How long did it take?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnn04 View Post
    And don't tape over the scabs right? Just tape around them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually wait until the scabs are gone. If there are only a couple very small areas that look raw, you can tape but I would take off in a couple days to check. Only leave tapes on for several days at a time once they are completely healed. Otherwise you might be shocked and devastated when you go to remove tapes and discover a huge infection.

*Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuf00vkKWM

That is the video I used for my Dane, I love the backer rod method, it is easy and a lot faster.

This is her ears at 14 weeks, she is 17 weeks now.

Comment

Aw he's so handsome! If it were me, I would leave them down till they're completely healed or find a method that leaves it exposed, then do it yourself. For me the backer rod method is the easiest, I can make the posts & tape Timber's ears up in 5 minutes. The vet that did his ears taped them up right after surgery with a method that left the stitches exposed. So there are ways to post that keep the scabs aired out, if there's just one scab you could also attempt the backer rod method if the 2 pieces of tape don't cover the part with the sore...
        sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

Here's how he came home...the vet used 3 wooden sticks (looked like the long q-tips) as the support, then taped them sticky side to sticky side & I'm guessing afterward he cut the edge with the stitches so they'd be exposed. I'm glad he did this because it lasted well over a week (I took it off) & I'm a big believer in the one day down, another week up with posting the ears. After cropped, his ears have never went back down or drooped
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Here's duke after taking down his first post. The ears were posted for 2 days.

Comment

Hi all
              Blue had his ear cropped at 14 weeks (very late for US standard)
              He will be 6 month march 28
              This is last week picture (Friday ) of his tapping resting day, my Vet changes tapping every week and leaves a day off

Regards

Claudio
              Caracas, Venezuela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What taping method does your vet use? I am really liking the backer rod method as it is easy. The only thing I have a hard time with is getting the bridge right. Thankfully I only have to do it for a few weeks

Comment

Hi
                  Almost the same as the foam rod but instead he uses a cardboard tube like a finger in diameter, with 2" wide adhesive for the bridge between the ears very close to the skull

Please if my English is "funny" please consider it is not my native language

Regards

Claudio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I never did use a bridge for Timber, I think if done wrong they can do more damage than good. My understanding was that the longer crops benefit more from the bridges so that's why he didn't need it. Or if they go all wacky. After his vet stints came off I took the stiches out, cleaned em up & posted them with the backer rod a few hours later.

They look great to only be posted for 2 days! Hopefully you won't have to post for too long! Timber's haven't been posted in 3 weeks so I only taped (so far) until he was 4 months old & he was cropped at 9 weeks. He's in the middle of teething so I'm constantly watching for droopiness since 4 months is pretty young to stop taping...luck isn't normally on my side lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

How long did it take?!?!?

Originally posted by its_country_bumpkn View Post
                      I never did use a bridge for Timber, I think if done wrong they can do more damage than good. My understanding was that the longer crops benefit more from the bridges so that's why he didn't need it. Or if they go all wacky. After his vet stints came off I took the stiches out, cleaned em up & posted them with the backer rod a few hours later.

They look great to only be posted for 2 days! Hopefully you won't have to post for too long! Timber's haven't been posted in 3 weeks so I only taped (so far) until he was 4 months old & he was cropped at 9 weeks. He's in the middle of teething so I'm constantly watching for droopiness since 4 months is pretty young to stop taping...luck isn't normally on my side lol.

Do you have any current pics of Timber that you would want to share? Also what kind of crop did you give him?

The only reason I'm keeping his post on for 2 days is because he still has 2 tiny scabs. I like to check them out and let them breath for a bit (and let him get more comfortable while posting, hopefully)

Last edited by Johnn04; 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

My signature pic is the most recent of him but the other 2 are within the last month...He has a medium pet crop I've been told.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

His cut looks straight. Is that the difference in a pet and a show crop? As a show crop is more tapered (curved) isn't that correct? Also he's a good looking pup!!! I know in white boxers they are more prone to genetic problems like blindness or deafness, is that the case for white Danes? I thought I read somewhere that Merle Danes are more prone to genetic problems but wasn't sure if it was the same for white ones like boxers....

Comment

Yea most white danes (double merles I've heard it) do have genetic defects such as blindness or being deaf. Also thanks! His crop I think looks straight because of him looking more straight ahead, they're actually pretty curved. His left ear is slightly more so than the right lol
                            Last edited by its_country_bumpkn; 03-26-2014, 06:58 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Side view
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh gotcha. So what's the difference between pet an show? Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X