Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowhock and rolling left leg- anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowhock and rolling left leg- anything I can do?

Went to the vet today for last set of shots and checkup. Vet said he is cowhocked and his front left knee rolls out. He said could grow out of it and just be apart of his current growth spurt so we will reeval in 3 months.

My question...is there anything I can do for either or both to help correct them?
    ~Lauren~
    Proud momma to Gronk, a gorgeous Blue DOB 9/18/15

This might be a dumb question but what is the front knee?
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
      This might be a dumb question but what is the front knee?

Front knuckle? The lower knobby part...the big joint in the front. I'm sure it has a technical name lol
      ~Lauren~

Comment

Wrist? They are more like people than you think.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Gronk View Post
          Front knuckle? The lower knobby part...the big joint in the front. I'm sure it has a technical name lol
          The wrist joint on the front leg?
          image.jpg
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Yes the wrist! It's late lol my brain said nope hahaha

So his left wrist rolls out when walking/running. I don't notice it much but vet had tech walk away and walk back with him for me to see how that leg moves.Vet said could be growth spurt (which he is in) and could correct since growth plates aren't fused. So question is what can I do to help that? Any wraps or braces? I'm limiting play for a few weeks. We have a flight of stairs he can go up and down and vet said that's fine but now I'm uber concerned.

Cowhock is pretty bad. When he sits it's like he literally sits on his butt bones instead of legs and then his legs "V" out with feet up off ground. Walking I can see his back legs toe out and hocks turn in. I read they can outgrow this but want to facilitate whatever I can.

Sooo any suggestions for either of these? Any one with experience with either of these with opinions?
            Last edited by Gronk; 01-05-2016, 07:16 PM.
            ~Lauren~

Comment

I was told that lots of play/exercise (of the non-forced variety) to strengthen the rear end would help correct cow hocks, if it was going to happen.
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I've seen a puppy with really bad wrists have them wrapped in vet wrap and they corrected. But it sounds like yours is a pretty minor case, if you didn't notice it.

My mom's mastiff had cowhock and her gate was messed up too, she had a bunny hop look. She blew out her ACL unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by Gronk View Post

Cowhock is pretty bad. When he sits it's like he literally sits on his butt bones instead of legs and then his legs "V" out with feet up off ground. Walking I can see his back legs toe out and hocks turn in. I read they can outgrow this but want to facilitate whatever I can.

Sooo any suggestions for either of these? Any one with experience with either of these with opinions?
                  Cow hocks are congenital and can't be fixed. It is what it is. Sometimes it's a problem and sometimes it's not. It could be the source of a future hip problem or maybe not. It could be just current growth or he could be cow hocked his whole life. If he is truly cow hocked, he just has a terrible rear end conformation. Your pup is too young and still growing to make some definitive answers. Watch .. wait.. and see.

Our rescued pit-mix is cow hocked and he also sits directly on his butt (not his bent legs / feet). He will be 6 this spring. He also has stick straight back legs too. There isn't an angle to his rear end at all. It's shitty breeding, nothing more.. nothing less. Thus far, he has had no problems and runs like the wind. He has exceptional mobility with no problems so far (knock on wood). Although, I suspect it will eventually become an issue as he ages. The only trouble he has had with it is he tends to break the outer toenail because the foot curves out, he catches the nail on things.

Don't bother with thinking of wraps or braces. You can't fix a conformation problem.
                  Last edited by Angel7292; 01-05-2016, 08:24 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I wanted to add a couple things about your wrist joint concern. Unless it's a vet very familiar with giant breeds, he may not be familiar with the weird and knobby look to a dane pups legs. If you are concerned about the wrists or the potential cow hocks, your best bet is to follow up with an ortho vet. They would have much more experience and can advise if you have an issue to deal with or not.
                    sigpic

Comment

Does the wrist turn out while standing or just while moving? Can you post a picture of him standing from the front?
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey
                      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                      X