having a problem with maggots *gag*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having a problem with maggots *gag*

at our old townhouse/condo there was really never an issue, pick up poop, put in bag, toss bag in dumpster; done.

new house is actually a house so trash pick up is once a week. so we scoop poop into a grocery bag, tie closed, put in lidded can, and then transfer contents of lidded can to big garbage to put on curb for garbage day.

well the last two times we went to dump the "poop can" into the big can that the garbage trucks empty it was full of maggots. is there any way to fix this problem? double bag the poop? spray insecticide into can? i have to imagine the heat really plays a part, its been its been pretty warm and dry lately.

windsor's raw poop i could almost not worry about scooping, but the pup still has the gross kibble poop, so im wondering if its hers attracting all the flies.
    sigpic
    -Jamye: wife to Eddy; mom to Windsor (Great Dane), Dyna (Great Dane), Holley (Dsh Cat), Oogis (Maine Coon)

I spray raid into my poop can... no probs with maggots

Comment

I double bag whenever I pickup poop.............and I know many of you do it daily or every other day but I do it about once a week and I try to do it right before garbage day. I did it more often when I was boarding dogs. As it is, my dogs save half their poop for the dog park so not much to pick up in the yard...........most of what I can find it Gunther's..........everyone else's disintegrates.
      sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

If there are parks near you, just take her for a walk when she needs to poop and dispose of the poop elsewhere. That will get you through the summer. Otherwise, picking up close to garbage day is a good idea, or you can double-bag and stick them in a separate canister in a chest freezer.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

I always double bag. But, that doesn't always solve the problem! I wash my big can out about every 2 weeks (sometimes with clorox) and leave the lid open in the sun to dry. Also, as mentioned you could spray some bug spray in it as well. I have found that if I leave the lid open in the sun the day the garbage is dumped it has really helped cut down on this issue.
          sigpic
          Roxy & Ace

Comment

We've had the same problems ...

I use the grocery bag to pick up the poo, and then transfer into another garbage bag that I tie in a knot. Spray the can down with Raid. Keep the Lid on. Wash hands. Next day, pick up poop in grocery bag, untie large garbage bag, put poo bag in, spray with raid, re-tie bag, spray with raid again, put lid back on. Wash hands.

No Maggots so far with this method. It's alot more work than I'd like, BUT, I HATE maggots! Still alot of flys, so I have to keep the can far away from the door.
            sigpic
            One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why. ~Author Unknown

Melissa & Hoss!
            Gracie, Having a ball at the Rainbow Bridge 2/17/16.

Comment

I think we will try the raid for now, there isn't a neighbor hood park with cans to throw poop away in on a walk so wed have to bring the poop back home anyway. Would metal can vs plastic can help?
              sigpic
              -Jamye: wife to Eddy; mom to Windsor (Great Dane), Dyna (Great Dane), Holley (Dsh Cat), Oogis (Maine Coon)

Comment

We have a fly problem right now too. we have two lidded paint buckets, one for clean bags, one for used. We tie the bags shut, as well. We still have flies, so we went to tractor supply and bought a farm spray for flies and Dave sprayed the inside of the cans, but they get into our garage, and then in the house, so we bought disposable fly trap that lures and drowns them.
                Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Gamma Plastic's Vittles Vault.

I know it sounds odd, but this is what I do to keep Tiny's yard clean of big poop-bombs.

I went to PetSmart and picked up a Gamma Plastics Vittles Vault. The biggest one they had! Huge! It has a screw-tight lid system with a sealer ring.

I went to the very back corner of my fence and dug a hole... just deep enough so that the lid and neck remained above ground. At the very bottom, some ground up charcoal. About two inches thick.. and then, a trash bag.

Now, all I do open the lid, pooper scooper the back yard (ever day in the summer, and every other in the fall, winter and spring) and dump the poops in there.. close up the lid. The night before trash day when I'm taking out the cants, I lift up the trash bag full of stuff tie it off and take it out to the curb.

Every spring I've replaced the charcoal and not a single complaint from my'way too close' neighbors when it comes to any oders coming from my yard. Plus... I can throw bar-b-ques and all! No one notices, no one cares. It's hidden away. And NO flies! Nothing attacks them.

Comment

Spray the inside of trash barrels with WD40 - keeps the flies away, I've tried it - it works.

OR

Restaurants in open-air environment have adopted this strategy. I think it helps with flies and mosquitoes both.

Take standard sandwich-sized clear Ziploc bags. Fill them with water, add a penny to each. Tie a strong around them and hang them nearby.
                    Apparently these hanging bags of water cause the sunlight to reflect in a way that disturbs the insects. They won't fly near the bags. I guess it makes them dizzy or disoriented. Restaurants will use them to form a perimeter around the outside of the restaurant so the flies don't fly in. Think of it as a fence. Maybe if you put a row of these above your trash cans, they will stay away.
                    Laura with Kennedy & Lincoln (Truman waiting at the bridge)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day View Post
                      Gamma Plastic's Vittles Vault.

I know it sounds odd, but this is what I do to keep Tiny's yard clean of big poop-bombs.

I went to PetSmart and picked up a Gamma Plastics Vittles Vault. The biggest one they had! Huge! It has a screw-tight lid system with a sealer ring.

I went to the very back corner of my fence and dug a hole... just deep enough so that the lid and neck remained above ground. At the very bottom, some ground up charcoal. About two inches thick.. and then, a trash bag.

Now, all I do open the lid, pooper scooper the back yard (ever day in the summer, and every other in the fall, winter and spring) and dump the poops in there.. close up the lid. The night before trash day when I'm taking out the cants, I lift up the trash bag full of stuff tie it off and take it out to the curb.

Every spring I've replaced the charcoal and not a single complaint from my'way too close' neighbors when it comes to any oders coming from my yard. Plus... I can throw bar-b-ques and all! No one notices, no one cares. It's hidden away. And NO flies! Nothing attacks them.
                      this way sounds very interesting!! ill runny it by the hubbs and see what he thinks. the charcoal absorbs the odor correct?
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X