Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

I am having Horatio neutered in May(when he is 1)and 2 weeks ago he was 150 lbs. I called my vet for a price on his neutering and I was told that the vet has to give an estimate because he's over 100 lbs.

Is this normal? It's been so long since I've had an animal altered that I guess I'm out of the loop when it comes to this stuff. I have 2 other dogs being altered on the same day by the same vet and I got their prices over the phone. Neither is more than 100 lbs., by the way.

What do you think would be a general price range for his neuter? And why do I have to get an estimate, and not a set price? Should I be concerned by this?

Any help is of course appreciated.

Nikki and the hounds of Vogels and LDCR

RE: Is this normal?

My vet charges by weight also.
    Mandi

Comment

My vet goes by weight categories. Like 1-20 lbs., 21-40 lbs., and so forth up to 100 lbs. At 100 lbs., there is an extra charge per pound. Does that make sense? Zeus weighed 133 lbs. when he was neutered, so it was $100 (at 100 lbs.) plus $1.50 per extra pound. It cost approx. $150.
      sigpic
      RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
      Levi...born June 29th, 2011
      Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
      Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
      https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I knew he charged by their weight(just like a cropping), but if I told them his weight, why couldn't they give me a price over the phone like they did with my other dogs? Do you know what I mean?

Maybe he'll cut me a deal since I go to him so much and am having him alter 3 dogs within a month's time. Yeah right.

Anyway, thanks again.

Nikki and the hounds of Vogels and LDCR

Comment

Could be that they need to figure out how much anesthesia they will need to use.
          Mandi

Comment

When I took my Hanna to my regular vet at six months she gave me a price of $350.00 to $400.00. I almost choked!!! She gave me a list of all the charges involved and said I could cut off some of them if I wanted to. Needless to say, I made a speedy retreat, right out the door. I don't know where you are from, but in my area we have a spay program that you can apply to and it greatly reduces the cost. You have a choice of several vets in your area and the one I chose, I had used before with other pets I have had, so I knew his work. I didn't go there in the first place cause he was farther away and the lady that wanted to charge me the $400.00 was suppose to have such a good reputation. Yea, right!!!!!!!! Look into your area for a program through some of the adoption leagues and rescues. They might be able to steer you in the right direction. When Hanna was spayed, it cost me $65.00 and she was 55 lb. Good luck.

Comment

Just wondering where you are located, I need to get a cat spayed and it's going to cost me about $250 that I just don't have right now, and would love to get it done ASAP

Comment

Many SPCA's have a spay/neuter program that greatly reduces the cost of the surgery. Ours even does them for free for low-income families (with income documentation, of course).

Comment

The vet is probably the person who does the actual math to figure out the cost. When we had Stan's gold bead implants, the vet asked what he weighs, and I could hear the 10 key calculator being keyed while we talked. Maybe your vet just prefers that he/she does the figuring to avoid any misquotes.
                  Cari

Comment

Working...
                  X