Moose - 1st ear unwrapping 10 weeks old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose - 1st ear unwrapping 10 weeks old

1st Ear unwrapping 10 weeks old (1 week in)

Thanks to the recommendation to use Dr. Schaffer of Frisco, TX, I'm very pleased with the initial results of Moose's cropped ears. This is his first unwrapping and I think he looks beautiful!

First pic is the day after he had them done and the second is the unwrapping 5 days later.

Last edited by Spdn4fun; 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM.
    sigpic

His ears look great already!! He's so handsome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    sigpic
    Melissa ~ mama to 8 human babies, and 2 furbabies! Lexi (almost 4yr old fawn great dane) and my new fawn male Leonidas aka Leo, 13 weeks old

Comment

Originally posted by Spdn4fun View Post
      Thanks to the recommendation to use Dr. Schaffer of Frisco, TX, I'm very pleased with the initial results of Moose's cropped ears. This is his first unwrapping and I think he looks beautiful!

First pic is the day after he had them done and the second is the unwrapping 5 days later.

Dr. Schaffer will also be doing my Danes ears as well

Ashley

Comment

Dr Schaffer is doing my dane's ears too! I am so glad to see such amazing results. His ears look fantastic! Love your pup - he is so handsome. Congrats!
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you everyone! We take his his second wrappings off tomorrow so I'll post some more pics.

In case anybody is wondering and nervous about which crop style to get, this is the medium-long cut Dr. Schaffer did. We originally went in with the intentions of getting the long show crop, but after looking at numerous pictures they had available and discussing it with the Dr., we liked the looks of the medium-long crop over the long show crop.
          sigpic

Comment

Unwrapping #2 11 weeks

2nd Unwrapping 11 weeks old (2 weeks in)

Healing up very well. Back to the vet Monday for a checkup and another ear wrapping.

Last edited by Spdn4fun; 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow! He looks amazing! So excited to see such wonderful results. I've been thinking I am going to do a short show crop, but maybe a short - medium if thats an option. My breeder will be taking him so unfortunately I won't be able to discuss it with Dr. Schauffer. Thanks for the updated pics!
              sigpic

Comment

Unwrapping #3 12 weeks old (3 weeks in)

3rd Unwrapping 12 weeks old (3 weeks in)

Growing so fast and healing great! Can't believe the changes just from the original postings of him. It has been 3 weeks now since we had them cropped and he looks so handsome. Sutures have been removed and it's amazing how quickly they heal. We just removed his 3rd wrapping and here he is showing them off

Last edited by Spdn4fun; 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Very nice!!
                    Bruce - 8 month fawn Great Dane - 132lbs/34.5"
                    http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70281
                    Shelby - 4.5 year old German Shepherd
                    Sarge - 3 year old Rotty/Boxer mix
                    Kinky - 1.5 year Siamese cat
                    Daisy - 1 year old Sphynx cat

Comment

can you tell me how you are taping his ears? are those tongue depressors? i would like to know if that ok so maybe i can try that route......the ears look amazing! thank you!

Comment

The first picture the vet put on what they call a "wolf rack". It's used for the first wrap after the initial crop. After that they use backer rod, which we are now doing ourselves. Currently using 5/8" backer rod that you can buy at home depot or lowes for less than $5 a roll. We cut it and wrap with duct tap for rigidity and then reverse tap with athletic type tape (you can get it at walgreens). This is placed down into the ears and sits on the "step" just in the ears, not down in the ear canal. The ears wrap around it to stick and then wrap with zonas paper tape. The bridge across the top is done by doing a figure 8 from one ear to the other with the athletic type tape. Just remember to pull up and back so you don't get pockets. Most importantly, do not tape tightly or you will cut off circulation to the ears. I can't remember where, but someone has a link to step by step outline of how to do this, with diagrams. If you go on the wonderful world of YouTube, you can search Great Dane ear cropping and there are videos step by step how to do this as well. The technicians at Dr. Schaffers office were very nice and walked us step by step how to do it so that was a plus.
                        sigpic

Comment

so lucky you had Dr. Schaffer! i hear so many food things about him and holy crap your pups ears look amazing. they look like they are ready to stand permanently! lucky dog! Macs ears were floppy for the first 2 weeks and then after that 3rd week things started looking good. im almost 2 months in and it looks like i dont even have to tape anymore but im going to keep at it for another month or so just to be safe.

Comment

oh yeah i also used knox gelatin after the 3rd week and it made a world of difference.

Comment

Thanks, I'm hoping it won't take long like some I've read about.

Knox Gelatin? First I've heard of it for cropped ears, please do tell.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X