Clear All

Thinking of you today.
    sigpic
    Lori, Desi & Grimm
    RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
    Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
    Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

From your video he looked good and his spirits seemed high! Thinking of you guys today!
      June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
      RIP Dakota Blue Moon
      Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
      sigpic

Comment

For all of you kind people who are following the "Goofus" saga, here is the latest.

Took him in this morning for his MRI. He was so bad we had to help him walk in order to relieve himself.
        I was sure this was his last day.
        However,

The MRI is showing a disc 3 and 5 compression along with a large cyst which has formed.
        The cyst may be a result of the last surgery but unknown at this time.

The Neurologist described the event as a cascade after the last surgery.
        He had seen it before and has done four recent surgeries to correct it.

We have elected to bring him home and keep him as comfortable as possible until the first of next week.
        We will try to give him another shot at it.
        This time he gets a 60 percent chance it will be successful.

I wanted to have it done this week but being uninformed and all I didn't understand this will be a seven hour long surgery and the staff has to be prepared with a "game plan".
        I guess, even an engine overhaul takes some planning and research.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone informed the best I can as this could easily apply to someone else.

Here's one of the reasons we're so attached.....
        Attached Files

Comment

Great pic! My thoughts will be with you. Thank you for keeping us updated. I will be anxious to hear how it goes next week.
          sigpic

Comment

Hoping for a more permanent recovery this time for you guys and Goofus. Will be keeping you guys in my thoughts over the next couple of weeks!
            sigpic
            Crystal
            Owned by:
            Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
            CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
            Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
            Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

A few days before we had the MRI I thought it was too late. he couldn't stand and I too had to help him relieve himself. I laid on the floor to feed him. Today is two weeks exactly from the surgery and he is walking and today he chased a bug around the yard. I don't think he will ever be 100% but he can definitely hold his own now. Duke had disc problems and pressure on the spinal cord but no cyst. it is a very tough decision because there are so many variables. I know exactly what you are going through. I wish I had a crystal ball. One thing that helped was all the support I got here and from our friends at SLO Danes in California. We are hoping for the best for you
              Rob

Comment

Well, as I loaded Goofus into the van Tuesday, I didn't expect to see him again. He was unable to stand without assistance and we had discussed the issue the previous night.
                It's difficult. I'll say no more. Most of you have been through it.

So, Wife calls with the results of the MRI. Goofus has two more vertebrae which are growing to the point of pinching off the nerve canal.
                Doc described it as a Cascading effect after the surgery and not only that, he says there is a huge cyst which has formed as well.

Then he says that pending a consult with the radiologist, that he will benefit from an operation to remove the cyst and perform the same surgery he had a couple of months ago on the two lower discs.
                We've started him on a steroid which will decrease swelling in the area and give him improved mobility (we hope) and keep him comfortable until next week.
                Then he gets another shot at it.
                He's resting right now and is happy as a clam. He doesn't have a clue he is sick.
                Appetite is good as well as his mood. He really wants to play with the other dogs.
                I've got my fingers crossed.
                I'll try to get some more pictures posted.

Dogtag

Comment

Latest is that Goofus is scheduled for surgery again this coming Tuesday, the 26th.
                  In the mean time, the Wife put him on a pretty powerful steroid and with in
                  a day, he was able to start walking again. Pretty shaky at first and now, after a week he is not falling or stumbling anymore.
                  He's still a "train wreck" but he is able to play a little and get around the property which makes me believe that once the large cyst is removed and the next two vertebra are repaired, he might have a shot at a fairly normal life.

Surgeon gives him a 60 percent chance but that sure beats a zero percent if we don't go ahead.

Heres another recent vid after a week on the Steroid.
                  It's interesting to note how he swings his rear legs when he walks.
                  I've seen this on other Wobblers dogs.
                  I'm really hoping this thread helps any that may run into this situation with
                  their own dog.
                  There seems to be quite a few things that can be done to halt the progression of this crummy disease.

Dogtag

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBnQ2qEqjg"]YouTube - Goofus19.MP4[/ame]

Comment

Thank you for the updates. He is gettingvaround well in the video, and clearly a happy boy. He is very lucky to have you and your wife looking out for him, and doing so much to get him better! Good luck with the surgery. My thought will be with you. God bless.
                    sigpic

Comment

You're family is in my prayers. I hope that Goofus will be feeling better soon.
                      Mom to Leonardo and Titus

Comment

He's looking better for sure. Will be thinking of you guys and Goofus on Tuesday! Hope this at least makes him stable and pain free!
                        sigpic
                        Crystal
                        Owned by:
                        Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                        CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                        Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                        Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

I have never seen or had a dog with wobblers, so your post have great value to me for educational purposes. He seems like a lovely boy and I am praying for the best outcome possible. Thank you for the updates.
                          sigpic
                          Lori, Desi & Grimm
                          RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                          Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                          Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Hoping for the best possible outcome. Don't you just love your dog's courage and willingness to just get on with life, no matter what? Our dogs have soooo much to teach us; we should learn from them more than we do. Will be thinking of you on the 26th.
                            sigpic
                            Barbara
                            Mom to Skye, fawn (8) & Shane, black (7)
                            RIP Trisket, chi/pom mix, 1997-2011

Comment

In the video your puppy is getting around much better than Duke was. i had to pick Duke up and hold him while he relieved himself because he would fall over. he had his surgery 3 weeks ago tomorrow and if it was not for the scar you would not know he had a problem. We too had him on steroids before surgery and saw some improvement which led the neurosurgeon to believe the surgery would be successful.
                              We still have stamina issues but that should go away with time. Duke had wobblers but did not have a cyst. I know how expensive this surgery is. Your puppy is lucky to have you. I hope you have the same luck we had. If so it will be money well spent. Please let us know how it goes.
                              Rob

Comment

Best of thoughts on the 26th! hang in there, he looks good in the last video!
                                sigpic.....( picture is Vader..aka Monkey!)Elisa, Kenyon,.and Vader............... RIP Big Brother Rowjay (12) and Vincen (8) gone from Earth, but not from my heart!

Comment

Working...
                                X