Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning separation anxiety

Hi all, new to this forum.
    I have a 5 month old Dane, Cali. I've had her since she was 5 1/2 weeks. Up to this past week she has been an angel (well almost )
    Potty training was a breeze, preliminary commands were easy.
    I do not crate her, but I do keep her in my bathroom when I'm not home. My bathroom is large and has always been "her bedroom" with her bed, toys, water, etc.
    I came home earlier this week to a flood. She had turned the faucet on and flooded my house and my neighbors house (duplex). My neighbor said she could hear Cali having a very bad morning around 9am barking and howling and banging around.
    When I got home the next day she had scratched her paws raw and was bleeding everywhere. I took her to the vet and he prescribed Xanax.
    Today instead of giving her the pills she started a new doggy daycare. Did extremely well.
    When I got home tonight she has not left my side. She has to be touching me. She has always followed me but now there's more of urgency like I might leave her.
    Our schedules have not changed. Before I leave I walk her...give her 30 minutes or play time. When I leave I give her a treat filled Kong and hide one other in the bathroom so she will find it later.
    I want to get this under control before it becomes worse. I type this as she lays next to me with one paw touching me.

How long is she left alone? You should really consider crate training, a lot can go wrong in a bathroom (or other room) if a pup isn't safely confined. We don't even let Zoomer out on his own yet (19 months) - he is either with us or safe in his crate at home for no more than five hours max. Which is very rare. He actually goes to his crate by choice all the time when we are home - it's his safe spot, not a "cage."

Doggie day care might end up being a great thing for her - just see how it goes. If she is being extra clingy I would just chalk it up to being stressed over the change and she may be worried about you leaving her. That being said, Zoomer is a needy Velcro dog (unless he's being an a$$ at the dog park or beach pretending he can't hear me call him back lol!) He will literally whine at the gate to our hallway, seeing us not three feet away dressing our boys for bed!!! And he can't tolerate being left inside when we are attempting barbecues outside w/ friends, sigh. That's just a part of the breed I think - they truly want to be with "their people."

As far as Xanax - that seems a bit premature IMHO. Take a bit to see how she adjusts to daycare before considering drugging her - she's still a baby after all!
    Last edited by lisacp75; 09-03-2015, 09:31 PM.
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

She's left alone for around 6 hours. The only reason it worries is because she's being doing fine but now she's acting as if I'm going to run away forever. She has always been more independent...you know playing in the yard by herself..playing in the bedroom by herself...but now it's as if she can't play unless I'm playing with her.
      The only reason I have considered the Xanax is because she is hurting herself. I mean blood bath everyday hurting herself.
      I am looking into getting her a crate, but that also worries me. When she staying with a friend for a few days a few weeks ago she scabbed her nose up pretty good from it.
      I expected her to be clingy from the breed, but there is such a sense of urgency with her clingyness.
      I get that she is still a puppy. I keep reminding myself that, its hard to see her so....for lack of a a better word (haven't had my coffee yet) upset/worried.
      I'm trying to relocate so I can work from home...but that begs the question is that going to make this worse? I know it will be good for her In the now...but in the long run... Let's say I have to go back to commuting to work...is that going to make it 10x harder on her.

Comment

I've heard that dogs go through "fear stages" at different ages, so maybe she is starting now. How long was she in the crate at your friend's house? Bcz if you are going to crate train, it needs to be baby steps, just as though she was a puppy again. I wouldn't expect her to do well with the door closed at all at first. It has to be made into her safe haven with treats, soft bedding etc. It will probably take quite a while unless you can take a week or two off of work. So maybe Doggy Daycare is the best option until you are at a point where you can successfully crate train her? At least that is probably cheaper than vet bills - ouch!

I wouldn't worry too much about the future as far as switching from working at home to not working at home, but again if it were to happen you would want to make it a slow transition. If you end up working from home, vary the routine so she doesn't get too dependent on you - take breaks by leaving the house, maybe work from a coffee shop from time to time. And keep in mind, typically as they age they become more comfortable for longer stretches and seem to have less energy demands by age 2-3 which helps. Keep us posted!
        -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Working...
        X