Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneuous pneumothorax in my 9 yr old

Hi all,

I'll just kind of jump right in. I'm really looking for theories and treatment ideas out of this post. And before I get into it, we have had many, many xrays done as well as a CT scan, and cancer does not seem to be the cause (in fact, nothing is showing up on xrays either).

My 9 year old Great Dane developed a spontaneous pneumothorax a few months ago and we are still fighting it. She has gone through many thoracocentesis procedures during that time (too many to count actually). I know a lot of people would not want to put their pet through this, but she does really well during the procedure and responds really well after. On top of the thoracocentesis, we have used a chest tube (which I will get into more a little later) and, most recently, had a pleurodesis procedure performed. However, none have completely remedied the issue.

My vet all along the way has been very skeptical about her ability to recover. He feels that there are numerous bullae that keep rupturing. I really don't believe he gave her much of a chance at first. But after removing air from her chest several times, he got to see how well she bounces back and just how normal she is. So, he's starting to come around to my crazy ideas and treatment questions. But, after about 3 months, we are running out of options. Still, I'm not giving up yet...

About a month, maybe 5 weeks ago, we went the chest tube route. They stopped getting air out after the first day on the tube and only pulled air out for a few seconds after she was off the suction for 5-10 minutes for a walk. By the 3rd day, they didn't notice any air. An interesting thing happened after the tube was removed. She actually kept leaking air, but the air made its way out of the tunnel caused by the tube (after it was removed) and terminated under her skin. From there, it was easily removed by inserting a needle into her skin and gently squeezing it out (I could manage this from home). This went on for a couple of weeks and the leaking appeared to stop or at least significantly slowed to a trickle. The air stopped filling up under her skin and her breathing was, for the most part, normal. However, she also has rhinitis (a scope, biopsy and a separate CT scan did not show cancer there either), so after a long bout of reverse sneezing, her pneumothorax returned.

I have inquired about inserting a tube, or whatever else, to emulate that opening allowing the air to leak out and settle under her skin. My idea was a low profile tube with a one way valve that flared at the end so it could be sutured under the skin. After a couple weeks of my vet asking around to human and animal doctors, nothing has been found. As far as he can tell, it's nothing that's been done before.

Now, we are at the point of inserting a permanent chest tube so her condition can be managed from home. He normally would not do anything like this (and would not have even given it a second though when we first came to him), but again, he sees how normal she is with the air removed, and how she's really beat all odds so far, so he's coming around. We're both well aware of the chance of infection, but options are getting thin. Out of the options that are left, this is probably the best as crazy as it seems.

Apparently, chest tubes are run toward the back of the dog. I don't know how feasible this is, but I've inquired about running it forward and under her skin so it terminates around her neck. I figure if it runs back, she's more likely to roll over on it and move it around too much. This would also put it in a position where she could not turn around and bite at it. The vet is going to talk to the surgeon and see if it can be done. He said it running under her skin for a length would actually lessen the chance for infection because bacteria would move very slowly up the tube.

Surgery is going to be the very last option since nothing is showing up on scans. We would likely say our goodbyes before hand because if it is numerous ruptures that can't be healed, I don't want her going through the recovery from that and still have to constantly go through some sort of air removal. Out of all my crazy theories, that's where I'll draw the line.

Anyway, out of this long rant, I'm hoping to find if there are more ideas or treatment options I can try including anything herbal that might help heal her lungs (we've been using yunnan baiyao for her nosebleeds and that seems to work great so I'll keep an open mind). I'm also interested in hearing if anyone has had a similar experience and what you tried that did or didn't work.

Thanks for reading

Wow..That's real interesting and I hope things go well for you. Keep us posted.

Comment

Years ago I had a dane with bullaes on the lungs. The vet cut out
      the bullae. She was 6 at the time. She lived until 12 when she died of sinus cancer.

Is cutting the bullaes out an option for her?
      "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Originally posted by audreys View Post
        Years ago I had a dane with bullaes on the lungs. The vet cut out
        the bullae. She was 6 at the time. She lived until 12 when she died of sinus cancer.

Is cutting the bullaes out an option for her?

Well, we really don't know since absolutely nothing is showing up on the ct scan or xray. How many did they cut out?

And sorry to hear about the sinus cancer. We thought ours had sinus cancer back in November and were prepared to make a 13 hour drive to New York for cyber knife treatment. Had the appointment scheduled and hotel booked when we found out they sent an incomplete report (the scans had to be sent off for interpretation). Dodged a bullet there but now we have this mess to deal with.

