Benadryl Dosage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benadryl Dosage

I tried to find it in the archives...I think I saw that you can give 1mg per pound per dosage? Is that right? Jax is about 100 pounds, but I'm not going to start with that much. I was thinking 50mg?

Thank you for confirming!

Carynn
    Carynn & Jax
    sigpic
    RIP Diesel ~ April 2000 (about) - Sept 19, 2011
    Rescued from a life of abuse & starvation at 3, lost to cancer at 11 1/2
    Love you always.

Yes, 1mg/lb
    Each tablet tends to be 25mg so you would need 4.

I think a half dose won't even touch a 100lb dog... if anything go with 3 and you can always go up to the full 4.
    It makes Nitro a little sleepy and does absolutely nothing to Moose. Worst case if you give a full dose you should get the anti-allergy benefits you're looking for... and have a slightly sleepy dog. I'd go that route if it's a serious allergy you're dealing with (ie. hives/very itchy).
    sigpic
    Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
    Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
    Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

Thank you...with all his food issues, I also notice also that he licks his legs and scratches his ears a lot and has gotten a couple of ear infections. I'm using the benadryl to see if he might have allergies. I'm thinking if the itching slows / stops, we're probably dealing with some kind of allergy.
      Carynn & Jax
      sigpic
      Love you always.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveMyJax View Post
        Thank you...with all his food issues, I also notice also that he licks his legs and scratches his ears a lot and has gotten a couple of ear infections. I'm using the benadryl to see if he might have allergies. I'm thinking if the itching slows / stops, we're probably dealing with some kind of allergy.
        It very well could be.... also keep an eye on seasonal changes. Nitro had food allergies and benadryl helped a bit but she was constantly itching because of the constant influx of food into her.

She gets some seasonal allergies as well: Typically beginning of the year with the snow mold and when things start to bloom.... and she is just finishing up a mild bout since it is harvest time and there is a lot of dust and particulate matter in the air. You may notice a trend with Jax as well.

What food are you feeding? I swapped Nitro to grain free away from grain inclusive and her food allergies cleared right up (she used to have attrocious ears and would spend all day itching).

I would also suggest cutting all treats out (so that you're limiting possible causes) and wash all bedding in hot water with a color safe bleach or a detergent with zero scent... and do not use fabric softener. It just helps narrow things down that could be bothering Jax
        sigpic
        Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
        Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

There is a dose range - 2-4mg/kg is the range itself, so your dog could get up to 180mg if needed, but always start small.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveMyJax View Post
            I tried to find it in the archives...I think I saw that you can give 1mg per pound per dosage? Is that right? Jax is about 100 pounds, but I'm not going to start with that much. I was thinking 50mg?

Thank you for confirming!

Carynn
            You're right - 1mg/lb, up to every 8 hours. I would try 100mg every 8 hours for a day or two to see if it makes any difference. The worst that happens is that he will be sleepy/groggy and still itchy.

The next time you're in at the vet, you can let him/her know how the Benadryl worked. If it didn't work well, there are other antihistamines that the vet can suggest. Sometimes you just have to try several different ones before you find the one that works best on your dog.

Of course, as others have posted, it's best to try to find the underlying cause of the itchiness and deal with it at that level. But antihistamines can help give relief while you're trying to figure that out.

You were smart to confirm the dose - it's so different than a human dose!
            sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
              and wash all bedding in hot water with a color safe bleach or a detergent with zero scent...
              If you don't know where to find this, most baby laundry detergents are unscented or come in unscented varieties. You can also make your own detergent very easily. (I'm allergic to most fragrance oils so I can't use most commercial laundry detergents)

to make your own powdered detergent:

2 cups borax
              2 cups washing soda (this is NOT the same as baking soda, but it is made by arm and hammer)
              1 bar of soap, grated. (Ivory works well, but any lightly scented or unscented bar soap will work)
              Mix these three ingredients together and use about 2 tbsp per load. If you use a front-loader washing machine, dissolve the powder in about a cup of water and pour it directly in the washing machine before you close the door.
              1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post

What food are you feeding? I swapped Nitro to grain free away from grain inclusive and her food allergies cleared right up (she used to have attrocious ears and would spend all day itching).

