CCL / ACL Brace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCL / ACL Brace

Just wondering if anyone here has used a brace to assist in recovering from a torn CCL (Cranial Cruciate Ligament). Our Octavia had been slightly favoring her left leg and after X-rays our vet has advised TPLO surgery. Which we were told was are only choice. I came home and started researching and found CCL/ACL custom braces that can be fabricated for your dog. We reached out and discussed this with Dane and Mastiff breeders that have gone a non-surgical route but none had used a brace. The results are 50/50. Hoping those who have used a brace maybe gained better results. It’s not that we can’t do the surgery, we just want to explore all options so we can make the most informative decision. Plus with losing our first Dane to a surgery, we try to steer clear if possible. We have ordered a brace and have begun the process of getting it made. If anyone has used a brace successfully or not, we would love to hear your advise.

I had a 75lb Pit Bull tear his cruciate and we went with 6 months of restricted activity and he recovered well. I have a 45 lb pit mix that is at the 3 month post mark of her torn cruciate, also with restricted activity and is doing ok. I never opted for the brace because I was able to contain my dogs and make sure they didn't do anything ridiculous. SOrry, I don't have advice on that! This was the website that I got all my ccl injury questions answered. I don't know why I trusted it so thoroughly, the person who wrote it didn't have a vet degree or anything (Probably because I am so skeptical of so many things), but I found the info helpful. They do talk about braces on there... http://tiggerpoz.com/index.html
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
    X