This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! So Glad to Be Here!

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to have found this forum. I have been wanting a Great Dane for about 15 years now and am finally in a position to have one! I have done extensive research about the breed and have interviewed several reputable breeders. I found a breeder one hour from my house which is awesome because I can visit my puppy and watch her grow! She is 3 weeks old now, I'm going to see her next week at 4 weeks old. Can't wait to see her! I'd post a pic, but I have no clue yet how to do that.

Since I am paying $2500 for this dog with full registration, I intend to start training and showing her as soon as possible. One of this breeders male puppies from last year started showing at 6 months old and has won first place every time. I have no doubt that my girl will do good, but I have never showed before, and really don't know where to start. Any advice??

Thanks and I look forward to many more discussions with this group! And I can't wait to pick up my baby girl on August 13th.

Hi. Welcome. What color is your puppy?

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
      Hi. Welcome. What color is your puppy?
      She is Blue. I have 2nd choice female... I chose this one already so hoping the first family doesn't pick her (they haven't been able to choose yet).

This is her at 6 days old

Comment

Had to remove pics of parents. Oops!
        Last edited by BluDaneLvr; 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: Removing pics of parents since I don't own them

Comment

Just want to make sure you know that they've been health tested with results on OFA? It seems a little odd that they let you pick that young, and are selling you a show prospect. Show pups aren't chosen until they're older and the breeder can evaluate them.
          Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
          Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
            Just want to make sure you know that they've been health tested with results on OFA? It seems a little odd that they let you pick that young, and are selling you a show prospect. Show pups aren't chosen until they're older and the breeder can evaluate them.
            Yes, parents have all health testing and certificates done. There are 4 females in the litter, 2 of which the breeder thinks will be show quality. If the other family chooses the orange one that I want, I'll get the other female. I'm hoping they don't though since they just want one for a pet and not to show.

Comment

Originally posted by BluDaneLvr View Post
              Yes, parents have all health testing and certificates done. There are 4 females in the litter, 2 of which the breeder thinks will be show quality. If the other family chooses the orange one that I want, I'll get the other female. I'm hoping they don't though since they just want one for a pet and not to show.
              Good to hear about the health testing I would hope that the breeder would want the show quality pup in a show home. I can't imagine a breeder letting a pet home take a show prospect when there is a show home waiting.
              Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
                Good to hear about the health testing I would hope that the breeder would want the show quality pup in a show home. I can't imagine a breeder letting a pet home take a show prospect when there is a show home waiting.
                Yeah, I'm hoping that's what happens. But I guess since there are 2 prospects and I'm the only one that's expressed an interest to show, either one would work. The other family just happened to have their deposit in first, so they get first choice.

Comment

welcome to DOL and congrats on your puppy! the dad looks nice and so does momma. must be the picture, i assume she is a blue but she looks brown.

you should probably go back and edit your post to delete the pics of the mom and dad...we aren't allowed to post pics of dogs that we don't own (without owner permission).
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

Welcome! Your girl is too cute
                    sigpic
                    Daisy (Shih Tzu) 3/23/2009
                    Brody (Shih Tzu) 10/04/2013

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
                      welcome to DOL and congrats on your puppy! the dad looks nice and so does momma. must be the picture, i assume she is a blue but she looks brown.

you should probably go back and edit your post to delete the pics of the mom and dad...we aren't allowed to post pics of dogs that we don't own (without owner permission).
                      Oops, didn't know that! I'll delete them. And yep, both blue.

Comment

that's what i figured but had to ask out of curiosity.

have you picked out a name for your pup? the waiting must be awful!!
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
                          that's what i figured but had to ask out of curiosity.

have you picked out a name for your pup? the waiting must be awful!!
                          I'm thinking about calling her Zoey. Her registered name is probably going to be Razzle Dazzle Diamond (the breeder named her Razzle).

And the waiting is torture! But the good thing is she's only an hour away, so I can visit

Comment

And the waiting is torture! But the good thing is she's only an hour away, so I can visit
                            I know how you feel, the wait for Waylon seemed like forever, but it was SO worth it!
                            sigpic
                            Daisy (Shih Tzu) 3/23/2009
                            Brody (Shih Tzu) 10/04/2013

Comment

I'm thinking about calling her Zoey. Her registered name is probably going to be Razzle Dazzle Diamond (the breeder named her Razzle).

I have a girl named Zoey too! Great name!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X