For those of you who have rescued...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who have rescued...

Is there any advice you have to make the transition from rescue to home as easy as possible for a dog? I am adopting a two-year-old this weekend, and I am trying to make it as smooth as possible for him. Any thoughts? Thankfully I have a three-day weekend to get him used to things before I head off to work next week.
    Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

It all depends on the situation the dane was in before rescue/foster.

Gracie was so afraid of everything she just wanted to live in my closet for the first few weeks I had her.

(she was abused, In and out of shelters, and starved, when she came to me. I was her foster home that failed.)

She eventually came around and then we worked together on lots of things, and well now, she's a spoiled rotten brat that will turn her nose to treats if she ordered whipped cream and believes she belongs on a bed.

Every dog is different, as well as every human.
    sigpicMom to
    Gracie Lou (GD)
    Boobah (Mixed)
    Charlie(Cat)

Comment

As Marj already said it depends on the situation your boy came from and what he has experienced in his life before. I work with a rescue and often help adopters through the first couple of days. Here is my advise:

1. Have fixed places for the dog to drink, eat, and sleep. Baby gate off were you do not want him to go. If you crate, establish this right away.
      2. Make sure he stays undisturbed at sleep.
      3. Think ahead of the rules you want the dog to follow (what he is and is not allowed inside the house). Best if you write them out and tape them to the fridge, that helps you to stay focused and consequent in your actions.
      4. Establish a routine for the dog, fixed times when he eats, goes to potty breaks, and for walks and when he is expected to chill. This makes it easier for the dog to adjust to your home, and makes him feel secure because he knows soon what to expect.
      5. Give the dog space, meaning wait until he comes to you for loving. And keep him for the first couple of weeks isolated, not much visiting from folks and friends, or other dogs, no large outings in case he stresses easily. Also it gives you time to get to know each other better before you encounter situations either you or he cannot handle well. It takes up to 6 month until the dog is really at home with you. Mostly you have a honeymoon period of ca. a month where the dog is really well behaved, and after that it normally shows how his real temperament is and in what scrapes he can get into .
      6. Start with easy exercises to establish trust. Teach him the watch me command with lots of good treats. Start on the sit and down also with treats. Check his education level and leash walking in the yard. Look if he likes to play with toys etc. Start grooming him by brushing him with slow movements and in a calm manner, See if he lets you handle his paws (also slow and calm and just massaging them a bit).
      7. If he has leash walking problems, teether him at home to your waist and walk around doing normal house work.
      8. Find out if he is easily scared by things (vaccum etc.)
      9. Don't expect too much from him, just take it nice, easy, and slow. The calmer and more surer you are the easier it is for the dog.
      10. Have fun with him and show him how much you love him.
      sigpic
      With best regards,
      Jeannette Luca & Leo and now Lilly & Sophie

Comment

Great thread idea! We just adopted a week and a half ago, and these are some really helpful reminders. Thanks.

Comment

jeann pretty much said it all! that should be a sticky in the rescue forum!

the one thing that stands out to me the most is the one about letting the dog come to YOU when he's ready. ashley moved right in and took over. it took bentley, ohh, maybe 3 seconds before he sought me out for lovin'. it took pea two weeks. even though she would not let me out of her sight and followed me from room to room every minute she was awake and she would NOT lay down unless i was sitting down...she was still very leery of being handled and loved on. once she got the hang of it, she never looked back! i remember very well the first time i got up and walked to another room and she stayed behind on her cushy bed. it was a kinda day!

your new guy may not have any issues whatsoever but it would still be a good idea to follow all of jeann's suggestions since you probably don't know his whole history.
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Above all else, post pictures on DOL.
            Julie
            Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
            RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
            Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danewillow View Post
              Above all else, post pictures on DOL.

Yep, thats my suggestion too
              sigpic

Comment

In addition to the already made good suggestions - I would add:

Allow the first couple of weeks to be immediate (household) family only to give time to bond/trust, etc.

Don't coddle or feel sorry for your rescue. "Poor babying" does nothing to help & can reinforce fears.

Good luck & congrats on the new addition!
                sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
                Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
                Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
                Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
                Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

Jeannette's advice is spot on

The biggest issue you see is that people are sooo excited about the new dog and just dying to show him off to everyone. The dog is disoriented, doesn't know who his humans are, and overwhelmed, and now he is thrown out in public or expected to deal with people in the new home. Lots of totally avoidable bad habits about dealing with people develop this way.
                  Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                  - Anatole France

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I am trying to figure out how much time I should spend with him here at the house this first weekend. I want to bond with him, but I also want him to get used to the fact that he will be alone at home for a portion of the weekdays. Should I spend as much time with him as possible this weekend, or is it more important to let him get used to being home alone right away?
                    Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

You can always include a couple of short trips out on & then lengthen the time.

With new fosters I used TRY to run out to the grocery or something on the Sunday - if I picked up on Saturday...but really - very rarely did I have that luxury. Seems like a lot of the time I ended up having to leave the very next day for work & all was fine.

With the exception of once case of separation anxiety - and even she was ok - tho I freaked out when I came home to a crate with bars pulled looke & in toward her - and what I first thought was blood on her blankets. It turned out to be saliva on an already dark blanket - but I so feared she had puncuterd herself. I ended up keeping her loose in the basement because she was more comfortable uncrated - but I was afraid she'd try to go through a window if she were on the main level.

<sigh> but USUALLY all was fine:-) and even in Cybil's case - she ended up in a wonderful adoptive home:-)
                      sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
                      Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
                      Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
                      Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
                      Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                        Jeannette's advice is spot on

The biggest issue you see is that people are sooo excited about the new dog and just dying to show him off to everyone. The dog is disoriented, doesn't know who his humans are, and overwhelmed, and now he is thrown out in public or expected to deal with people in the new home. Lots of totally avoidable bad habits about dealing with people develop this way.
                        I agree with Mary on this. This is one of the biggest problems I've seen in adoptions. Keep it calm and quiet over the weekend. Don't have lots of people over and don't run him all around town for everyone to meet. Just hang out and maybe take some walks. Give him space and let him come to you.

I would run to the store or something every day for about an hour during the weekend.

I don't know his story. Did you post it anywhere?
                        sigpic
                        www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                        http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                        Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaphneandRoscoe View Post
                          I don't know his story. Did you post it anywhere?
                          I don't know much. Just that his owners dropped him off at a shelter as they were moving. He cannot be crated (he is a little claustrophobic), but the rescue says he is fine staying in a room. I will have to get some baby gates.

I will keep it low key over the weekend and let him get used to everything.
                          Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

I would also find out what the foster home's routine is with him right now. When they take him out and feed him. Try to maintain that if possible initially. They should also tell you what they are feeding him so you can keep that the same during the adjustment period.

Comment

Originally posted by dane_adorer View Post
                              I don't know much. Just that his owners dropped him off at a shelter as they were moving. He cannot be crated (he is a little claustrophobic), but the rescue says he is fine staying in a room. I will have to get some baby gates.

I will keep it low key over the weekend and let him get used to everything.
                              Yeah get some baby gates. Don't put him in a room and close the door. Don't know if that is what they meant by 'staying in a room'...lol Some of them are fine without anything. Daphne had free roam from day one. Ross had SA so he was crated for months then had free roam. Ava was crated till she was may a year old..can't remember exactly. Romeo had free roam when he was about 8 months old.
                              sigpic
                              www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                              http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                              Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Working...
                              X