Ear docking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear docking?

So, me and Hades are out for our evening walk when a woman starts jogging over to us. I get him in his sit and tell her she can greet. She asks why didn't I get his ears docked. What? I said you mean cropped? She said no, labs like him get their ears docked, not cropped. I tried to be nice and said, oh he's a Great Dane and I love his floppy ears. She said he was the smallest Great Dane she had ever seen, she knew because her parents breed them, and I should really get his ears docked, it looks better, then she walked off. I stood there for a moment trying to figure out what just happened. Hades finally looked at me like 'Can we go in now?' So, anyone here know any ear docking vets who can help me and my Lab out?
    sigpic
    LeAnna & Hades

I just love the "used to breed" people who make themselves sound like idiots. I've had people ask me when they stopped docking Danes' tails. Hmmmm.... about the time they stopped being boxers and dobies and started being Danes?
    Julie
    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
    sigpic

Comment

Gosh, what an idiot! I had a man in Petsmart last week ask when I had Diesel's ears "marked". At first, I just stared at him- I didn't know what to say! Then I just politely commented that he must've meant cropped and that Diesel had them done at 8 weeks. This guy then corrected ME and said cropped is not what it's called.

Don't you just love those "experts" who know more about your own dog than you do? *eyeroll* Best thing is to ignore crazies like that...

~Dana~
      Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
      sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

wow. how do you get danes and labs mixed up? even if he is little. they ont look anything alike...i think. i like the normal floppy ears i wouldnt change em for the world. but thats just my opinion for when i get one.

but still wow.....
        "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
        -Unknown

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
        -Roger Caras

Comment

No offense but if you don't know the breed they can be mistaken for other breeds, especially as puppies. It all sounds so dumb to us that own them and go to a forum to learn as much as possible about our obsession. The average Joe isn't exactly dumb, just ill informed. It's still dang annoying though. I admit.
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I totally understand the confusion, and love to tell people 'no, he's a Dane' and then answer all their questions about him. I just can't believe some people's audacity to tell me I don't know what he is, or I'm wrong about my pup. I try to be understanding and nice but If your parents bred Great Danes, I think you would know what they look like. I don't even think its them telling me I'm wrong so much as the rudeness. I try to respond politely and get attitude about the same amount as I get true interest.
            sigpic
            LeAnna & Hades

Comment

Oh, I get it, I do. I was more commenting to the person right before me.
              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                Oh, I get it, I do. I was more commenting to the person right before me.
                Point taken. Lol Totally agree.
                sigpic
                LeAnna & Hades

Comment

Originally posted by DaneLover13 View Post
                  She said he was the smallest Great Dane she had ever seen, she knew because her parents breed them, and I should really get his ears docked, it looks better, then she walked off.?
                  So her parents had magic danes who's pups where born full size? did she even inquire about his age? Seriously.
                  only tails are docked, literally the dock is the beginning of the tail it's an acual term for part of an animals body.
                  so you can not ever dock anything but a tail.

Comment

People are idiots, but in their defense( somewhat) most of us who have Danes know dogs period, we are dog lovers and probably know most breeds of dogs by sight anyhow, the average human who doesn't have the passion for dogs that we have would not have a clue for the most part, I've been asked if Harper is a Dalmatian, and she's a merliquin so she has a whole lotta grey on her, I have never seen a Dalmatian with grey! Just Dumb people trying to act smart!!!!!
                    sigpicHarper's Mom
                    1 GD,1corgi mix,1chiweeni,2 very crazy kittens picked up on road,3 teenagers
                    RIP Belle

Comment

Originally posted by kas160 View Post
                      People are idiots, but in their defense( somewhat) most of us who have Danes know dogs period, we are dog lovers and probably know most breeds of dogs by sight anyhow, the average human who doesn't have the passion for dogs that we have would not have a clue for the most part, I've been asked if Harper is a Dalmatian, and she's a merliquin so she has a whole lotta grey on her, I have never seen a Dalmatian with grey! Just Dumb people trying to act smart!!!!!
                      I get the dalmation comment all the time with Dually too! The best is when there is a little kid saying he is a dane and the parents telling them they are wrong that he is a dalmation those poor children lol.

I am very understanding of the fact that the general public is uneducated, but it is the people that are rude and insistant on the fact that I do not know my dog, that really erk me.
                      sigpic
                      Beacon 5-7-13
                      Brockway 8-20-15
                      Dually RIP 4-15-09 to 4-16-13
                      Diesel RIP 3-19-06 to 7-3-11
                      www.greatdogdesigns.etsy.com for a massive selection of collars perfect for our giant babies

Comment

Originally posted by katie1254 View Post
                        I get the dalmation comment all the time with Dually too! The best is when there is a little kid saying he is a dane and the parents telling them they are wrong that he is a dalmation those poor children lol.
                        I have had this happen quite a few times, where a little kid will know he's a Dane, but they parents will disagree (or the parents just don't know) and i think that's pretty incredible. When I was a little kid, I couldn't have even told you difference between a lab and retriever.. So I think its pretty impressive that they know he's a Dane.
                        My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

When I was a child, I memorized every dog breed. I knew the commone and the rare. I wanted a dog so badly. My parents were not dog people and couldn't recognize any breed.

Comment

Originally posted by katie1254 View Post

I am very understanding of the fact that the general public is uneducated, but it is the people that are rude and insistant on the fact that I do not know my dog, that really erk me.
                            I've gotten this too! I had a kid go, 'aww it's a puppy Scooby Doo!' And the mom goes 'no honey, that's a weim'. I'm like 'no, he's right, he's a Dane'. And then proceed with the 'I didn't know they come in that color', 'are you sure?', etc. lol
                            sigpic
                            LeAnna & Hades

Comment

Originally posted by kas160 View Post
                              I didn't realize how true this was til you said it. I can pick out many, many breeds on sight, even rarer ones. I watch a lot of dog shows, do research, etc. I've never really thought about it before! I just knew most people didn't love animals the way I do.
                              Last edited by DaneLover13; 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM.
                              sigpic
                              LeAnna & Hades

Comment

Working...
                              X