPERATE Need

(I apologize in advance, this is long)

I received a phone call from my vets office Friday about a great dane in need of a home. The owners home had been forclosed on, they had to move in with friends, and were currently keeping their great dane outside (in the snow) on a chain. The dog had to go by Tuesday (per the friends request to the owners) and so they called me (knowing I have 3 danes).

Well, me taking her is out of the question. I have 3 of my own, plus 3 others dogs, and 3 cats .. we are full up on animals. Plus I have no where to put her (no extra crates just laying around my house, and I don't have the extra cash to just go run out and buy one this week either). I ask some questions but the receptionist that called me didn't have much info, so I asked for the guys number and called him myself.

Gracie (that's her name) is 2 yrs old, blue brindle (he originally said she was a blue, but upon receiving pictures I noticed she wasn't), the couple had only had her 6 months, she's UTD on shots (according to them, I haven't seen the paperwork yet), good around little dogs (they breed chiweenies, we'll talk about this more later ), kids (his daughter is 7), is housebroken, and has never "met" a cat but hasn't ever chased one either.

Ok, great .. I can probably find this dog a home. So I start calling around and I find someone. This family has already had a large dog, but currently only has a medium size dog. They also have children. Great, sounds perfect. I tell my friend I get off at 2, I'll be there at 3.

When we get to the guys house (or his friends house I should say) the house .. is um, well it's trashy. The guy is outside (he never offered for us to come inside actually) with Gracie (off leash next to a busy road) in the yard.

So, we start talking to the guy and he's telling me about Gracie and his chiweenie) that he sells in the local Walmart parking lot and how to mother dog just died (because he had to leave her and it broke her heart .. right) and he had tried taking Gracie (who he says he was told was spayed when his wife brought her home, but they couldn't find a scar) up there to try and get rid of her. She's also emaciated. I can see every button on her spine, and all her ribs (the guys says she won't eat .. they have to hand feed her).

So anyway, the dog is running around and she gets close enough to us (we're all standing in a group) and I reach out to pat her, and she kinda air snaps at me (tail wagging the whole time). OK .. my fault .. I rushed her (she's also slightly cross eyed) and maybe she can't see all that great up close. Then my friend tries to pat her, same thing.

OK, let's re-adjust this situation. I start really looking at the dog .. she's twitchy. Like a horse that is nervous. So I walk over to my car, open the backs eat, sit down, and call her over to me. She comes over to me and I avoid reaching for her head or shoulders, and as she turned around I scratched her butt, she really liked that, but as soon as I moved up (scratching) she whipped around and air snapped (she never really tried to bite me, it was more of "I'm uncomfortable with that" warning).

After being there an hour (and I already knew I was getting her out of there) we leashed her up, loaded her up, and headed to my friends house. I was fairly certain the dog would be fine, she was simply stressed out. Once we got her home we started introducing people 1 at a time. Gracie instantly took to my friends husband. She also liked my BF. The four of us stood outside in the yard and she was totally fine, so long as you didn't go immediantly for her face.

Then we introduced the children. She was fine. We explained to the children not to pet Gracie's face, put to pet her on her sides or back. I gave them a bed, some treats (which really went a long way with Gracie's tail un-tucking .. she was starving) and an elevated feeder for Gracie. Gracie plowed head first into a big bowl of food (funny, no one had to hand feed her a thing).

I then explained to my friend and her husband that she was going to need her space for several weeks up to a month. I also gave them 2 baby gates, so she could keep her separate, but visible, to the children and to also give her a break if she wanted it. I told them not to put her food bowl or bed in any place where she could get hemmed up and feel "trapped". I told them where to get a crate, what food to buy and where to get it. Gave them all the info they needed.

After being there almost 4 hours, I thought it was a good idea to see if Gracie had to potty (the word "potty" was well known to Gracie .. she got all sorts of wiggly and happy at the mention of that word). She's leash broken, but came with a flat buckle collar .. and she's a puller, but we took her outside. At that point I thought it would be a good time to introduce their dog. They met, sniffed, wagged tails, and that was that. Awesome.

I thought everything was going to go great. I was wrong. More wrong than I've ever been.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. We get a text telling us that Gracie has attacked their other dog. Wonderful. I tell them to keep them separated, don't get on to her, and we'll see what's going on when I get home (I was at a birthday party 2 hours away).

On our way home from the party, I get another text, this time .. Gracie has bitten their youngest child. Oh God. Luckily she wasn't trying to hurt the child, he got a scratch though, on his cheek. They want me to come get the dog right then. Fine. Headed that way.

