crate aggression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crate aggression

we have had tilly for 4 months and started crate training from the beginning. lately when I tell her bed time she will go right in, I shut the door but when I go to latch the door she attacks. is there something I can do or say to stop this ?

You definitely don't want this behavior transferred to other situations when the dog WANTs something. Its hard to tell from the internet exactly what is going on from latching the door (stimulus), attacking (response), and then your reaction (consequences). I think you should consider looking at the larger contents by examining what is happening before, during, and then afterwards.

BEFORE: You give the instructions for the dog to go into the crate and the dog obeys. How does the dog view this and what is the dog's body language? At times, does the dog freely go in the crate without instructions which could be an indication the crate is its place for safety and security. Does the dog's body language suggest submissive behavior which could mean the dog does not like being crated.

DURING: Identify the specific trigger for the behavior. Is it you coming near the crate where the crate is viewed by the dog as a safe haven and feels you are violating its space. Is it the sound of the latching where the dog learned this is the final step to confinement and being kept away from its people?

AFTERWARDS: What is your reaction to the behavior? Are you startled, hesitate, or back off? Are you consistent in your reaction? You could be reinforcing the dog's behavior as the consequences.

Depending on the full content of the situation, the dog may either be resources guarding its safe haven or reacting to the fear of being confined or separated from its people. If either, I would do desensitizing and counter conditioning techniques to make crating a pleasant experience. Immediately, I would give the dog a distraction, an edible chew before latching. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lindalue View Post
      we have had tilly for 4 months and started crate training from the beginning. lately when I tell her bed time she will go right in, I shut the door but when I go to latch the door she attacks. is there something I can do or say to stop this ?
      You can do everything DPU suggests, including checking the barometric pressure and the phase of the moon. OR put the dog in crate with a treat and if she attacks tell her to Knock It Off. And mean it.

Dee
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lindalue View Post
        Make sure you don't pull back... This will reward your dog...
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all ...I can see it is me and she does startle me, I wasn't sure how to react. so I found the k-9 military school and am trying this ,so far just keeping her on a leash has taken care of some other issues ( she can hear me now) I was having with her,we have never adopted a dog this young.I want to get the training right now while she is still only 50 pounds.......THANKS

Comment

Please keep us informed. I am just starting this and it breaks my heart b/c she doesn't like it.
            sigpicDenali and Meiji --Unconditional Love--

RIP MacKenzie...I love you!

Comment

Originally posted by MacKenzielove View Post
              Please keep us informed. I am just starting this and it breaks my heart b/c she doesn't like it.
              I'm not making light of your feelings about your dog not liking training.. but there's loads of things in life that they won't like. Off the couch/bed, no begging at the table, etc.

As much as I love my Danes I always remember that they're dogs, not children, and along with love they need manners and training.

Dee
              sigpic

Comment

That is true....which is why I'm sticking to it! But I still hate the pitiful cries and the bouncing cage around the room!
                sigpicDenali and Meiji --Unconditional Love--

RIP MacKenzie...I love you!

Comment

Ditto what devil dog said. You might also want to keep a journal of where you are in your menstrual cycle when these things happen.
                  ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

Originally posted by MacKenzielove View Post
                    You may want to reference these sites and explore alternative modern approaches. There are many others and different approaches but you are the one that decides what is best for your dog and what you are most comfortable doing.

- Paul Owens, http://www.dogwhispererdvd.com/dog_t...g_advice.shtml

- Dr. Ian Dunbar, recognized by most as the premier authority on puppy training. http://www.siriuspup.com/behavior_problems.html#

- Dr. Jean Donaldson, http://www.jeandonaldson.com/

- Dr. Karen Pryor, name is synonymous with Clicker Training. http://www.clickertraining.com/

Comment

OMG

Comment

Working...
                      X