No announcement yet.

Ivermectin causes increased aggression?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivermectin causes increased aggression?

Had a trainer tell me this the other day & recommend we use trifexis or sentinel instead. Google reveals "sudden aggression" as a possible side effect. Thoughts? Experiences?
    "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
    sigpic
    Rocky & Emma
    Follow our adventures at
    www.instagram.com/spottedangels

I give ivermectin for heart worm prevention and have never had aggression issues.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

I found this interesting so I too googled it, here is what I found.

Heartworm preventative has as one of its side effects, aggression. The potential side effects of Ivermectin (the active ingredient in Heartgard) include liver problems, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, lethargy, skin eruptions, seizures, tremors, paralysis, autoimmune disorders, thyroid problems, fever, weakness, dizziness, coughing, nose bleeds, difficulty breathing, pneumonia, irritability, sudden aggressive behavior, nerve damage, fertility problems, and sudden death. Other chemical heartworm preventatives have many of the same side effects.

Dr. Jean Dodds recommends the monthly PLAIN heartworm medicine given every 45 days. Basically the medications that just contain Ivermectin (although note that Ivermectin can be a problem for Border Collies and related breeds, so ask your vet for an alternative). Do not use the 6-month shots, use the monthly preventative so you have control in the event your animal experiences a reaction to the medication. It is an accepted practice among dog owners who practice holistic care that Interceptor and Heartgard are given every six weeks instead of every four because they are effective for that long.

If you live in a state that does not have mosquitoes year round, it is also important to take your dog off the pills for a few months. In order for microfilariae to develop into the infective stage, it needs to be sufficiently warm (above 57 degrees) for a period of time. It takes approximately 6 months for the microfilariae to mature into adult heartworms, so stopping the drug for a few months will still allow for kill of the various stages when started up again. In fact, ask your vet -- if the adult heartworm load is not too heavy, it is possible to treat the dog using the heartworm preventative rather than putting them through the toxic treatment of arsenic to kill the worms.

It is a good idea to give Milk Thistle or an herbal liver detox formula following a dose of the heartworm drug.
      So, evidently it is a side effect, but like any other drug out there .. it comes with a myriad of side effects .. so, basically it's a crap shoot if you get no side effects, one side effect, or all side effects from taking the drug.

I have to wonder what is in the other drugs that kills heartworms that isn't ivomec.

So I then googled Trifexis and found this information

TRIFEXIS™
      (spinosad + milbemycin oxime)
      Chewable Tablets

Prior to administration of TRIFEXIS, dogs should be tested for existing heartworm infection. At the discretion of the veterinarian, infected dogs should be treated with an adulticide to remove adult heartworms. TRIFEXIS is not effective against adult D. immitis. While the number of circulating microfilariae may decrease following treatment, TRIFEXIS is not indicated for microfilariae clearance (see ANIMAL SAFETY).

Mild, transient hypersensitivity reactions manifested as labored respiration, vomiting, salivation and lethargy, have been noted in some dogs treated with milbemycin oxime carrying a high number of circulating microfilariae. These reactions are presumably caused by release of protein from dead or dying microfilariae.

Use with caution in breeding females (see ANIMAL SAFETY). The safe use of TRIFEXIS in breeding males has not been evaluated.
      Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy (see ADVERSE REACTIONS).

In the US field study, one dog administered TRIFEXIS experienced a single mild seizure 2 ½ hours after receiving the second monthly dose. The dog remained enrolled and received four additional monthly doses after the event and completed the study without further incident.

Following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with spinosad alone, a component of TRIFEXIS, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation/drooling, seizures, ataxia, mydriasis, blindness and disorientation. Spinosad alone has been shown to be safe when administered concurrently with heartworm preventatives at label directions.

In US and European field studies, no dogs experienced seizures when dosed with spinosad alone at the therapeutic dose range of 13.5-27.3 mg/lb (30-60 mg/kg), including 4 dogs with pre-existing epilepsy. Four epileptic dogs that received higher than the maximum recommended dose of 27.3 mg/lb (60 mg/kg) experienced at least one seizure within the week following the second dose of spinosad, but no seizures following the first and third doses. The cause of the seizures observed in the field studies could not be determined.

http://nccs-dailymed-1.nlm.nih.gov/d...rchiveid=50896
      So while aggression is not listed (although it does not show to have been tested for either) .. there are many other problems related with its usage.

So, basically .. it sounds like this trainer may just trying to push a new product IMO.
      sigpic
      A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

I use trifexis on Bella and our Chi, Molly. This is the first year/season I have used this product. No ill effects to this point.
        Jacki___________________
        Molly: 4.5 yr old Chihuahua/Dachshund - Fawn
        Bella: 2.5 yr Dane - Black. Harley: 3 yr Dane - Merle. Oliver: 5 yr old Feline Furball - Grey/White
        sigpic

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." — Martin Buber

Comment

I'm told that Sentinal is backordered across the country and will most likely not be available until sometime in November.