Comment

It was so long ago but if I recall, she only had an x-ray and the bullaes did not show on x-ray. She did have a few though.
          So they opened her chest and cut them out.

Not saying that this is what you should do. My girl was six at the time and I was against putting her through the surgery. I was going to put her down but the hospital sad it was in the best interest of the dog to cut them out. (another story)
          But they did save her.

As for the cancer, she would bleed out at times an I would put epinephrine up her nose. Thanks
          "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Interesting post, sounds like you've been through a lot! Working in peds surgery for recurrent blebs usually the pleurodesis works. We use talc mostly. There is a small one-way valve called a heimlich valve that could connect to the end of a chest tube. its what I used when I was a flight nurse in flight when I didn't have access to the whole suction/water seal/ pleurevac. But I've never heard of leaving in a chest tube permanently--you're still just treating the symptom. It's a mystery why she has the blebs and keeps getting the air leaks in the first place. Is it always on the same side? Does she get very symptomatic with the pneumo and the blebs? I suspect that the air tracking under the skin was still a leak from the chest, just all the skin from a dane acted as sort of a one-way valve.
            sigpicSharon, wife, mom to two humans, one Boston terrier in training for therapy work, and Max, rescue Dane working through his own issues but definitely worked his way into my heart!

Comment

Originally posted by SharonAPRN View Post
              Interesting post, sounds like you've been through a lot! Working in peds surgery for recurrent blebs usually the pleurodesis works. We use talc mostly. There is a small one-way valve called a heimlich valve that could connect to the end of a chest tube. its what I used when I was a flight nurse in flight when I didn't have access to the whole suction/water seal/ pleurevac. But I've never heard of leaving in a chest tube permanently--you're still just treating the symptom. It's a mystery why she has the blebs and keeps getting the air leaks in the first place. Is it always on the same side? Does she get very symptomatic with the pneumo and the blebs? I suspect that the air tracking under the skin was still a leak from the chest, just all the skin from a dane acted as sort of a one-way valve.
              Yeah, it's been quite a journey. I'll have to ask about the talc and see what the vet says. I'm not against trying another procedure.... maybe with more research. He could only find one person that did it and the result was positive, although they think the leak was only coming from one place and would possibly have healed on its own (with suction).

I did find the heimlich/flutter valve in my research. I was hoping to find something more internal, though. The vet did tell me about a procedure involving kidneys and bladders, I think, in cats, where they would insert a tube and leave it. That's kind of what I was going for with a tube under the skin.

I agree with the air under the skin coming from a leak. It seemed to work its way out through the chest tube opening once the tube was removed. I guess the pressure from the air kept that open and the outer skin trapped it. It would be great if we could somehow emulate that but it seems unlikely.

I also agree that leaving the tube in is treating the symptom. My hope is that by treating the symptom, the lungs will have a chance to stay expanded for longer periods of time and will eventually heal, or at least the openings will get small enough to slow the air to a trickle.

I'm not sure which side it's leaking from. Sometimes they'll say the lung sounds are decreased on the right, other times it's the left. They usually lay her on one side to let the air rise to the other and remove it that way.

I can tell when it's time to take her back from another chest tap. She gets really uncomfortable on her side and starts to groan. She's usually better on her stomach, but when when her respiratory rates gets up to about 30 per minute, it's time to take her in. I took her in today and they removed 4.2 liters. They had removed 3.75 liters on friday which was 3 days after the pleurodesi. So, it's definitely still there. Right now a semi-permanent to permanent chest tube seems to be the best of the bad options, so to speak.

Comment

Well, we went ahead with a chest tube. Due to fear of infection, they didn't run it under her skin like I had inquired about (I guess it has been researched and the risk of infection, or lack thereof, isn't any better). They just tried to put it in a position to limit the discomfort as much as possible. They removed so much air after placing the tube that they lost count. It was probably about 6 liters total.

The good news is, about 29-33 hours later, she has no air to remove. They tried at the vet before I left and I tried again a few minutes ago and we got negative pressure. I don't want to get my hopes up since she had a chest tube before that didn't fix the problem, but these are definitely good results.

I am a little thrown since her breathing isn't down to the 12-16 breathes per minute when she's completely relaxed, it's actually up a little, but for now I'm attributing that to soreness and the rough couple of days she's had at the vet.

Anyway, I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has them. Especially for low profile tubes if there is such a thing.

Comment

Another recap and update on Ashley. I might ramble a little but stick with me.

Ashley had tubes placed in both sides at one point. The left side never produced air after I got her home but she was still having breathing issues so they placed one in her right side. I could pull air out of that and did so on a daily basis to give her lungs the best chance to fully expand.

