Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cropping decision....

I know this topic has probably been discussed alot here... but
    I am having a super hard time deciding whether to have my new dane puppies ears cropped or not....
    Before I got him, I always said I would for sure do the ears, I just love the look of a great dane wtih nice cropped ears! But now that I actually have the little guy, I just don't know if I can bring myself to have his floppy, but beautiful ears cut off
    I just don't know what to do. I would like to see him as an adult with the gorgeous erect ears but I wish I didn't have to do it right now....
    errrrrrrr..... anyone else struggled with this decision?
    sigpic
    "Gia" and Olivia
    Am CH/Can GCH Kiltic Daynakin HunymoonNVegas CGN CHIC
    LiveSky Great Danes

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
    I know this topic has probably been discussed alot here... but
    I am having a super hard time deciding whether to have my new dane puppies ears cropped or not....
    Before I got him, I always said I would for sure do the ears, I just love the look of a great dane wtih nice cropped ears! But now that I actually have the little guy, I just don't know if I can bring myself to have his floppy, but beautiful ears cut off
    I just don't know what to do. I would like to see him as an adult with the gorgeous erect ears but I wish I didn't have to do it right now....
    Different people feel different ways. For sure. There has been some heated debats, here's my $.02:

I LOVE the cropped look
    Natural Ears look better than a failed crop
    For our decision, it was just more money and more hassle than we were willing to do, and we LOVED Layla's floppy ears. (I kind of wanted to get bostons ears cropped, but we didnt)
    I hate the way some people see natural danes as "second-class citizens" They don't call it NATURAL for nothing. To me if you have to change something natural about a dog to really love it, you might have the wrong dog.
    That being said, I repeat that I LOVE the cropped look, and definitely wouldn't judge someone for wanting it for their dog. We just decided not too.

Hopefully this won't turn into a flame war. In the end, it's about what you want, because you're going to be the one living with your decision.
    sigpic

Comment

Puppies die sometimes during this procedure....I didn't realize how often until after I had Max done (I did a search on this forum and saw how often it happened even with Great Danes just here). If I had had Max before he was cropped, I am not sure I would have done it.
      sigpic

Comment

I think this is where it is helpful for new owners to have puppies cropped by the breeder's vet before they go to their new homes. It makes it easier on the puppy and the owners. Being "removed" from the process eliminates a lot of uncertainty and possible regret.

I originally chose a natural eared pup and Scarlett was my breeder's pick of the litter, who was cropped. At the last second, we ended up switching pups because Scarlett was a better match for me and my lifestyle. So my breeder got the natural eared pup, and I got the cropped one. I absolutely love Scarlett's ears, but in a different way than I love natural ears. Her ears are just as soft and have just as much personality, and add to her beauty in a truly unique and classic way. She still looks goofy at times, yet regal, just the way a dane should look. I would absolutely crop again, even though it wasn't my choice the first time around. I don't miss the floppy ears that I played with before the litter was cropped - I play with Scarlett's cropped ears every day!
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

My dane is cropped because he came from a show home and I got him at 4 months.. he is absolutely regal and stunning! the taping was a hassle, but certainly do-able... he is incredible looking with a very long show crop...
          HOWEVER... my choice was a natural eared pup, next one will be natural!
          go with your heart. there is NO wrong choice with this one.
          sigpic

Comment

To me, if you are not 100% committed to a crop, you shouldnt do it. The risks and work involved arent worth it unless you are totally sure IMO

Comment

I felt EXAACTLY like you before and after I got Rupert. I always wanted a Great Dane and I always figured I'd have it's ears done. And when I got him I was so hesitant to actually go through with it. He was so cute with his floppy adorable ears. But I figured if I didn't do it, would I really like those big floppy ears on an adult Dane when I knew I had my heart set on the cropped look for so long? So I ended up doing it. I thought I'd regret NOT doing more. I love the way Rupert looks with his crop. That's all just my personnal opinion of course. A natural eared Dane is just as adorable and sweet. It's all going to come down to your personnal preference. Thankfully, we live in a place where we still have the decision to make!
              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                I imagine some struggle with it if they are more emotional. I for one have never given it a second thought because I know in the long run I will be much happier during the life of the dog. To me Great Danes look much better with their ears cropped.
                Based on your post I suspect you will regret not having it done, even though you will still love your Dane with floppy ears. So while the puppy will go through some discomfort (just like a baby does after circumcision), he will get over it fairly fast. The only thing is that you must make a commitment to properly tape his ears, or have a vet tech and/or groomer do it for you.
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Comment

I've had dogs both ways. My first came from the breeder cropped. In fact, he wouldn't sell an uncropped puppy to someone if it was their first dane which she was as he had people who changed their minds about cropping when the puppy grew to adulthood. I guess those people weren't happy or something. Imagine...not being happy with your great dane just 'cuz of their ears!! I LOVE two handfuls of big velvety ears when I plant a big smooch on the top of her head a hundred times a day. Having said that, she wouldn't look as goofy if I had them cropped and definitely more intimidating/regal but those things aren't important to me. How important are they to you? You have to try and picture your pup as an adult, and determine that for yourself.

Comment

I personally do not like the natural look, so the decision is easy for me. If you like both looks and are on the fence, I would say leave him natural. I left my first natural and regretted it almost everyday I owned him.

My last two were both cropped while still at the breeders.
                    sigpic
                    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

It's not something I would ever choose to do, but respect that it is a personal decision. I also think some colors look better than others with a crop. For example, I think some harls/merles/mantles look better w/a natural ear vs cropped. Just my thought.
                      The most important thing is to be prepared for the work that cropping involves. There are great resources here.
                      sigpicKelly

Comment

I left Bentley natural. I went back and forth, as I love the look of a cropped dane. Ultimately, I decided that since he was my first dane and I wasn't showing him, that it would be easier that way. That said, I do somewhat regret it. I love his floppy ears, and can't imagine him any other way....but more and more I am drawn to the cropped look.

My new dane puppy was cropped last week. I'm so excited to see how they turn out! It really helped though that she is still with her breeder, as I will only ever know her with cropped ears.
                        sigpic

Chelsea, Bentley, & Mercedes

Comment

Our next one will be cropped, no doubt about that. I regret not doing Milos ears, but he has perfect set natural ears. But you never know if you are going to end up with, Milos or Gemmas wonky ears. My sig. pic is a perfect example of what you can get with natural ears.
                          sigpic

Comment

I personally would always crop, I love the look. I can't imagine a Great Dane any other way.
                            Having said that, it IS a personal choice and if you are not completely committed to taping, then DON'T do it.
                            Natural ears DO look better than a failed crop.
                            sigpic

Comment

I personally didn't struggle with the decision with any of my dogs because I know that I love the look of a cropped dane. Of course, I worry when they are having the procedure because it is a surgical procedure and I am not heartless, but as soon as they are out I am fine. A couple hours later, the puppy is happy and ready to play again. Then the after care begins, not a big deal to me or the puppy.
                              ~Amy~

Comment

Working...
                              X