8 mo old sleeping in bed???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 mo old sleeping in bed???

I have looked through the old forums and couldn't find a thread about this~ I was not the smartest when I brought home my new dane puppy, she was so cute and my husband was out of state, I let her sleep in bed with me. Now, she is 8 months and neither of us can sleep. How do you suggest moving her out of bed. When in the living room she sleeps on her doggie bed, but when in the room with the doggie bed, NOWAY! Any ideas? I know, my fault, and I have most certainly learned to leave her crated when they are small puppies. I just want to start it now before it gets worse.
    sigpicOldy! But it's Abigail! "Finally got it to work!"

All you can do now is train her to stay out of the bed. Tell her no when she attempts to climb onto the bed. When she does get into the bed, correct her and give her treats when she gets off the bed by herself...

You may want to also crate her at night for a few days to let her know that the crate is her bed. She should get the message fairly quickly and start sleeping there on her own. Provided that it is made as comfortable as possilbe with a large pet pillow or something.

I am heading down the same road as we speak with my 4 month old. It is fine now while he's only 55lbs but when he's 160, it's no longer fun. I guess that I'll start with the same method that I outlined above.

Good luck.

James
    Once a dane lover, Always a dane lover.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I wasn't sure where to start, but I think the treats will help! And good luck, I know I am in for some sleepless nights, but at least it will be over soon!
      sigpicOldy! But it's Abigail! "Finally got it to work!"

Comment

I've run into this issue with my dogs. Problem is, even when I'd tell them to get down when I go to bed, they'd sneak up in the middle of the night. I don't usually wake up so now they just know to wait till I fall asleep. I have to lock them in their crates if I want the whole bed to myself.
        ~ Amber ~ Mommy to Zane & Regan (Danes), Jägermeister (Boxer), and Acosta (Kitty)
        Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue, Inc. www.rmgreatdane.org
        RAW Feeding since March 2008

Comment

Zeus and Athena both slept with us when they were smaller. We had to crate them with the doors closed for a few nights (whine's and whimper's all night long)! Now they only get onto the bed when we tell them it is ok! We usually get to sleep through the night and they want to climb up with us around 5:30 in the morning. We usually wake up around 6 anyway so we tell them OK and they snuggle with us for around 30 minutes. Good luck on your training!
          Richard, Dana, Walker (9), Jaxzen (6), Lynda (5), Zeus (1 yr old Dane), Athena (1 yr old Dane), Jack (4 yr old Mini Dachshund) & Lizzy (4 yr old Mini Dachshund)

Comment

Originally posted by kiwwigirl View Post
            Thanks! I wasn't sure where to start, but I think the treats will help! And good luck, I know I am in for some sleepless nights, but at least it will be over soon!

...and a nice stuffed Kong will help keep her occupied until she goes to sleep in her own bed. I teach all mine to "go to your bed" by tossing a Kong onto it and praising the heck out of them once they get on it and lie down. At least when they try to creep in your bed in the middle of the night, they'll have learned the "go to your bed" cue, then toss a treat onto it and hopefully she'll stay there for the rest of the night.

(And this is the reason we advise folks to let them sleep in their own crate from the day they come home. Sorry, no slight intended but this is why we say don't let them do anything as puppies that you won't find acceptable when they're adults.)
            Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
            sigpic
            Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
            MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
            AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
            Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I have some alternative beds in my room for the dogs. Some nights you just have to have the bed to yourself, so I have some comfy alternatives to choose from.
              sigpic
              Lori, Desi & Grimm
              RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
              Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
              Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

it'll take a bit of time and sleepless nights but you have to consistantly get her off the bed and put her back in her bed. if you give in and let her stay you lost any headway you may of made. Put her close so she can see and smell you and it should go a bit easier. I personally let my dane sleep with me but my border collies sleep on their beds. I know it's not fair but my other dogs do not mind, they do not know anthing else but to sleep in their beds. When we adopted Zoie I was told she had always slept in the bed so I thought cool. First and last dog to be aloud in bed. Really though, I enjoy having her there and she's such a good snuggler. I could do with out the late night baths she insist on giving me though lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

Doncnabb: That is soooo cute
                  sigpicDenali and Meiji --Unconditional Love--

RIP MacKenzie...I love you!

Comment

Call me passive-aggressive but I learned by accident that if I gently shove Dusty to the edge of the bed with her legs slightly hanging over the side and then "hold my ground" she will eventually go to her crate because I am crowding her!

Tee Hee!
                    _______
                    ~ Rob ~

Comment

I tried that one night and we now refer to it as the Battle of the Butts!

David

Comment

Rob, that is too funny. Now I know exactly what Winston has in mind for me ! He wants the bed all to himself. I am the one who ends up in the morning with my arms and legs hanging over the side of MY king size bed after he has progressively inched me over throughout the night.

* Karin
                        sigpic"From the fullness of his grace we have received one blessing after another" John 1:16

Comment

my dane sleeps in my bed, during the day while i am asleep, and in his crate at night while i am at work and my fiance is the only one home, so on my nights off he knows he is off the bed, until one of us calls him up there. it took some doing to get him to stay off if he wasn't locked in the crate but now he is content to be in the crate or on his own bed in one of my spare bedrooms, all i can suggest is put the crate in your room lock you pup in there when your ready for bed he may whine a bit but he will stop after you stand your ground and DO NOT give in to his whining or you will never get him to sleep in his own bed
                          Matt Brinkman
                          Bailey GD 3/18/08
                          Sphinx GSD 2/1/09
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mywinston View Post
                            Rob, that is too funny. Now I know exactly what Winston has in mind for me ! He wants the bed all to himself. I am the one who ends up in the morning with my arms and legs hanging over the side of MY king size bed after he has progressively inched me over throughout the night.

* Karin
                            Karin;
                            Actually this technique works better in theory. I too have a King Size bed and I will sometimes end up with less room than a 7-11 hotdog rolling in place
                            _______
                            ~ Rob ~

Comment

Working...
                            X