I'm using ivermectin but I'm having trouble controlling fleas since we are surrounded by irresponsible dog owners who don't treat and also feerrel cats.

Any flea prevention suggestions? It would be a shame for her to get tapeworms, which would lead to yet another very costly medicine her body would have to endure.

Comment

The Trifexis is a combo treatment that kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections
            Jacki___________________
            Molly: 4.5 yr old Chihuahua/Dachshund - Fawn
            Bella: 2.5 yr Dane - Black. Harley: 3 yr Dane - Merle. Oliver: 5 yr old Feline Furball - Grey/White
            sigpic

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." — Martin Buber

Comment

Frontline for fleas. Have always used in on our dogs, we live in a forested area, and have never had fleas. It also repels ticks.
              sigpic
              Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Thanks for the detailed replies. It is as I thought. There were a few other things the trainer suggested that arent sitting right with me either and I have since confirmed with people I trust that my gut feeling is right. So we wont be using this trainer.
                We have used Ivermectin for about 8 years now with no ill effects. I use frontline plus for fleas only as needed. I read that trifexis is really hard on stomachs with the most common side effect being vomiting -- my pups already have sensitive stomachs. I believe we'll stick with our current regimen.
                "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                sigpic
                Rocky & Emma
                Follow our adventures at

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                  I give ivermectin for heart worm prevention and have never had aggression issues.
                  Me, too! I have been using it for years. Many of the larger kennels I know, also use it.
                  sigpic
                  Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                  Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I don't know what site BigLittleSmall's quote about ivermectin came from, but it has quite a bit of misleading information in it. I've used Heartgard Plus on many dogs for almost two decades and never had a side effect from it.

I'm not sure why they would say to use the ivermectin only formula (without the pyrantel), since pyrantel is just your basic wormer you can buy pretty much anywhere, and treats roundworms and hookworms. Seems a good thing to do monthly if your dog ever goes out of your yard (or stray cats or other animals ever come in your yard). So if it's already in the heartworm medication, all the better.

Also, heartworms don't care what the outside temperature is. Inside a dog, it's always nice and toasty, so the worms will live in there just fine even in winter. Part of their life, heartworm larvae spend maturing in a mosquito, so if it's too cold to have mosquitoes around, your dog won't be infected by new heartworms during that time. But I live in IL and have seen mosquitoes sometimes in January or February during a warmish spell. You never can tell.

It takes six months after being bitten by a heartworm-containing mosquito before the larvae are mature enough to be seen on a heartworm test, but that doesn't mean you should wait that long to start Heartgard. Heartgard is only effective at killing semi-mature heartworms if you give it monthly for several years, and the sooner you start, the better. So stopping for six months in the winter and expecting Heartgard to clear any infection in the next six months before you stop giving it again is unreasonable. There's no health reason for the dog to "give it a rest" from taking heartworm medication for part of the year, and the damage to a dog's heart from heatworms is not pretty (and also not reversible, even when the worms are dead and gone).

It is true that ivermectin can be given every 45 days and still be effective against heartworms, but longer than that and it's not as effective. It's much easier to remember once a month than once every 6 weeks (just do it the first of every month), and it gives you a little leeway, too. If you're a couple of days or even a week late before you remember to give the pill, it's still OK. But if you were aiming for every 6 weeks and you're late, it's not as forgiving.

It is also true that there are some breeds (mostly collies and some other herding breeds) that are super sensitive to ivermectin, and can die from the dose used to treat mites. But the dose of ivermectin used to treat mange mites is up to 100 times the dose in heartworm preventative, and is given daily instead of once a month. Most dogs do OK even on that dose of ivermectin. With that perspective, it's a little less worrisome to be giving your dog a heartworm-killing dose once a month.

I'm in the middle of treating my puppy for demodex mites right now, and no side effects so far!
                    sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

Oh, also, arsenic isn't used to treat heartworm infection any more, so it sounds like maybe the quote about ivermectin is dated.

And I've never heard of giving Milk Thistle or an herbal liver detox formula following a dose of heartworm preventative. I wonder how it interacts with the drug? I'd worry that it might decrease the effectiveness of the ivermectin. Not something I'd do without knowing more about it.
                      sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

Originally posted by ChaoticLiving View Post
                        I don't know what site BigLittleSmall's quote about ivermectin came from, but it has quite a bit of misleading information in it. I've used Heartgard Plus on many dogs for almost two decades and never had a side effect from it.
                        First, just because you haven't seen a side effect doesn't mean they don't exist. That is a very one - sided view. If there weren't side effects they wouldn't list them on the drug's website, nor would people come on forums and post horro stories about what has happened to their dogs from taking them (Google it and see how many hits you get about dogs having side effects from heartworm medications)

Second, I use Ivomec, so I wasn't trying to dis on it .. if you thought that just wanted to clear that up.

