No announcement yet.

The Surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

such cute videos of him... I too live in Tacoma WA, I wish all the best in his recovery!
    sigpic.....( picture is Vader..aka Monkey!)Elisa, Kenyon,.and Vader............... RIP Big Brother Rowjay (12) and Vincen (8) gone from Earth, but not from my heart!

Comment

What a lucky boy to have such loving owners... you can tell the joy he has for life in both videos that you have posted. Such a great dog.
      sigpic
      -Sara-
      -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Aww Goofus, you cutie! Doesn't look uncomfortable which is good, just really ataxic and loss of where his feet are in space. Hoping for a treatable outcome or at least keeping him happy and pain free!
        sigpic
        Crystal
        Owned by:
        Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
        CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
        Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
        Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Wishing you the best. Goofus is very lucky to have such a loving family!
          sigpic Brenda
          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Wishing your family the best! He is such a lucky boy to have such wonderful, caring owners
            sigpicTami, mom to Macie (Dane), Sasha (princess kitty), and skin kids Laynie (4) and Wyatt (2)

Comment

thank you so much for the educational video. He is such a beautiful boy, he sure doesn't seem to be in pain. Such a good dad you are! hoping for the best for you and GOO (I love the name). keep us posted.
              sigpic
              Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB

Comment

Thank's, I'll keep um commin'.
                All of the vids I've taken of him are on Youtube. I think that there are 12 in
                all.
                I'm keeping them up so I can see any progression if any of the disease.
                Also, our Surgeon, who lives in another city can look as well.

We have an appointment next Tuesday for the MRI and we might then get some answers.
                Seems to me that the disease hasn't gotten any worse over the past few
                weeks.
                His muscle tone is good and he has no problems getting up and relieving himself.
                We've also covered the deck with roof tiles to give him traction when he goes outside.
                The deck is only going to get more slippery.

It might be my imagination but looking at the vid, it almost seems like he can get better balance
                when he has his head down.

I really do appreciate the upbeat feedback from you folks at the site.
                It means allot even though we've never met, but yet I feel like I know you all.

Dogtag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPmRWe6-A4"]YouTube - Goofus 14.MP4[/ame]
                Last edited by dogtag; 10-08-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I can see an improvement from the last video. He still weak in the rear but he is also recovering faster when he makes a misstep. He seem to know more what his rear is doing.
                  He look so happy and I think that is importance. I think he got more muscle on his rear end.

Wish you all the best.

Comment

Duke had something very similar to wobblers. There was a lot of guessing as to what was going on until we had the MRI. His symptoms were so bad i thought it was cruel to not put him down. He could not get up at it's worst. Fortunately I had the MRI done and we saw the problem. He was put on prednisone to see if it relieved any of the symptoms. The surgeon said if it helped he felt the surgery had a good chance of success. Very long story short he had the surgery almost two weeks ago and everyday he gets better. Today he was getting into everything like he was a puppy again. If I can be of any help please ask. Best of luck
                    Rob

Comment

My friend's dog had the same surgery as Goofus 7 years ago. She is still doing well; they just have to be very cautious about her neck since her spine in that area doesn't have the normal protection of solid vertabrae. No collar and no roughousing with the other dogs. She actually walks pretty well but has a tendency to circle if she gets excited. She walks with her head lowered as well. I think it helps them to keep their balance. These kids with neurological issues tear my heart out. My Maggie has degenerative myelopathy and other than supportive care, there is no cure. She's still hanging in there at almost 13, but she's gone downhill noticably in the last 6-8 months. Good luck with your boy's appointment. Keep us posted on his improvement.
                      sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

These videos of your boy are a good illustration of the Wobbler problem. Years ago when there were no treatments the only option was putting the dog down. He's a lucky boy to have people who have the resources to help.

Hope the upcoming MRI brings good news. Do you have any thoughts of Wobblers being genetic??

Dee
                        sigpic

Comment

I asked the neurosurgeon if this was genetic or if it was due to a high protein diet. he said he has been doing this a long time and he feels dogs are just like humans. He said some dogs just get sick or have abnormalities. That is who they are. He said it is what it is.
                          Rob

Comment

MRI is tomorrow morning. Tues the 12th.
                            Goofus has gone down hill since last week but if there is anything that shows up on the MRI that is treatable, we will go for it.
                            If not, we will do the responsible thing. It's about the dog, not us....

Dogtag

Comment

Good luck today and be sure to let us know how it goes.
                              "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Will be thinking of you guys and Goofus today.
                                sigpic
                                Crystal
                                Owned by:
                                Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                                CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                                Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                                Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Working...
                                X