3 Steps Forward 2 Steps Back - Rescuing an Adult Great Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Steps Forward 2 Steps Back - Rescuing an Adult Great Dane

On February 18th, 2017, I adopted an adult Great Dane from a local rescue organization. He was discovered in a Central Florida shelter near death. He was saved by a team of angels. For now I would like to get recommendations on reading material dealing specifically with rescues...tips for the new owner of a rescued dog. Perhaps someone could also recommend a book that addresses adopting an adult Great Dane. I am not new to large dogs although this is my first Great Dane. I have read four books in the past week, two GD breed-specific, but did not find them particularly helpful. Thanks for any and all responses.

Hmm, not sure about books. If he were a "normal" rescue dog he would probably just be getting to the end of his honeymoon phase with you. They seem to act really well at first, testing the waters of their new situation, then when they get comfortable they go a little bonkers. Maybe if you specified what kind of problems you are having?
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

The behavior of most concern is his growing aggression towards my neutered male Black Russian Terrier. They get along 99% of the time but Rion, the Dane, is becoming somewhat of a bully. My male BRT, Boris, loves other dogs and has never demonstrated any aggression towards another dog. When Boris runs Rion gets agitated and attempts to chase Boris, growling. I thought at first that Rion was just learning how to play with Boris. ( He has been playing with my female BRT but she is much smaller and Rion is not intimidated by her.) The last time it happened Rion's hackles were up and he was clearly more agitated than I had seen him. He was also less responsive to my verbal commands. I was able to successfully de-escalate the situation but I realize that I will have to be diligent in my supervision of the boys. Any tips? I would love for all of the dogs to be able to play together someday. One other question is in regards to housebreaking. If I see Rion peeing in the house, what should my immediate response be? When I discovered that Rion was not housebroken, I began treating him like I would a puppy that I was housebreaking. He was making great progress but last night I had to leave him alone for a couple of hours. The last time I left him alone in his crate he broke out of it. I set up the new crate on Sunday and reinforced all of the seems with zip ties. Rion did not break out last night but he defecated in the crate. This morning he urinated in the house. I was unsure if I should correct him immediately with a verbal "NO!"....I didn't want him to go running through the house peeing me a river. I figured that cleaning up a lake would be easier. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Last edited by tpendarakis; 04-04-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing the right things. A book on crate training might be useful - things must have been getting pretty violent while you were gone if Rion broke out. I find Dogwise.com useful - they'll have some good books on rescue adjustment & adult house training. I've never come across a good book on Great Dane behavior. My understanding is that BRTs are pretty sturdy, assertive dogs. Great Danes are usually softer, more sensitive, and don't respond well to harsh language. I think I only said "NO!" a couple of times in my Dane's entire life -- mostly it was just "uh-uh" to let her know she was making the wrong move.

I would make it a point to have as many short, positive, fun & rewarding training sessions alone with Rion as you can manage - it can only help and might help a lot to build his trust & confidence and to firmly establish yourself as the source of all good things. The bullying behavior may be a trial coping technique for a frightened and uncertain dog. The archives here are a great source of information, but, as you may have gathered, the whole web site was recently re-done and we're all having a very hard time with it. I would also check in with the rescue from which you got Rion - they might have some helpful tips.
        sigpicLisa
        Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

This is a bit random - but is Rion a Fawn Dane by chance? Do you know the history of his name?
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Thank you for all of the good information! Yes, DanesOnline has been very helpful. In particular there was an article about doggie boot camp with some great suggestions. I've written to DogWise.com for book recommendations. (I didn't come up with relevant titles using their search function.) The new crate was reinforced with zip ties and locking carabiners and moved to a better location, (from Rion's point of view), so no more breakouts. I hired a trainer to come to the house. I have responded well to training! I've given up the notion that all of the dogs will play nicely together. Rion does not know how to play. BRT's play hard and it frightens Rion when they body slam and bark loudly. When Rion gets frightened he gets agitated and then becomes aggressive. So, we let the BRTs play and Rion stands beside me and everyone stays safe. On the trainer's advice I have become much more assertive in all things dog. Everyone seems so relieved. In just a week's time the dogs are much more relaxed.

Rion is a Harlequin. His foster mom called him Orion after the constellation but in Greek mythology Orion means Hunter. I live on a wildlife sanctuary. No hunters here. So as not to deviate too much I decided on Rion. In Arthurian Legend Rion means Pagan Giant.

Comment

Thanks to Rootlis I have found exactly the book that I have been looking for: "DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE" I bought the e-version from Dogwise.com. I haven't started reading it yet but will report back if the book is worth recommending.

"Do Over Dogs..." was great.. I do highly recommend it. I also read, and re-read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. Excellent.
              Last edited by tpendarakis; 02-18-2020, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I'm looking to adopt a Great Dane or any Gentle Giant in SW Florida....... I seem to keep running into roadblocks because I don't live in Broward County. Some of these beautiful Giants have been waiting for up to 2 years to be adopted. I have 2 wonderful Danes now and live on over an acre of fenced in yard. I grew up with Danes and Irish Wolfhounds. It breaks my heart to think that I can't find adopt because I am in Collier County
                Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you...... Pickles and Lonand's mom.

Comment

It is regrettable that you must live in Broward to adopt a dog from there. Perhaps they require home visits and can't send someone to view your place. I would recommend contacting Tallahassee Big Dog Rescue. Dee Ann is the founder and she has contacts in the rescue community. Dee Ann might be able to refer you to someone. I wish you the best of luck. You can send Dee Ann a message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tallahasseebigdogrescue/

Comment

Go to the GDCA site and look up the Great Dane Rescues and the contact info.. There are several in surrounding areas that Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue, Great Dane Rescue of South Florida, to name a few..
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA
                    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
                    X