AKC vs UKC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKC vs UKC?

I've tried a few ways of searching the archives for discussions on this topic - the differences/benefits/downfalls of both registries in comparison to each other. Can someone please clue me in on a search term or another way of locating threads. I keep coming up with nothing - either no results returned, or too many and it won't show anything.

Thank you!!
    Anne
    Puppy Raiser for TGOS & Dane Foster Mom

Not really for sure the difference other than the UKC is for Europe and the AKC is for America. You didn't mean the difference between CKC and AKC did you? Because it could be either the Canadian Kennel Club or the Continental Kennel club, the first being a legit registry for Canada and the second being a bogus registry a lot of bybers and millers make use of her in America.
    Michele
    Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
    RIP my loves:
    Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

UKC, or the United Kennel Club, is an American Registry.

It was formed in the late nineteenth century by folks who left the AKC following a disagreement over linebreeding. It is a privately owned company that for many decades registered primarily sporting dogs. (For instance, they did not have a standard for Great Danes until the 1970s or 1980s.) They now put on all breed (or "most breeds" dog shows throughout the country, but nowhere near as many as the AKC does.

There is no reason to register a Great Dane with the UKC as its primary registry. Many folks who like to show register their AKC Danes with the UKC and with the IABCA (International All Breed Canine Association). The IABCA leases FCI (or European) standards, show regulations, and registry format for use in this country. You can show in IABCA shows without registering your dog with them, but the dog's wins don't count unless you do register the dog within a certain amount of time after the first win.

The UKC is bigger in the Mid-West than in other parts of the country. (I believe it was formed in Chicago.) A few (half a dozen, maybe?) Dane breeders in that part of the country register their dogs with UKC only.

Hope this helps.

mp

Comment

Thank you for the information. I was under the impression the UKC was a poor choice for registries. I was trying to determine exact reasons of why to pass along to a co-worker in reference to a BYB she was considering buying from. I think I had enough other information to change her mind (I hope). But it still bothered me that I did not have solid information or a good grasp of why I thought the way I did. I keep thinking maybe I read a posting somehwere along the line with negative opinions of the UKC, so was trying to backtrack.

Thanks again!
        Anne
        Puppy Raiser for TGOS & Dane Foster Mom

Comment

Working...
        X