Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to tape

Hello everyone.
    I am new to this forum and also a new Great Dane owner. We have a beautiful 16 week old brindle bitch who had her ears cropped at 7 weeks. We have been following Jill Swedlow's instructions in her book,"The Great Dane, Model of Nobility" for taping the ears with stays since we removed the stitches about 10 after the cropping.

When not taped, the ears stand erect most of the time (75%). Mostly when she is playing, following a scent, or paying attention to commands. However, when she is relaxed or pouting, they fall out to the sides (similar to the pic on the top of the forum page but a little more).

Is this normal at this stage in the game? Do we need to continue taping or can we now stop? If we need to keep taping, what is our goal for the ears? Erect 100% or is it acceptable that they flop to the sides from time to time when the dog is resting or relaxed.

RE: How long to tape

Each is different but we had to continue taping until 6 months old and she had a shorter crop. Some of the ones with show crops can go through 8-10 months. If they are falling to the sides there is a way to tape the bottoms and pulling them in. Unfortunately I am terrible at describing how to do it but if you look through the archives, you should be able to find it.

I bet your brindle is georgeous. We are looking to get a brindle puppy the end of summer! Our first girl (Juno) was black.

Comment

Thanks Nona for your response. You are right she is a pretty girl. Just took her to the vet today for shots. She is 16 weeks and 4 days and weighs 50 lbs.

I may need to clarify my first post. Her ears only fall out to the sides when the tape is not on. When we tape them they are erect ALL the time. I was just wondering, when the tape is removed, if they should ALWAYS be standing straight up or is it expected that when she if resting or pouting they are out to the sides more.

Thanks again

Comment

Dear Rene:
        I was trying to look through the archive posts (but of course when you look for something, you can't find it!) and all I could find was when you have the opposite problem of when the ears t-pee inwards.
        But at 4 months of age, I hate to say it, you will probably have a couple more months of taping. Especially now when yours is probably teething.
        When we had Juno, her ears were erect about 98% of the time when we were able to get rid of the tape. Sorry I couldn't help any further!

Comment

Hi Rene,

You can try looking in the archives under "breath-rite strips". I have used them on our 5 month old who sometimes needs a little support at the very tips. I rememer someone posted about using them on the outside of the ears as well as the inside to keep them straight. I don't see why you couldn't just use them on the outside to keep them from tipping...I used a skin adhesive cause the sticky on the strips was not strong enough. If you use an adhesive remember to get some remover when you need to remove the strips so you don't pull hair and hurt elsa! Good luck!

Ruth

Comment

My rule of thumb for taping ears is tape until the ears stand or until the puppy finishes teething - whichever comes LAST.

Sandy

P.S. I do have written instructions if you want to email me privately. :7

Comment

Working...
            X