To crop or not to crop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To crop or not to crop

I just got off the phone with the breeder. Talked to her for the first time about whether or not to crop with future pup. She gets the pup done at her breeder at 7 weeks of age. The cost for the crop is passed down to the buyer, which I was expecting. The thing that makes me nervous however is that she very clearly stated that the risk/liability of putting a pup under anesthetic to do the crop is the buyers (mine). I really prefer the look of the crop, but..... Opinions please. How common is this? Has anybody else taken this risk?
    Tamara and Deuce
    sigpic

RE: To crop or not to crop

I would love to hear from established breeders on this one!

I cannot imagine assuming the risk for having the breeder crop a pup and frankly would look elsewhere for a puppy.

What sort of health background do you have on the sire and dam and on the pedigree in general?

mp

Comment

>The thing that makes me nervous however is that she very clearly stated that the risk/liability of putting a pup under anesthetic to do the crop is the buyers (mine).

First, I wouldn't pay for a puppy before I was able to pick it up. That means I wouldn't buy from someone who took my money and had the puppy cropped, but wouldn't be able to give me a puppy if THAT one died during surgery. Now, if I purchased a puppy that wasn't cropped, and then I had it cropped on my own, that's different and most likely at my own risk.
      Mandi

Comment

Is the look worth the risk to you? That is the question.

IMO, it is NOT worth it. My girl's ears are au-naturale.

Comment

Same here... Bree has natural ears, and no way would I have her any other way! Her ears are so silky soft, and I love the way they flop! I could never have put her thru cropping surgery.

Like the others, I wouldn't pay for a pup and then run the risk of that pup dying from surgery before I could pick her up.

Bree's Photo Gallery
          http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

I guess I see this from the other side. If it is your choice to have the pups ears cropped, but the breeder, breeders vet is doing it, it really is your decision. So after the breeder has explained all the risks involved to you and you choose to have your pups ears cropped why should the breeder assume the responsibility if there are problems, it was your choice to have the ears cropped, not the breeders. We did not have Asher's ears cropped, I was given the option of having the breeders vet crop, I said no if I wanted them cropped I would find a vet close to me that I was comfortable with.
            Lynn and Asher

Comment

I think it's extraordinarily arrogant of us humans to think it's ok to mutilate some poor animal because we think it looks better. ;-)

Comment

We're with you there, Debbe!

Comment

I have to agree with you on the breeders being responsible. If you have a problem buy the dog find a croper and then you'll be responsible. The price of the dog should come down for the cost of the cropping. This should make both of you happy. When you get on this website and talk about cropping your going to get alot of STRONG opinions. Everyone has the right to have one. My opinion is if you decide to have the ears cropped do the research and get the best and you will reduce most problems. One of the most popular cons about cropping is putting the dog under and the risk of them dieing. There is truth to this it could happen but it's very rare. The mass majority of the people that advacate this are the same ones that have their dogs spade or neutered. In both cases they have to be put under and it seems to be justified here by them. Bottom line be smart. Cropping is a choice which I believe in but if you elect to do so do your research on the best vet in your area and ask for references. Done properly reduces your risk of problems. Good luck in your decision.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/f9ccb057.jpg

PHOTOS: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=620459

Comment

I agree, but that's our personal opinions. I do have friends who crop, and while it's not what I like, they're still my friends!

Cropping is a lot of work. Most breeders don't recommend it for pet puppies especially if the owner has not done all the taping before.

My friend loves the cropped look, but decided not to do it because of all the work, and she is so happy she decided to stay natural.

Comment

I am not a breeder, but I did lose a Dane during a crop. He was one day shy of twelve weeks old. I like both cropped and natural ears. I have a male that is cropped and a female that is natural. Before cropping, spaying, or neutering, my gang had pre-anesthetic blood work done.

Tonia, Shadow, and Morgen

Comment

We prefer the cropped look here. Though my boy is just a pet, I love the majestic and regal look of the crop. We had him cropped, and though I had no prior experience with taping the ears, I learned very quickly and could tape him up in about a minute. He just turned 6 months old and he is absolutely beautiful!!

V

Comment

The breeder does all the major health tests, hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid and heart on both the stud and the bitch. She also requires that if the crop is to be done at all it will be done by her vet before the buyer takes the pup home. She is one of the top breeders of blacks and blues in Canada. The purchase price of a blue is $2000 (Canadian) + the price of the crop, if we were to choose that. She has left it up to us; however says that if we aren't at all sure about it, she would recommend leaving them natural. One of the other posts here is the question I have been asking myself, "is the look worth the chance of losing the pup?" I know that it is rare to lose a pup but that one in whatever number it is really scares me. She did tell me that they lost a pup during a crop two litters ago.
                          Tamara and Deuce
                          sigpic

Comment

Decision made, fiance and I talked it out for quite a while and as far as we are concerned even a 1% chance of losing the pup would be too much. He will be staying natural!
                            Tamara and Deuce
                            sigpic

Comment

Yah!!

Comment

Working...
                              X