"Adult Time" and Bruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Adult Time" and Bruiser

We've had Bruiser a little over a month. We've been able to sneak in "adult time" while both Bruiser and Copper are sleeping. However, last night was a little tough.

Bruiser woke up and decided to try and "join" us. He stuck his head in and started licking my ear and neck. Got my bf's ear and I believe he started whining. Thankfully we were just finishing.

Bruiser wanted to know what was going on, where as Copper just walks away. Bruiser is protective of me. If I'm wrestling with my son, he'll lick my son until he backs off and once he does, Bruiser stands right in front of me and leans, looking at my son like he'd hurt me.

I wonder if that's why he was whining. Any tips? Copper has learned over the last 2 years that when "adult time" starts, he leaves the room (or goes under the bed).

sigpic
    My father: "Great Danes are great. But I wonder what a Less Dane is." My boyfriend Ronnie in response: "A chihuahua"
    "Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." - Smiley Blanton

Originally posted by chelle View Post
    I believe he started whining.

the dog or your b/f?

as for the "guarding", this is something i would NOT want to encourage.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post

the dog or your b/f?

as for the "guarding", this is something i would NOT want to encourage.

LOL. No, it was definitely the dog. I just hope he doesn't think that he can join us in our time when it's just for us...and not furry four legged children.

I do not encourage the guarding. I don't think he is really guarding me, as I feel he's just trying to sit on my lap when I sit on the floor (or anywhere for that matter)

sigpic
      My father: "Great Danes are great. But I wonder what a Less Dane is." My boyfriend Ronnie in response: "A chihuahua"
      "Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." - Smiley Blanton

Comment

Olive has tried to "get involved" only one time. DH got a cold nose right in the bum .... ever since then she goes to her crate.

Just another one of those "dane moments"
        Wife to Brian
        Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
        <3

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lisa.gayle View Post
          Olive has tried to "get involved" only one time. DH got a cold nose right in the bum .... ever since then she goes to her crate.

Just another one of those "dane moments"
          We have yet to get the cold nose to the bum...He can't get up on the bed...but the couch, well, that's a different story. I think we'll just sneak time in somehow where the dogs are oblivious. LOL
          sigpic

Comment

Yet another reason why a solid "go to your bed" is so useful Zephyr sleeps through just about anything now haha
            Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
            Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

That's what crates and doors were made for.
              sigpic
              In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
              Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

A shut door results in extremely distracting "SNUFFLE, WUFFLE, SNIFF, SNORT, SNUFFFFLE!" coming from under the door.

The pets now just roll their eyes and leave the room, (and the dogs all have a solid "OFF the bed!") but we don't dare to actually shut the door on them--ha!
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

We usually have "Adult time" during bedtime, so Cas is usually firmly shut up in his crate. One of the many reasons I go "thank GOD My dog is deaf" he can't hear 'adult time'.

That said, there's been a few times Thoenix has gotten a wet nose to the bum or a tounge where it really REALLY shouldn't be! After I've let him out for morning cuddles!

Comment

Originally posted by Cas View Post
                    We usually have "Adult time" during bedtime, so Cas is usually firmly shut up in his crate. One of the many reasons I go "thank GOD My dog is deaf" he can't hear 'adult time'.

That said, there's been a few times Thoenix has gotten a wet nose to the bum or a tounge where it really REALLY shouldn't be! After I've let him out for morning cuddles!
                    It's tough having Copper and Bruiser up. Because while they may be sleeping, the second I move to go anywhere, Copper is up and following my every move....

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                    A shut door results in extremely distracting "SNUFFLE, WUFFLE, SNIFF, SNORT, SNUFFFFLE!" coming from under the door.

The pets now just roll their eyes and leave the room, (and the dogs all have a solid "OFF the bed!") but we don't dare to actually shut the door on them--ha!
                    Try that times 2...and when Bruiser wants something, he smacks the door hard enough and it pops open. I'm sure in time Bruiser will get the idea!

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                    That's what crates and doors were made for.
                    Bruiser is crated during the evening when we aren't up...but when we are, he lays on the couch, etc. I won't close the door on my dogs. However, if they're in the room with me and I want them to stay, I will close the door. Adult time is something that we manage to get in when both dogs are sound asleep.

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
                    Yet another reason why a solid "go to your bed" is so useful Zephyr sleeps through just about anything now haha
                    I'm sure in a few weeks when the boys have their own 'room' we'll be able to have better adult time.
                    sigpic

Comment

I am already teaching our pup "OUT!" so he knows to leave the room! No cold noses in the rear!!!
                      sigpic
                      Loving our first Dane, "Mozart", 5 months
                      Waiting at the bridge, beloved "Forrest", Shepherd mix, 01/04 - 04/11

Comment

The whining was probably a bit of excitement/anxiety/being unsure about the situation.

SOunds silly, but I would "practice" during times when he is already calm and relaxed and stop often to reward his staying calm. Also work on a strong place command. As he get desensitized to it and realizes its nothing to worry about or to join in on, he should settle.

Comment

lol another funny thread.

Try more "adult time" eventually he'll be used to it, and like your other dog, just roll his eyes and leave.

I had the same experience, first time Gus saw "adult time" he started barking, I think he thought my boyfriend was hurting me . Trooper is so used to it, if he see's/hear's anything of that sort, he leaves the room like "cmon mom/dad have some consideration, I'm right here" ....which is what Gus does too now...just up and leaves
                          - Bina & Trooper & Gus
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalLUVER View Post
                            lol another funny thread.

Try more "adult time" eventually he'll be used to it, and like your other dog, just roll his eyes and leave.

I had the same experience, first time Gus saw "adult time" he started barking, I think he thought my boyfriend was hurting me . Trooper is so used to it, if he see's/hear's anything of that sort, he leaves the room like "cmon mom/dad have some consideration, I'm right here" ....which is what Gus does too now...just up and leaves
                            Copper is too funny. He'll bark once and walk out. Kind of like wth mom?!

I think Bruiser will get it sooner or later. He tends to learn by example, so Copper is kind of 'teaching him the ropes.'

Fingers crossed for an event free 'adult time' tonight.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X