after pexi care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after pexi care

Just curious, how long did your dane have to stay low action after a pexi? I've seen a wide range of activity restrictions and am curious if my vet was extremely conservative or if we were actually typical/

My vet's rules was strict no activity for 4 weeks (other than obvious trips outdoors for potty time), and then starting at 15 minute walks, adding 5 minutes every few days until 6 weeks then resume regular activity. Ahh 3 days left of the 6 weeks!

This was from a university hospital, where the do pexis regularly.

Do you think her restrictions may have been longer due to the fact that she had already bloated and was in ICU up until her surgery. She also had to stay there 3 days after surgery before allowed to come home. They vets said everythign went well and there was no complications

Emily
    sigpic
    Emily
    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

I only had to keep Murray really quiet for 2 weeks, then slowly (like that was going to happen) let him get back to normal activity. I think that they were extra careful considering the history with your dane.
    sigpic
    Lori, Desi & Grimm
    RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
    Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
    Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Yeah, my vet said 2 weeks. Basically until the staples came out and we knew it was completely closed up. My vet said then to keep them at a slower pace for a little more time but both mine were pretty much back to normal within 3 weeks.
      sigpic

Comment

My boy was on a leash outside for like 10 days then we took back to the vet and stitches came out then we just keep an eye on him outdoors and didnt let him really run. just kinda trot around but my guy is feeling great now. and its been about 2 weeks. Really depends on the dog.

Comment

We did 2 weeks of rest and leash walks/ potty time. Montana is a VERY athletic boy so the 2nd week was tough.

Comment

Pexy Care

What age should we get the pexy done? My vet said to do it when we get Theo neutered and she suggested at 5-6 months. Is this too early since the stomach will still grow? I guess I have doubts about my vet after she suggested supplements and to feed Science Diet!

Comment

I think we did about 2 weeks also, but didn't have bloat history.

Originally posted by Michael Manoocheri View Post
              What age should we get the pexy done? My vet said to do it when we get Theo neutered and she suggested at 5-6 months. Is this too early since the stomach will still grow? I guess I have doubts about my vet after she suggested supplements and to feed Science Diet!

IMHO, 5-6 months is waaaaayy to early for either neuter or pexy. It is a good idea to do both at once. If I had a make I'd be shooting for 12-18 months (or whenever behavioral issues start to crop up). You want as much growth as possible to be finished before you do either surgery (look up the info on this site about early neuter).
              sigpic
              Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Deuce had an emergency pexy done and we kept him quiet for four weeks. Leash pottying only and quiet walks up and down the street at the very most. Vet said three weeks but at the recommendation of a breeder friend that we have we kept him quiet for four weeks. It was worth it to ensure that he was healed up good and solid inside to make sure nothing tore. What a terrifying experience it was to let him off leash in our yard for the first time after that four weeks as of course the first thing he did was have a zoomie. He was just fine.

I agree with the others that 5-6 months is way too young, you have a very good chance of the pexy not holding with a pup that young. I would be shooting for at least 12 months as well.
                Tamara and Deuce
                sigpic

Comment

We were told to keep Bella at low activity for 2 weeks until the staples came out. She was pretty active though, but no wrestling .

Comment

Working...
                  X