Handling classes with no dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling classes with no dog

As I mentioned in another post, I've been going to my local kennel clubs handling classes every week. At first, I felt ridiculous going without having a dog to show, but I've gained a lot of information.

The first few times I went, my dane friend has been going too, so I've been picking her and her husbands brain about the logistics of it. They haven't been in the last few weeks (she's working out of town) so I've taken my sil with me. Without having the Danes as a distraction (, hard to focus with those big beauties beside me LOL), I've paid even more attention and I've actually been talking to them people after class.

Last night I ended up talking to the trainer. She asked what kind of puppy I was getting and when I told her, she gasped and said "Oh boy!" (sil said later that she mumbled something about them being hyper puppies). She then proceeded to give me a long list of things to start doing with him BEFORE I could take him to handling classes.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to post this, I guess it's b/c I've been nervous this whole time thinking about showing him. It's the unknown that freaks me out, but talking to the trainer last night and watching her really coax a newbie (the lady and dog), gave me confidence in myself AND their training program. They really took their time with that lady, giving her pointers the entire class.

I'm a still ready to show? NO, anyone wanna handle for me?
    My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
    Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
    Owned by Katie and Rio

Don't let that lady freak you out. Not ALL Dane pups are hyper. A puppy is a puppy. I would start some leash training when you get him home and an obedience class before starting handling classes. That's just what I would do. Others will chime in with more ideas. Relax. Have fun with your pup.

Martha
    sigpic

Comment

My handling trainer really emphasized the basics, for Ava when she was a puppy. I started handling class at about 12 weeks...more for me then for her at that point.

She had me get her used to standing still while going over her as well as just picking up and putting down their legs. She had no problem participating in class as a puppy, actually she was a little too calm and wanted to nap the whole time even during her teenage phase.
      I've got a cute butt!! Leif at four months.
      sigpic
      Jamie, Ava, and Leif

Comment

Yeah, she had told me to pull his lips up, stick my hands in his mouth, grab his "sack" and other things to get him use to it. (I'd already thought about doin that, but it was just nice hearing her give me pointers.

I'm not even sure when they'd have handling classes in relation to getting our new puppy. They didn't start these classes until Feb. so the chances of him going to obedience classes BEFORE handling classes are pretty good. Not to mention the puppy classes I plan on attending too

sigpic

*Jennifer*
        Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

The breeder will, hopefully, be doing all of these things with the puppy daily so really as long as you continue EVERY day then you should be fine. It only takes a couple minutes to stack, stay, gait a bit on a leash. Just very short sessions, but you have to do it. The breeder should show you what they have been doing. I would get into a handling class as soon as you can, you don't have to do that whole hour with a pup either, remember that.
          Meg
          AeroDanes

Comment

The breeder will be doing that stuff and will show/tell me what they're doing when we pick him up. They've also put me in contact with a couple closer to me that shows to help me out too.

Thanks everyone!

sigpic

*Jennifer*
            Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Working...
            X