When I get there my friend was making it seem like the dog was rabid and insane, but she seemed calm and fine. Her husband though, who I met outside with Gracie going potty, said the incident with their dog happened after my friend took Gracie out (on leash) to potty and their dog ran up and jumped on my friend (playing) and Gracie grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and shook her around a big (Gracie is about as big as my Bain, she's a large lady).

Not entirely Gracie's fault imo, but still not great. Then I ask about the incident with their son.

Again, not Gracie's fault imo. My friend was in the shower and her husband was supposed to be watching the kids and the dogs. They put Gracie’s bed exactly where I told them not too (actually they moved it from where I suggest putting it) and put it between a wall and the sofa (in a u-shaped cubby). Their youngest son went up to Gracie (who was laying down minding her own business) and leaned down to pat her face (hmm, didn't I tell them not to do that until she was settled?) and she air snapped .. only he didn't move he leaned closer .. and well .. she got his face a little.

So, now the dog has bitten another dog and a child. GREAT I'm thinking that this dog probably needs to be PTS. I don't trust her, they don't trust her, and I can't keep her.

So I bring Gracie to my house (not the best situation .. since I have animals EVERYWHERE). I put all my dogs up, throw all the cats out .. and bring Gracie in. She's a perfect lady.

I point at one of the dog beds and tell her to lay down .. she does. I go about my business bringing in presents and putting stuff up .. she continues to lay there. I say "potty" and she bounces around the living room, tail wagging. I take her out .. perfect.

We watch a movie .. she lays down and sleeps the whole time.

I get up today, take her out, put her up, take my dogs out, feed them, take them out again, put them up, and let Gracie out .. she's frolicking around like she's lived here her whole life. I take her in my bedroom while I'm getting ready to meet Dippy at the dog park .. I snap my fingers and say up .. she jumps on the bed, I tell her down .. she plops down and stays there until I get ready to leave the room .. then she's at the door.

She's nudging my hands wanting pets .. I pat her head .. nothing, except some licks. She's rubbing all over me .. she's perfectly fine. Now I'm re-thinking having her PTS. She's like a completely different dog. Why is life so hard.

Anyway, I load Trinity and Quinn up in the car and decide to see how she will react to Bain (who is still in his kennel). So I open the dog room door .. Gracie walks in .. and she's growling at Bain .. who is like OMG she growled at me! and moves to the back of his kennel. OK .. so no dogs.

I am completely and utterly perplexed as to what to do with this dog. do i take her to be PTS or do I find her a home. So I call the vet and tell them, and they suggest I contact a rescue. I only "know" one .. Smokey Mountain, so I send them an e-mail. Then I go to the dog park. I get home .. same reaction .. happy, happy, happy to see me dog. We even played fetch (no aggression when I take a toy from her either).

The rescue hasn't responded and my BF says she can't stayhere (he's afraid she'll hurt one of our dogs or one of the cats).

Anyone? I really need help on this one! I think she would make a GREAT wonderful "only" dog. No kids, no other pets, no dog parks .. just someone to love her. I think, until she has some serious training, that's her only option besides euthenasia.

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or advice for me? I'm ALL ears.

Photo I received from the guy, of Gracie

Gracie this morning (sorry, the iphone doesn't take great indoor, low light photos)

Last edited by BigLittleSmall; 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM.
    sigpic
    A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Ok where is she?

Comment

Great dane rescue inc. also covers your area. I would contact them
      http://www.greatdanerescueinc.com/

I would also contact your GD breed club in the area and ask them for referrals.

Not dane specific, but this rescue is also in your area
      http://www.lastchancedogrescue.com/

This is why rescues foster the dogs first, and screen adopters
      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
      - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by daneslave View Post
        Ok where is she?
        She is in Alabama with her.
        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
          Agree, oh I so agree.

What you have done is so wonderful for this dog, more than I think I would do to get the dog out of a very sorry situation. What you have to do now is give the dog the time until a rescue organization steps up. You have already shown you can separate and this dog does not mind being separated, so I would work on making the separation more secure and at the same time, try and not compromise your residence dog's freedom so much. What I think is more important for this dog is not get any more black marks on her reputation.

Comment

Great dane rescue inc. also covers your area. I would contact them
            http://www.greatdanerescueinc.com/

Not dane specific, but this rescue is also in your area
            http://www.lastchancedogrescue.com/

Thanks. I will send them all a letter.

