Puppy Food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy Food

When I got my puppy, Marley, 11 weeks old today, the breeder said to take her off of puppy food when she was 12 weeks old and put her on adult food because of the amount of protein and calcium in the food. My Vet today told me that is not true and I needed to keep her on puppy food till she was at least a year old. The breeder has been doing this for six years and I tend to believe her over my vet of 30 years. Could someone please give me some advice on what to do? I sure don't want to do something that will harm her when she is older. Thank you.

The breeder is partly right as is the vet...Protein is NOT an issue .. that has been proven incorrect with many valid studies. You do need to be very careful of calcium and also phosphorous...These levels are very important in growing puppies.. Calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0 however lower on both is better and safer. calcium at 1.2 phosphorous at .08 is better ..Also you need to be careful not to over feed. A good quality puppy food with the proper calcium/phosphorous levels is best.. many adult foods including ones that use to be safe aren't any longer.... they are too high in both calcium/phosphorous. You need to make sure you are feeding a good quality food with a named meat/meat meal source as at least the first 2-4 ingredients..no corn, wheat, soy, fragmented plant ingredients, glutens, animal digest, unnamed meat sources. There needs to be a named fat source no closer then 4th on the ingredient list.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks for the response. There is a lot more to dog food than just dog food, I find it all a little confusing but I'm learning. Would you know of a brand of dog food that contains 1.2 calcium and .08 phosphorous. Right now she is one Diamond Naturals, large breed for puppy.

Comment

There are several foods out there that work.... the cal/phos levels may not be exactly 1.2/.08 but are close.. however you should become a label reader since formulas change often...if cal/phos is not listed on a bag then contact the company.. most will tell you right away.. Fromm, Chicken Soup, Victor , Canidae among others are all good foods to check into...some of the formulas of FROMM, Canidae & Victor are in safe levels. Chicken Soup Large breed puppy is/was in safe levels...
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

The food you are feeding (Diamond large breed puppy) seems ok, you can find the info online most of the time. Found this on Chewy ( https://www.chewy.com/diamond-natura...puppy/dp/34914)
          CALCIUM 1.2% min
          PHOSPHORUS 1.0% min
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

The phosphorous is a bit high in relation to the calcium amount in this particular food.. The phosphorous should be closer to .08
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
            X