Getting too BIG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting too BIG!

Kheiron is 6 months old and about 75 lbs. We are still lifting him in and out of the back of our Chevy Suburban (because I was told it was too high for him to jump). In another month, he will be to heavy for me to lift.

How do you all get your dogs in and out of your trucks? I need ideas please. He goes everywhere with us and I want a safe way for him to go in and out of the truck!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
    Elizabeth, Oh how life changes with a Great Dane in the family!
    sigpic

Can you have him climb in through the back seat then go into the cargo area (assuming your seats fold down)? This is how I did it when Jazz couldn't jump after surgery. I had her step up into the back seat. step across. fold down half of the back seat then she walked into the cargo area and I put the seat back up. Sounds more complicated then it was, only took a minute longer than the usual jump up.

Em
    sigpic
    Emily
    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
      Can you have him climb in through the back seat then go into the cargo area (assuming your seats fold down)? This is how I did it when Jazz couldn't jump after surgery. I had her step up into the back seat. step across. fold down half of the back seat then she walked into the cargo area and I put the seat back up. Sounds more complicated then it was, only took a minute longer than the usual jump up.

Em
      I wish that was possible, but it is not! We have a cargo area cage that is set up behind the back seat. They have to get in through the back hatch. We travel with them all the time and the cargo cage is a safety necessity!
      sigpic

Comment

we have a ramp that we use for ours to get into my husbands truck.. it folds down but still takes a little room but well worth it..

We got this one from Costco... ( I love costco)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

Comment

We recently bought a ramp but it is a nightly training process. Diesel weighs 125lbs and does not have enough muscle in his rear legs to get himself in any of our vehicles. Either my son or DH has to lift him in as I can't. I am working each night with him. The other 3 dogs go up down the ramp with no problems but he is the one I need to get to use it. We'll keep training every night.
          sigpic
          Buster

RIP Jack Diesel Caliber and Bubbles. Mommy misses you guys every day!

Comment

Originally posted by nzpatty View Post
            we have a ramp that we use for ours to get into my husbands truck.. it folds down but still takes a little room but well worth it..

We got this one from Costco... ( I love costco)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
            I saw those, but they look so steep. My truck is 4WD and is pretty high. I worry about his clumsy feet trying to get up and down that without falling. I guess I will have to get one and try it! Does your dane have any problems using it?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by claudia View Post
              We recently bought a ramp but it is a nightly training process. Diesel weighs 125lbs and does not have enough muscle in his rear legs to get himself in any of our vehicles. Either my son or DH has to lift him in as I can't. I am working each night with him. The other 3 dogs go up down the ramp with no problems but he is the one I need to get to use it. We'll keep training every night.
              That is what I am worried about. I will pay all the money for it and then it won't work for him! UGH!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strssdmom72 View Post
                I saw those, but they look so steep. My truck is 4WD and is pretty high. I worry about his clumsy feet trying to get up and down that without falling. I guess I will have to get one and try it! Does your dane have any problems using it?

My hubby has a chevy silverado so it's pretty high... yeah it is kinda a steep incline but they go up and down it no problem... it took them a few tries and treats to get the hang of it, and of course we are right beside them when they go up.. the hardest part is teaching them to start at the bottom and go straight up.. but once they get the hang of it the are up and down like champs... never had a problem with them falling off or anything, but again we are right there as they go up.

Comment

I can't remember where I saw it but someone here has like a step attached to the trailer hitch if their truck. They spin it out for the step then spin it back to drive

Comment

Our excursion is pretty high. (Its been lifted) ya the ramp is steep but they do fine with it. Actually sometimes our mastiff who has fear issues has problems with it but my brother still doesn't mind picking up the 200lbs baby and putting him in. But if its just me and ox who I can't lift for nothing it just takes some treats and some extra time but eventually he will get in.
                    Last edited by Lacey; 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM.
                    sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Do you have a hitch? Charlene had a step made for her hitch as a halfway point (she has a pic on here somewhere if you search for a steps thread I think) I also had thought that the reese cargo haul thing that you hook into your hitch may work as a half way step

Em
                      sigpic
                      Emily
                      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudyskyy View Post
                        I can't remember where I saw it but someone here has like a step attached to the trailer hitch if their truck. They spin it out for the step then spin it back to drive
                        here is what i had made for my trailblazer...

i covered it with an old rug and pea and bentley had no problem stepping up...

this just slid into my hitch and worked well except that ashley didn't like it. never could get her to use it so i got rid of the trailblazer and got the princess a minivan.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

He should at least put his front up then I lift hind end, eventually they try to jump while you give a leg up, some will be able to jump up. I encourage them to try to jump up with my help.

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
                            He should at least put his front up then I lift hind end, eventually they try to jump while you give a leg up, some will be able to jump up. I encourage them to try to jump up with my help.

This is what we do for Pandora, and did with Clyde (4x4 Silverado) Basicaly they do most of the work, we just cushioned the blow in and out Hardest part for us was getting them calm and still before entry/exit lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is what we do with Deuce as well, he gets his front end in and then I boost the hind end. The front end weighs much more than the rear :P He does jump down himself.
                              Tamara and Deuce
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X