vet that is tampa bay -st pete area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vet that is tampa bay -st pete area

looking ahead to get do ggie his neutering surgery and want a vet who is aware of all the mishaps that can happen to a dane, also could i have his stomach tack up at the same time, what does this involve.thanks
    mikael

Hi!

I have a 4 mo dane pup. I live in st. pete and am taking him to the Animal Medical Hospital on 30th ave. number is 896-7127. Dr. Clark.
    He seems very knowledgable, however I dont think he "specializes" in danes, I do really like him.

His advice to me was 1. not to nueter until closer to 10 mo, so he will reach his potential growth, but also get him before the male behaviors become ingrained. 2. he will not do the stomach tack until they reach their potential weight, because they are not done growing as puppies (before a year old). Their stomach cavaties will still get bigger. 3 he did say he would do it while their under, like for teeth cleaning . He would not just put them under to do the tack.

goodluck!
    sigpic

Comment

i like gateway animal hospital. he have been bringing waly there for a short time but my other dog for two years. very pro, and i feel knows quite a bit about giant breeds. i have never felt that i needed to teach them about my breed.

I am also waiting a bit to neuter. I heard it is best to ensure full growth potention but with that said I have seen just as many reports saying that its a completely silly idea. Since I dont know for sure I decided to lean on the former.

As for the stomach tach from what i have read many dr wont do it till the dog is older and in many cases they wont do it unless there has been some sort of trouble. I have not inquired about this yet. I chose to just take the proper precautions.

Smaller meals, No water at the same time as the meal. Not no water at all just dont leave it down while feeding. No play time before or after eating. quaility food with high meat content (atleast the first 4-5 ingredients) for quality protien and grain free prefered, it may cost more now but most will be very glad in the long run. If you do all of the above you greatly reduce the chances of bloat. other then that I am not so sure there is to much you can do. you must educate yourself so that you are in the know but you also cant spend all your time worried about it. enjoy your time with your dog

PS: i DO NOT feed a raw diet but if you are super worried about itgeneraly speaking bloat is almost unheard of in dogs that are so that might be a diet choice you want to look into.
      Last edited by Elitereefs; 10-04-2011, 05:33 AM.

Comment

What you feed has nothing to do with bloat - it's more about general structure. Please do not think that if you raw feed you won't have an issue with it.

My vet in Lakeland won't tack until they are a year old, to be sure that they have the bulk of their growth done - she will also not neuter until they are at least a year old.
        sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
          What you feed has nothing to do with bloat - it's more about general structure.

Can you point me to the research you’re referring to?? I have been researching this for a very long time and this is the first I have seen this. Since most studies are inconclusive to what exactly causes bloat it is a very broad statement to state that it has nothing to do with diet as if that is a fact. I can point to many studies that say otherwise especially when talking about grain diets due to the vast amount of expansion. I don’t doubt it as there could be studies i have not read. Im just assuming you had back up and would like to read up more.

Comment

Please don't be rude. It's not necessary. You may have any opinion that you'd like, but please don't state it as fact.
            sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
              Please don't be rude. It's not necessary. You may have any opinion that you'd like, but please don't state it as fact.
              You must have misunderstood. I was being dead serious. Not rude at all. You made a comment as a closed ended statement which presents it as a fact that it had nothing to do with diet and I wanted to read about where this information came from. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on so if something else was out there I want to see it. we can never stop learning so I never miss a chance to do so.

I never said anything about my opinion being fact and left it open ended since I in fact don’t know for sure. I simply said she should look into it because of everything I have read. I also stated that I do not feed raw which also lends itself to the point that I don’t subscribe to this way of thinking.

I feel that there is a TON of misinformation out on the internet so when giving advice it is imperative that we never state something as fact unless we have proof to back it up. Your statement was closed ended as if it was fact with no room for interpretation. The above "fact" peaked my interest and I was simply hoping for more information on your research. I apologize if that somehow came across as rude as this was far from my intension. I am a HUGE science and research junky.

Comment

Blue Pearl is a wonderful facility, I recommend speaking with Dr. Reems about gastropexies and neutering. The website is http://bluepearlvet.com/

Comment

I think Finn and his owner live close to ST. Pete??

any how, tacking the tummy does help lessen the chance of Bloat but I don't think that it prevents it completely. food has some impact, but raw vs kibble I don't think has been pointed out. There are so many different opinions on the matter and the causes...
                  elevated feeding vs floor
                  kibble vs raw
                  quality food vs high dollar food,
                  grains vs grain free

I feed my boy Natural balance and I'm happy with it... slow and steady growth no tummy issues, poo looks good... I feed him 30 - 45 mins after a good relax and make him relax for at least an hour after wards, I feed on the floor. you can do things to try and prevent bloat... and tacking is a plus bloat my happen but the pexi could buy you precious time to get to a vet so torsion doesn't get them before the vet gets there.
                  sigpic
                  Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                  Titan - GD
                  Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                  Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                  Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Working...
                  X