Third, I was agreeing (by my poosting and findings) that the statements that Ivomec caused aggression was bunk.

Here are my sources
                        http://www.katberard.com/hea_parasites.htm

http://nccs-dailymed-1.nlm.nih.gov/d...rchiveid=50896

P.S. I think you are also a little mis-informed that arsnic is no longer used at all to treat heartworms. Some of the products used to kill them are still arsnic-based.
                        Q: Once my dog has heartworms, what’s the treatment? How much will it cost?

A: The drug that you treat with is called Immiticide. It’s an injectable, arsenic-based product. The dog is given two or three injections that will kill the adult heartworms in the blood vessels of the heart.

Q: I’ve heard the treatment for heartworms can be dangerous. Are there any newer, safer alternatives?
                        A: We used to use plain arsenic to treat it, which had many side effects. What we use now is a safer product with fewer side effects. It’s a safe product if used correctly.

Q: Once my dog has heartworms, what’s the treatment? How much will it cost?
                        A: The drug that you treat with is called Immiticide. It’s an injectable, arsenic-based product. The dog is given two or three injections that will kill the adult heartworms in the blood vessels of the heart.

Q: If my dog is diagnosed with heartworms, can I just give him his monthly preventative instead of having him go through treatment? Won’t that kill his heartworms?

A: Studies have shown that if you use ivermectin, the common preventative, on a monthly basis in a dog with heartworm disease, after about two years you’ll kill off most of the dog’s young heartworms. The problem is, in the meantime, all of those heartworms are doing permanent damage to the heart and blood vessels

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/hea...d-myths?page=2
                        To be quite honest, most states don't get cold enough to go without treatment .. especially here in the south .. but that wasn't really what we were talking about though, it just happened to be in the article I read/clipped a portion of.
                        sigpic
                        A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

All drugs have some sort of potential side effects to them, they probably won't happen to you but it's a good idea to read up on the side effects that can happen, just in case they do.
                          sigpic

Comment

Also, heartworms don't care what the outside temperature is. Inside a dog, it's always nice and toasty, so the worms will live in there just fine even in winter. Part of their life, heartworm larvae spend maturing in a mosquito, so if it's too cold to have mosquitoes around, your dog won't be infected by new heartworms during that time. But I live in IL and have seen mosquitoes sometimes in January or February during a warmish spell. You never can tell.
                            My mother raised Danes in North Idaho for 20+ years and never gave heartworm prevention (or flea for that matter). We did get mosquitos in the summer months. Never once had a heartworm positive dog...
                            *Jennifer*
                            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure why they would say to use the ivermectin only formula (without the pyrantel), since pyrantel is just your basic wormer you can buy pretty much anywhere, and treats roundworms and hookworms. Seems a good thing to do monthly if your dog ever goes out of your yard (or stray cats or other animals ever come in your yard). So if it's already in the heartworm medication, all the better.

It is true that ivermectin can be given every 45 days and still be effective against heartworms, but longer than that and it's not as effective. It's much easier to remember once a month than once every 6 weeks (just do it the first of every month), and it gives you a little leeway, too. If you're a couple of days or even a week late before you remember to give the pill, it's still OK. But if you were aiming for every 6 weeks and you're late, it's not as forgiving.
                              I use ivermectin (ivomec) only because:
                              1. I dont give drugs my dogs dont need - they dont have worms (at this time) so there is no reason to give pyrantel or anything else if they dont currently need it.
                              2. Ivomec is about $50 for 5 years of treatment for multiple Great Danes.
                              3. I can dose more precisely based on each dogs current actual weight - not a range like Heartgaurd pill.

And I dose every 45 days not monthly because:
                              1. See #1 above. That includes overdosing with medications or vaccines.
                              2. I know how to set a calendar reminder that tells me exactly when the next dose is due.
                              3. It's a more precise dose.
                              4. It is not a preventative - so being a few days late or taking 2-3 months off in winter? No big deal.

We have been using ivermectin this way for well over 10 years and have never had a dog test positive. In regards to the original topic - we've never had increased aggression due to its use - that's why I posted the question to others when the trainer made the recommendation to switch products.
                              Last edited by thisiscyndi; 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Rocky & Emma
                              Follow our adventures at

Comment

Working...
                              X