I would also suggest cutting all treats out (so that you're limiting possible causes) and wash all bedding in hot water with a color safe bleach or a detergent with zero scent... and do not use fabric softener. It just helps narrow things down that could be bothering Jax
                I've had Jax on grain free for a while. Nature's Domain Salmon now. So I'm not really sure these possible allergies could be the food. I am getting prepared to switch to raw though and plan to see if that helps.

I never thought about the bedding. I will definitely go scent free.
                Carynn & Jax
                sigpic
                Love you always.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoenix View Post
                  If you don't know where to find this, most baby laundry detergents are unscented or come in unscented varieties. You can also make your own detergent very easily. (I'm allergic to most fragrance oils so I can't use most commercial laundry detergents)

2 cups borax
                  2 cups washing soda (this is NOT the same as baking soda, but it is made by arm and hammer)
                  1 bar of soap, grated. (Ivory works well, but any lightly scented or unscented bar soap will work)
                  Mix these three ingredients together and use about 2 tbsp per load. If you use a front-loader washing machine, dissolve the powder in about a cup of water and pour it directly in the washing machine before you close the door.
                  Thank you for this! i love homemade things
                  Carynn & Jax
                  sigpic
                  Love you always.

Comment

2 cups borax
                    I haven't tried making my own laundry detergent (I use Seventh Generation), but I have a book that has some awesome homemade recipes for cleaning supplies (many of them completely edible!). It's called "Clean House, Clean Planet" by Karen Logan. The staples for her recipes are baking soda, vinegar, and essential oils.

I think my favorite one is using Club Soda instead of Windex - I've never had my windows sparklier.

I really like not having so many toxic chemicals around for puppies and kids to get into, not to mention that these recipes are cheaper and better for the environment (and safer for me, the one who cleans with them!).
                    sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

If you don't know where to find this, most baby laundry detergents are unscented or come in unscented varieties. You can also make your own detergent very easily. (I'm allergic to most fragrance oils so I can't use most commercial laundry detergents).
                      I'm really happy that many of the other brands are finally making fragrance free detergent. It was a little weird washing all my linens in Dreft when I don't have a skin baby. Plus, Dreft is pricey.

Oh yeah, and if you use Febreze.... chuck it.
                      sigpic
                      <, and Stef
                      <'
                      What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

my hubby is highly allergic... we use unscented ALL.. and no fabric softener...
                        Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

2 cups borax
                          I switched from Tide to Charlie's Soap Powder, I get it off amazon (32 pound bucket for 108$) takes one scoop for regular loads 2 for dirty I've had the same bucket for almost a year and used probably close to half.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Charlies-Soap-Powder-Bucket-Pounds/dp/B0044EV0SE/"]Amazon.com: Charlie&#39;s Soap Powder Bucket, 1000 Loads, 32 Pounds: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Elliotks View Post
                            I switched from Tide to Charlie's Soap Powder, I get it off amazon (32 pound bucket for 108$) takes one scoop for regular loads 2 for dirty I've had the same bucket for almost a year and used probably close to half.

Amazon.com: Charlie's Soap Powder Bucket, 1000 Loads, 32 Pounds: Health & Personal Care
                            Hmmm and that's safe for HE machines? I hate how most are front loading. Socks and underwear get caught in that lip.

I'd be afraid to make my own with the HE machines. I can just picture the mess!

Originally posted by Odin's Mom View Post
                            my hubby is highly allergic... we use unscented ALL.. and no fabric softener...
                            Unscented ALL is what I've been using. It's cheap too! I definitely don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets.... mainly because I'd rather spend my money on other things, like dog toys.
                            sigpic
                            <, and Stef
                            <'
                            What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Originally posted by fets View Post

Unscented ALL is what I've been using. It's cheap too! I definitely don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets.... mainly because I'd rather spend my money on other things, like dog toys.
                              Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X