I've got to be careful with non-breed specific rescues. There is one called Maggie's Haven that adopted out an aggressive dog to my SIL (I posted about it a couple months ago) and they almost refused to come get the dog until I pretty much threatened them. I don't really know if I trust someone who doesn't know about danes .. unless you know that rescue personally?

I know rescues are the way to go, but sometimes rescues take their time getting back to you (like today, I've yet to hear back from anyone), and she didn't have a week for someone to respond.

I'm not saying I did things the right way, but I made a snap decision (based more from my heart than my brain, obviously) .. just didn't work out as well as my last 3 .

She's like a totally different dog at my house. She LOVES to play fetch .. we've been doing it for an hour. She will bring it and drop it in your hands. Totally different attitude than yesterday.

She also seems to be "ok" with smaller dogs, just not bigger dogs. She is totally ok with Fred coming up to her outside, but he darted in the door earlier and came racing towards me .. and she got all defensive.
            sigpic
            A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by daneslave View Post
              Ok where is she?
              right now she is laying on a pillow in front of my tv.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
                Thanks. I will send them all a letter.

I've got to be careful with non-breed specific rescues. There is one called Maggie's Haven that adopted out an aggressive dog to my SIL (I posted about it a couple months ago) and they almost refused to come get the dog until I pretty much threatened them. I don't really know if I trust someone who doesn't know about danes .. unless you know that rescue personally?

I know rescues are the way to go, but sometimes rescues take their time getting back to you (like today, I've yet to hear back from anyone), and she didn't have a week for someone to respond.

I'm not saying I did things the right way, but I made a snap decision (based more from my heart than my brain, obviously) .. just didn't work out as well as my last 3 .

She's like a totally different dog at my house. She LOVES to play fetch .. we've been doing it for an hour. She will bring it and drop it in your hands. Totally different attitude than yesterday.

She also seems to be "ok" with smaller dogs, just not bigger dogs. She is totally ok with Fred coming up to her outside, but he darted in the door earlier and came racing towards me .. and she got all defensive.
                Most rescues are not going to get back with you in a day, they are run by volunteers with jobs and families and other responsibilities. Its not hard to screen a rescue if you're unsure - talk to whoever the GD club hooks you up with, talk to vets in their area (not just the one they use).

Please don't put this dog in a position to make another mistake. Even if she "seems" ok with smaller dogs, just keep everyone separated until you can make other arrangements for her.

Has this girl been vetted at all?
                - Anatole France

Comment

Please don't put this dog in a position to make another mistake. Even if she "seems" ok with smaller dogs, just keep everyone separated until you can make other arrangements for her.

Has this girl been vetted at all?
                  Oh trust me .. she's not getting around any of our dogs (I can't afford for any of ours to develope any dog aggression because they got bit). She only got around Fred because he will nearly knock you down whenhe wants out .. and he burst past my BF when he opened the dog room door (he doesn't have a crate). We;ve since put a baby gate across the doorway so if he does try that again .. all he gets is a face full of baby gate.

The guy said she is completely UTD on shots and is supposed to be having his vet fax her records to my vet. He hasn't done it yet though. I'm not holding my breath though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, I'm really glad you saved this girl. I hope she can find a forever home.
                    sigpicAngela and Gunner

Comment

Originally posted by Anna68 View Post
                      Wow, I'm really glad you saved this girl. I hope she can find a forever home.
                      Me too .. I'm just hoping my BF is in a good mood and doesn't start pushing me to get rid of her .. he's still iffy about Quinn, but since I deferred my Christmas gifts in lieu of me keeping her .. he hasn't said anything else about her "leaving" and has actually been snuggling with her (I know he's smitten now).

Good thing I get paid this week .. I wasn't expecting another mouth to feed.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just went to the GDCA website, and the great dane rescue link you posted is the only one listed (actually it refers you down to Michigan) for Alabama.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
                          I just went to the GDCA website, and the great dane rescue link you posted is the only one listed (actually it refers you down to Michigan) for Alabama.
                          Yes, they take danes from Alabama. Did you contact them?
                          It seems they are HQ in Michigan, but seem to have volunteers in Alabama. That's how many rescues work.
                          - Anatole France

Comment

Gracie discovered the sofa.

She doesn't like being touched while she's asleep though .. she did growl at me for that.

Yes, they take danes from Alabama. Did you contact them?
                            It seems they are HQ in Michigan, but seem to have volunteers in Alabama. That's how many rescues work.
                            I did. I went to their website and clicked the "contact us" and sent a letter about Gracie.

I got a "reply" but it was an automated response saying someone would get back to me.
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks like you are becoming your own little rescue shelter. Good luck on finding somewhere else for Gracie.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X