Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rescue, with ears cropped

Hi!
    I recently rescued a 23 week old dane. He came with cropped ears. Now I don't have any idea how many times his ears have been tapped, or if it was done at all. I took him to the vet and they tapped them. 24 hours later he was itching horribly and I took the tape off, he had a raw mess. I went to the store and bought some supplies I saw the vet used to tape his ears. Maybe he is allergic?

Do you have pictures? what did they use. There are a lot of option of tape and materials. We prefer a straw, gauze and porous tape. - Granted ours seem to stay on for 48 - 72 and then fall off, but ehh atleast his ears get a good 12 hour breath or shorter, and air is always good right?

Did the breeder show you how to tape? They should of been taped when you got the pup IMO.

Another member used a rolled up paper towel and paper tape I believe.
    sigpic
    Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Invest in some gold bond medicated powder for in the ear flap. That will keep that part dry. Make sure your not sticking the post into the ear canal, it should rest just above the "bump" in the ear, that way it will be less irritating. Look up Great Dane ear taping on youtube. There are some really good tutorials on there. A puppy named Einstein is owned by someone on the board, I know her video is up there. Don't give up and good luck! (Nothing less pretty than a crop flop, honestly :\ )
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I use Zonas tape by Johnson and Johnson. Couldn't find it in the store, but their sports tape is very similar. I second the gold bond powder. I clean Finn's ears with rubbing alcohol, let them dry, then shake a bunch of gold bond into the flap. I use a pool noodle for posts, but it's the same method as the pipe foam insulation method. It's pretty easy. They stay up for 5-7 days. I only take them down for a few hours (8 max and they were not flopping). Some leave them down a day, but my breeder said not to and thinks this makes the taping much longer if you let them get floppy in between. I have waited anywhere from 2 to 8 hours in between taking them down and putting them back up, and they were never allowed to get floppy in between. Good luck, it's work, but will be worth it when they stand. Nothing worse than a crop flop though :/

ETA Sparrow, I love your sig pic!
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by dukers View Post
          Do you have pictures? what did they use. There are a lot of option of tape and materials. We prefer a straw, gauze and porous tape. - Granted ours seem to stay on for 48 - 72 and then fall off, but ehh atleast his ears get a good 12 hour breath or shorter, and air is always good right?

Did the breeder show you how to tape? They should of been taped when you got the pup IMO.

Another member used a rolled up paper towel and paper tape I believe.

Loki is a rescue. He was abandoned, so I have very little info on his lineage. I did not get him from a breeder. So I will need all the help I can get (:
          When I went to the vet that cropped his ears (the previous owner told me where he went) the vet tapped them. He used a rolled up maxi pad as the post, with gauze around it. It looked like a cigar.
          Last edited by Luna112; 09-09-2014, 08:28 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
            Invest in some gold bond medicated powder for in the ear flap. That will keep that part dry. Make sure your not sticking the post into the ear canal, it should rest just above the "bump" in the ear, that way it will be less irritating. Look up Great Dane ear taping on youtube. There are some really good tutorials on there. A puppy named Einstein is owned by someone on the board, I know her video is up there. Don't give up and good luck! (Nothing less pretty than a crop flop, honestly :\ )
            Thank you Lisa! The vet that cropped/tapped his ears is who comes highly recommend by countless people. I had to take his tape down a day later because he was itching horribly. He now has bloody sores, and scabs all in his ear. His ears were perfect when I took him in, they cleaned them, and then tapped them. Maybe he is allergic?

Comment

I would maybe take him back to that vet and show him the reaction he had to the taping and get their advice. They will be able to tell you what they used on the ears so maybe you can try something different.
              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
              X