Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cow hocks vs. full-on hip dysplasia

Hi guys,

Just a general question... How do you tell the difference between a dog merely having cow hocks vs. developing full-on hip dysplasia?

My 14month old Buckley has always been easty-westy, and has always had a weird sort of walk because of this. However, i'd like to know what are the chances of his having hip-dysplasia? Or how many people have easty-westy danes that have a funny walk but don't have hip dysplasia? He has never shown any discomfort (getting up from the floor, running around), and in fact, stands on his hind legs often and jumps around when he gets excited..

thanks!!

<<How do you tell the difference between a dog merely having cow hocks vs. developing full-on hip dysplasia?>>

Make an appt with a vet that knows how to do rads for OFA, have them done and then send them into OFA for evaluation.
    Nobody.........and I mean nobody.........can visually see HD. Sometimes what looks to be HD can be a very bad/steep croup, weak rear, over angulated stifles, etc, etc......or it can be severe hip dysplasia.
    Even if you posted a pic, your only true evaluation should come from OFA.

Cowhocked is a conformation fault. Sometimes you will see a pup that is over angulated in the rear be cowhocked, but can out grow it as they grow into their angles..........others stay cowhocked forever.

Did you see the parents? I have seen quite a few Euro Danes with this problem.
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Carolyn! I was going to have him x-rayed to check for HD, but my vet suggested waiting until he is at least 2 years old and fully developed.. Until then, the results can be quite inconclusive..

For now, i like to believe he's perfectly OK. from what i've read about dogs with HD, it seems quite painful and uncomfortable, and my Buckley definitely does not show any signs of discomfort at all.. I just hope it's not developing slowly and i dread the day i ever see him struggling to stand up.. but for now, he's as bouncy and energetic as usual..

I saw his parents and neither of them are cow-hocked at all.. funny how he turned up this way- i think it also has a litte to do with the fact that we have hardwood floors at home.. I'm not planning on showing him anyways, just hope its not HD..

Comment

weird vet to say that, if a dog has HD enough for it to effect the way the dog walks it would show up, there are dogs with grade 4 HD at 6 months, the only time HD should be hard to read on an x-ray is when a dog is a low grade. I'd x-ray now just to make sure he isn't just hiding disconfort at 14 months it should show up if you notice he has a weird walk.

Comment

Working...
        X