My first dane!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first dane!

So, I have my first dane! I totally didn't expect it - my friend was looking for a dane for her husband, and heard about a lady who had a litter. She called to see if she was an actual breeder and get more information. Turns out the woman claimed she had rescued the mom and dad and then they "accidently" got together before she was spayed. My friend ended the conversation and continued to look for either a rescue she was interested in or a reputable breeder.
    Two days later the woman called my friend back because she knew we were vet techs and wanted help - she said the whole litter was sick, and that one puppy had already died. She said they had coccidia and hookworms, but we suspect they probably all had parvo. We tried to help her the best we could, but she was 6 hours from us.
    Two weeks later, half the litter had died, and the woman had 4 puppies left. She said they were doing better, and thanked us for "helping" and talking to her. She offered my friend a free puppy. My friend figured she'd go and see what the puppies looked like. She took me with her.
    We were not prepared for what we found...4 emaciated puppies. One that wouldn't even stand or walk, and the others not much better. We felt horrible, my friend picked one up that she knew she was taking, and we asked about the others. She told us she wanted $300. After talking to her for about an hour, she ended up giving us 2 other puppies for free - she simply wouldn't get up the last one.
    So, we took all 3 puppies back home, the original friend took one, another friend took the one that couldn't even walk, and I took one. After a day of food, some dewormer, and some love, they are already doing amazing. They are still thin, but looking much better than before.
    So, without further ado, here's my new baby...June Bug. lol. I know...funny name....

First day -

All three at work -

Already looking better 2 days later -

Me and June Bug 2 days ago -

Any words of wisdom for a first time dane owner?

Welcome to DOL! I think June Bug is the perfect name for her, she has the cutest most expressive face!

As a first time dane owner, I am sure there will be plenty of questions that come up, and DOL will be a wonderful place of support.

Thank you and your friends for saving the 3 babies you could. June Bug will repay you with so much love, and an addiction to the breed!

Comment

OMG, what a sad, sad story....except the point where you rescued those poor babies. BIG HUGS!!! You did a wonderful thing. That woman should be reported. :: sigh :: I hope your June Bug continues to improve--she's a beauty. LOVE the blue eyes. How old is she?? I'm looking forward to your dane stories!!!

Comment

to DOL!!!! Glad the pups are doing well.

I sure hope you convinced this woman what a disaster breeding this pair was, and urged her to spay the bitch rather than going through this again. If not, betcha you'll see her pop up with another litter in a few months. UGH!!!!
        Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
        sigpic
        Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
        MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
        AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Holy moly. I'm so happy you helped. June Bug is an adorable name! Good luck....Danes are unlike any other dog you've ever had. They're so smart! Start potty training right away with a crate.
          Enjoy your new baby!
          sigpic
          The boys!
          Dax 4/18/08 and Argos 4/09/09

Comment

We did urge her to spay her female and neuter her male...I don't know for sure if she'll do it or not...who knows. The whole situation was very strange - she claimed she really did care for the puppies, and cried when we were taking them, yet they were in very poor condition. She is 9 weeks old now, and growing like a weed already! She's gaining weight quicker than the other two, but they are all doing well. Thank you guys for your kind words, and I'm sure I'll be posting with lots of questions - this is bound to be interesting. Oh, and oddly enough, I have 3 dogs, and they all have blue eyes...fate??

Comment

Welcome to DOL. You and your friend are wonderful for taking those babies away from a situation like that. She is just precious and very lucky to have you.
              Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

Welcome to Dol. You guys did a wonderful thing by rescuing these puppies from a horrible fate. I am glad you were able to save some from this woman.
                sigpic

Comment

If there is someone to report this lady to, I would. Good job in talking her out of 3, that would be no easy task. She is a lil' June Bug, so suiting. Welcome to DOL!
                  sigpic
                  Lori, Desi & Grimm
                  RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                  Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                  Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Last edited by BicycleBabe; 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! She is cute, and definately a character!

Comment

Congrats

Cangrats she is a cutie!!
                        Last edited by RebeccaGriffin; 07-04-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Only a genius could come up with such an awesome name! (My cat's name is Junebug, too.)
                          Good luck with the new pup. Get a crate, stat! :P

Comment

Welcome! June Bug is a darling. What a difficult start. So glad these pups were rescued from that situation. Looking forward to watching your little bug grow!
                            Ann & John and Navy (b. 1/5/14)
                            Whisper (Avatar 3/9/07 - 11/19/13)

Zip (2000-2007 - waiting at the Bridge)
                            http://dolforum.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1215894342

Also at the Bridge: Woof, Natasha, Kippie, Black Jack, Thumper, Nigra Altair and Sean

Comment

How cute! Welcome to DOL!
                              ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X