Bone Cancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Cancer

My precious Fawn Dane was just diagnosed with bone cancer. We have a biopsy schedule for Thursday but Vet says its not needed X-Ray is definative. She seems fine with exception of limp. I am exploring options to extend her life including recombbiant bacteria vaccine and cyberknife radiosurgery. Has anyone tried these options. I can't get my head around my vets suggestion to euthanize since she seems like herself with a limp. I don't want to be selfish and will chase any option which will extend her life quality. She is 10 so don't want to go down amputation route.

Any guidance (good or bad) would be appreciated

It goes pretty fast and spreads to the lungs. At her age I don't think I would try anything. Your Vet is just trying to keep your dog from future misery by suggesting euthanasia.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully more with experience with bone cancer will be able to chime in with specific advice.

I feel your pain on not wanting to put her down when she seems otherwise fine. You'll have to use your judgment on when the time is right. I had a hedgehog that was the only animal I could have (even then stealthily lol) in university residence. He lived well with well managed congestive heart disease, but when he was five I noticed a large rapidly growing tumour on the sheath of his penis. He was otherwise happy, healthy, and fine. The vet and I discussed that while he might be okay today, things could take a dramatic turn for the worse when something reaches the wrong nerve or vein, etc. I took him in on a sunny afternoon, fed him some mealworms, and said goodbye. It was heartbreaking seeing him go while he was still happy and animated. But what if the next day had been awful and painful for him?

I guess my take away message is better a day too early than a moment too late. It's an awful decision to have to make. Hugs.
      sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
      Born July 7 2014
      Peach & Emily!

Comment

With her age and an already noticeable limp, it's likely the cancer has spread to her lungs

My Echo developed the limp and the lump and the lump grew very fast. She was still happy and active and ate like a horse right up to her last day. We had a month from diagnosis...The main concern with a growing tumor is the bone breaking where the tumor is expanding it and making it weak and brittle. You do NOT want that to happen.

Making the decision to euthanize is awful--really the worst thing I've ever experienced. You second guess everything and worry constantly, but I will tell you: Sooner is better than later. It's much better and less stressful for your dog to peacefully let them go before things get too painful and confusing and stressful for them. It's super hard to put your feelings of grief and loss aside and give them the last gift of a peaceful, fear free ending, but it's the best gift you can ever give. So sorry you have to go through this.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

My last dog to pass was a springer who had a broken leg. There was a car accident and it was absolutely horrific. He was in so much pain I honestly contemplated getting the gun to end his suffering immediately but I didn't know how bad it really was. By the time I got him to the vet he had been in pain for almost 20minutes and was just crying. It was a noise I had never heard before and it was gut wrenching. We did x-rays and the vet said his leg would need to be amputated due to the severity of the break which was not an option because he was a senior and already not very stable on his legs. I had him euthanized immediately before he had to deal with any more pain. I still feel helpless thinking back to it. If there was even the slightest chance of my dog having to go through that I would end on a high note instead of a low one. I would want a peaceful memory vs. one of panic and pain. I would ask your vet for guidance. I am so sorry your pup was dealt this card. Prayers to your family!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
            With her age and an already noticeable limp, it's likely the cancer has spread to her lungs

My Echo developed the limp and the lump and the lump grew very fast. She was still happy and active and ate like a horse right up to her last day. We had a month from diagnosis...The main concern with a growing tumor is the bone breaking where the tumor is expanding it and making it weak and brittle. You do NOT want that to happen.

Making the decision to euthanize is awful--really the worst thing I've ever experienced. You second guess everything and worry constantly, but I will tell you: Sooner is better than later. It's much better and less stressful for your dog to peacefully let them go before things get too painful and confusing and stressful for them. It's super hard to put your feelings of grief and loss aside and give them the last gift of a peaceful, fear free ending, but it's the best gift you can ever give. So sorry you have to go through this.
            i could have written this ^. what tracy went through with echo is exactly what i went through with bentley in july. from diagnosis to laying him to rest was 7 weeks. it is not an easy road to travel but you MUST think of your dog's comfort.

remember, dogs are stoic. it is instinct for them to not show pain. it will be hard for you to determine how much pain she is really in. if she is actually showing pain, you can bet it's probably worse than how it looks to you.

wishing you peace as you go down this horrible path. i'm so very sorry.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

*hugs* I am so sorry, this is such sad news.

Comment

Working...
              X