No announcement yet.

Getting too BIG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Ottostep a while ago and liked it well enough. The main thing I didn't like was it needed to be put on and taken off each time (easy enough to do, but I'm lazy!)

A friend gave me a Twistep and I LOVE it.

http://www.twistep.com/

Murphy took to it immediately and has no problems using it to get in or out of my SUV.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...48999148473675
    sigpic
    Debbie & Murphy

Comment

All good ideas above...

However though, if he's already 75lbs... then he's likely 25+ inches tall.
      What you have on your hands is a Buller. All danes do it... even once they can get up in the car/truck/bed... they will pretend they can't to get you to lift them. At some point you just need to stop lifting him and he will climb up.

HTH

Aside from that... and if the above detailed ramps fail... you can buy a 'Liberator', a plush fold-out triangular ramp-ish device... it folds up into a square, but unfolds to a triangle.
      - Chris
      "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
      sigpic

Comment

Both of mine jump up. My girl is small, she will be 2 yo next month, she is 75-80# and she jumps in and out of our dodge durango, the cargo area is about 2.5 feet off the ground and she has no issues. My male is bigger, he too has no issues jumping in and out. Good Luck
        There IS Nothin Like a Dane !

Comment

With Leif I lifted his front paws in then lifted his back end while he scooted in. What Mr. Walnuts said is so true though still to this day (1 year old Tuesday) he will put his front paws up and then turn and look at me with the aren't you going to help me look on his face.

To let him out as a puppy I couldn't lift him but didn't want him jumping so I tossed my arm around his back and braced him against my body and let him slide down so he wasn't impacting the ground.
          I've got a cute butt!! Leif at four months.
          sigpic
          Jamie, Ava, and Leif

Comment

Ayla is over 100 lbs and I am still lifting her big butt into the car. She kills me, but she will not jump in. She lays on the back seat, though, so she puts her front feet up and then I just have to lift her butt. Can you put his feet up on the back and just lift the back end? We have a ramp, but it is not the greatest, and it is too big and clumsy to work with. If I ever get another one, it will telescope.
            Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
            Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
            RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I have the same type of vehicle & have never had an issue with it. As pups I put them in. As they grew they would put their front paws up in it & I would lift the rear end. As they grew bigger & I was no longer able to do that they started kind of crawling in. They would put their front feet up first & then lift 1 of the back legs & get it up & then pull the other one up too. Now they just hop in. I did find that it was much easier for them to "climb"/ "crawl" in from the back seat (back door area) rather than the rear (cargo) area. I think it was easier because I have the step runners that run along side of the vehicle & they would use those for a boost.
              sigpic
              Roxy & Ace

Comment

Caveat to my first post:

I wouldn't recommend making them jump if thy're still pups... but once they aren't, you've gotta call them out on their mailingering.

HTH
                - Chris
                "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
                sigpic

Comment

It isn't that my Khei won't jump in and out, I have just read that they are not suppose to jump in and out because of the chance of injury! My truck bed is probably about 3 ft. (I will have to measure that), but I am afraid that he will injure himself by jumping that far down!
                  Elizabeth, Oh how life changes with a Great Dane in the family!
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow... yea, 3 feet is pretty far as vehicle jumping goes. If you measure it and it turns out to really be 3 feet... I would invest in a stepstool or ramp of some kind. 99% of the time (not a statistic I got from any study), a 3 foot jump out of a truck won't cause injury to most full grown danes... but its getting close to the possible injury threshold.
                    - Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

I have a Dodge Dakota that Moxie rides in the rear seat of. I have a ramp which I trained her to use as a pup, but she can get in and out on her own if she is the only dog. I use it about twice a month so she doesn't forget. If I have Bandit (GSD) or Leroy ( her littermate) in my truck she asks for a little boost. I think she is afaid to crash into them.
                      My boss had a GR with demyelinating disease who she ended up having to rebuild her porch steps and front steps for him as well as making a set of very sturdy and heavy stairs for her truck for b/c he was scared of the ramp- even with tons of training. Because of that, I trained Moxie to use the ramp young.
                      I don't love the one I have which came from Ocean State Job ( a New England store) because it is steep, but Moxie seems fine with it.

Comment

For my other dog(Great Dane/Mastiff) we bought some Pet Helper Steps online. She would never jump up, we had to drag her pretty little bum every time we needed her to get up onto the back of the ute but then I found these steps online and figured well, she climbs the back steps a 100 times a day she will climb these up into the car. Shes far too heavy to lift now(78kgs) and the steps have worked a treat. They just fold up and you can store them in the back.
                        Your Dane is beautiful by the way.

Comment

Working...
                        X