Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need quality vet in Northwest Indiana that has a lot of experience in ear cropping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need quality vet in Northwest Indiana that has a lot of experience in ear cropping

Hi, I am on my 7th Dane and the breeder cropped the pups ears. At 9.5 weeks I received the pup and her ears were infected and had terrible smell. Took her to my vet who I have been going through for decades and my vet usually does the cropping and then the ear taping until the ears stand. My vet treated the infection and left the ears unwrapped to air out for 3 days. After that she posted and tape the ears for the next 5 days. Then she only tape wrap the ears and I was to bring her back in a week. When I went today I found out my vet quit and another vet at the hospital saw the pup. That vet let the ears air out. The one is crooked inward and the other seems to a crease in the middle. I don't think this vet has the experience and time for the cartilage to solidify is running out. I am desperate to find an experience vet. This pup is potential show quality and want the ears to be fixed and straightened out. I would appreciate any help or referral.

Do you mean the breeder's vet cropped the ears? Or the breeder?

Not many vets are experienced in ear care for cropped Danes. I would encourage you to do it yourself. There are videos on YouTube for how to do it. I encourage all of my puppy people to learn to do their own because it always works out much better than using a vet. Unless the vet is a Dane breeder themselves...
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

Also, can your breeder help you?
      *Jennifer*
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for responding. I now am not sure of the breeder. I don't know who did the cropping because I did not receive medical records only a log that had one entry for shots given. The pup is quality Dane and does come from Champions line. I didn't get a contract to sign but maybe the breeder will put in the mail.

I have watched the many videos on youtube and did attempt but I am not good at it. I am nervous about cutting of the blood circulation. Yes, I found out that its hard to find a vet to crop and care for the ears. I was lucky for decades with my vet but as I mentioned, she quit the clinic. I do have ant appointment on Friday for vet to see what he can do. This vet does cropping and taping but he has only done Dobermans.

Can you tell the time frame for taping and getting the ears to stand before the ear cartilage is set?

Comment

There isn't a magic number, it varies for each dog. I can tell you that they need to be posted consistently at this stage or there is a very real chance that they will never stand correctly.
          *Jennifer*
          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't panic. I'd say you have a month or two to perfect your taping from the time of the crop. Ears do wonky things even during the teething stage, so you have some wiggle room in regards to getting it right. I'd definitely look into doing it yourself. It's not that difficult, and if the crop is good they should stand correctly.
            ETA: Taping is taping, whether Dobes or Danes. As long as he knows what he's doing, you should be fine.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Thanks for the help. I found my vet who quit the vet hospital abruptly...been going to her for 3+decades. She is now with another clinic.The vet taped one side and then instructed me in taping the 2nd side. After one day, the vet side was good but the side I did was covered with yellow wax. When I removed the tapes the ears dropped. I kept them naturals for 5 days so the one side could heal plus there was all this glue attached to her fur.. I then attempted myself and I thought I did good job but Pallas was able to shake the taping off in one day. I did not give up and taped again that same night. The next morning they were still taped and when I came home for work they were still taped. The tape stayed on for 5 days and then Pallas shook them off. No glue from the tape was left on the ears Both ears were standing erect but floppy. The next day one ear started to droop so I used a Breath-Rite to help support it. Both ears were standing nice so I left them alonge for a couple of days. Last night I retaped and Pallas did not shake them off. I think I am almost there and I am kind of proud of myself. When finished I will upload a picture.
              Last edited by DPU; 05-07-2018, 04:01 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Comment

You know they have to be taped until after teething so maybe at least until 7 months old, right? If not, now you do. Also, I wouldn't leave them out of tapes except for many a few hours at a time just before retaping.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

See the ears are standing on Pallas very nicely. Do I continue to tape?
                  Last edited by DPU; 05-12-2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

How old is he now? Just because they stand for a day or two doesn't mean they'll stay up, unfortunately. Sometimes a shorter wider crop takes less time, I can't really see in the pic. I hate this forum for never fixing how images upload (but that's a different thread altogether LOL). Sometimes the teething stage (5-6 months old) reeks havoc on ears for some reason. Maybe you'll get lucky and be fine.
                    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Lets see if this photo is better. She is 4.5 months old. I also attached the picture as an attachment. I will see how long the ears will stand up and then repost.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DPU; 05-13-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

You can go to DOL on facebook and see the picture of Pallas at 4.5 months old.

Comment

Working...
                        X