Reoccurring Skin Infection/Issues with Blue Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccurring Skin Infection/Issues with Blue Dane

For the last 9 months my 5 year old blue dane, Baron, has been experiencing reoccurring bacterial skin infections (dry scaly bumps, hot spots, etc.). He has been on 3 courses of antibiotics, 2 courses of steroids, switched to a low ingredient food to cross out any food allergies, and has had all blood work, thyroid tests, and multiple trips to the vet. All thyroid and blood work came back perfectly healthy and normal. Recently I have started bathing him with a medicated wash. Nothing is getting rid of the skin issues. The vet is at a loss for what is wrong and why these skin infections keep happening. He has plenty of water, high quality food, and gets a long walk every day. Has anyone experienced something similar? If so, what worked? How can I help my dog? Thank you!!

Have you contacted the breeder? Also make sure the food you are feeding is high in meats and low in plants. Be careful of laundry soaps, cleaners, etc as these can cause issues.. Grasses, weeds, flowers, pollens can also cause skin issues. Have you tried adding coconut oil to his food and rubbing it into his skin?
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you for your advice and feedback! I'm wondering if it's allergies to plants/grasses. We switched to a high protein food with low ingredients to rule out food allergies. He also gets an allergy pill everyday in his food. But doesn't seem to be helping with skin issues. All of our laundry soap is anti-allergy, no fragrance, sensitive skin, etc. Good thinking to contact the breeder. He does get oil in his food, but I have not tried rubbing coconut oil into his skin. Do you rub it on the bumps only? All over the whole coat? How often? Thanks so much!!

Comment

I would us it in the affected areas a couple of times a day...If that doesn't help try Apple Cider Vinegar... that often can be helpful... Skin issues are a common problem with Blues.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Do you mean to put the apple cider vinegar on the food or on the affected skin?

Comment

Working...
          X