She was also on doxycycline on the off chance it would help. She went through 2 rounds of that about a month apart. She was also on something else because there was some fluid coming out of the tube but I can't recall what that is at the moment.

The left tube was removed because it wasn't providing any benefit. She didn't even really notice a tube was in her side so she slept comfortably every night. That made me feel better about going that route.

One day I noticed that air appeared to be leaking rather quickly. I could remove a syringe full, get negative pressure, wait 30 seconds and get another syringe off. Against my better judgement, I left her alone for work that day.

I ended up having to rush home later on because I was watching her on my camera and noticed she seemed distressed. I could tell she wasn't breathing well at all and tried to remove the air but kept getting 60ml syringe after 60ml syringe (200 syringes in total which is an insane amount of air and really not possible). I rushed her to the vet thinking something had ruptured in her lung. But it turns out her valve was leaking. They replaced it and were able to get negative pressure (after about 5 litres of air).

A little later, they removed 400ml of air. The next day, I removed 30ml of air. So far so good. But a couple days later, while we had our head turned, she decided to pull her tube out. I guess she didn't think she needed it any more because that 30ml was the last I removed and that was 9 weeks ago.

We took Ashley in yesterday for a followup xray. The vet said that was the best her xrays have looked since we brought her in for the pneumothorax. He admitted he didn't think he'd see the day she looked so well, especially with her rhinitis as well (which he was also pleasantly surprised with her current condition).

I don't want to say she's completely healed (I'm too paranoid I'll jinx it). So, for now, we're taking it day by day, knocking on wood, hoping this holds. I'd like to think the lesson here is miracles do happen, but they need time to develop. So if anyone else encounters this, don't give up and don't be afraid to press your vet for more options. It has worked out well for us so far.

Comment

WOW! How wonderful!

I remember reading this thread back in May, and I've kept you guys in my thoughts ever since.

It's so nice to see these kinds of posts. Granted, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm so, so happy to hear things are looking up for you and especially Ashley.

Don't forget to keep us posted! I'm overjoyed
                    -- Katelyn

sigpic
                    Apollo

Comment

It is so nice to hear your update - glad things are improving! I remember this thread as well - it really stood out to me as I am a Respiratory Therapist, so collapsed lungs and chest tubes are of particular interest. I am amazed you managed to handle everything so well on your own! Sending good thoughts your way!
                      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by KatieRae View Post
                        WOW! How wonderful!

I remember reading this thread back in May, and I've kept you guys in my thoughts ever since.

It's so nice to see these kinds of posts. Granted, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm so, so happy to hear things are looking up for you and especially Ashley.

Don't forget to keep us posted! I'm overjoyed
                        Thank you very much. We're remaining cautiously optimistic. I still watch her like a hawk in a daily basis though.

Comment

So glad to hear she is improving.

Keeping you in our thoughts.
                          Donna
                          Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
                          Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
                          Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                            It is so nice to hear your update - glad things are improving! I remember this thread as well - it really stood out to me as I am a Respiratory Therapist, so collapsed lungs and chest tubes are of particular interest. I am amazed you managed to handle everything so well on your own! Sending good thoughts your way!

Thanks. It took some convincing but I finally got the vet on the same page. I feel like if it happens again, I know the process I want to take. Even with the air leaking she was her normal self once it was extracted. I just hope we never have to worry about it again.

Comment

Wow, 2014. I wanted to post a couple of quick updates. Ashley went through another bout with a spontaneous pneumothorax back in June. This one was a little rough. She ended up having to stay at the vet for almost 2 weeks. It was touch and go for awhile, but I finally decided to take her home to remove the air myself as before and let whatever happens, happen. I could still see Ashley was Ashley, even at nearly 12 years old and faulty lungs. Fortunately, everything worked out and she was back to her normal self, albeit it a little worse for the wear in the hind end from being immobile so long (she also bloated a year or so prior and being on her back for the surgery took a toll on her already weakening hips).

That brings me to today. We took her in AGAIN due to some of the same symptoms and it appears her pneumothorax is back, although they are not able to pull any air at the moment. She's not quite in dire straits right now, which is good. And the vet is OK with sending her home tonight. So for now she's still Ashley. She did take a rough fall a couple days ago going down 3 steps so I'm hoping maybe that's the cause of it and it will heal soon.

Either way, she's a fighter and I don't think it's her time yet (I keep telling the vet she and Blue (her adopted brother) are going to make it to at LEAST 15... Blue's 13 now and a story on his own). I actually went so far as to buy my own pump the last time just in case this happened again. And since I have the next 2 weeks off, if we have the go the tube route again, I'm ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X