A call to E-vet (I feel so stupid!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call to E-vet (I feel so stupid!)

OK, Nelson (15 weeks old) is the first male pup I have ever owned and it took me some time to get used to the 'extra parts' that came along with him. I have become used to his body now.

About 4 hours ago, I thought I had an emergency! I was scratching Nelsons belly and I saw this huge round lump that was inbetween his testicles and the end of his penis (right on the shaft of his penis, under the skin) it was bigger than the testicles! I have NEVER seen this before! It was quite large!

So, I called the Emergency Vet and told them about my discovery. I was VERY distressed! I thought something was VERY wrong! But when I went to look at the swollen mass again...it was gone!

The E-vet told me that this was totally normal and NOT an emergency. She gave me a technical name for it (that I do not remember) and I could tell she was trying not to crack-up! I took a few deep breaths and calmed down!

The Vet was great, and VERY funny AFTER she knew I had calmed down! She talked to me for a few minutes after the pressure was off and actually invited me to a charity-picnic with my dogs in August!

She told me that she remembered me from when my Chloe baby died (from HOD) a year ago,......But it could be because of my 'insane Mommy voice' that I exhibit when I am scared. I apparently spoke with this same woman when my Baby died ;8 and she recalled it.

I am sending a 'thank you card' tomorrow to this Vet who took the time today to comfort me (because Nelson was JUST FINE!)and then laughed with me about it and then had the heart to remember me in my darkest moment while Chloe was dying (well, already dead) a year ago! and then invite me to a picnic today...What a wonderful lady!

It is great how an amazing person will touch your heart when you least expect it!

Ami, Tuesday, Lily and Nelson

RE: A call to E-vet (I feel so stupid!)

I lit the candles for my lost babies tonight. I am happy that I was reminded about them today. I still miss them SOO much!

Comment

was the technical name for it an erection by any chance? :-) If not what on earth was it? I don't have male pets so am interested to know.

sorry I'm not trying to tease and totally understand, I had an 'emergency' when I had two pet rats when I was little, the pet shop had assured us we had two girls so we took one to the vet when she developed a nasty-looking huge pink lump at the base of her genitals which we took to be a tumour (rats are very prone to cancer), turned out 'she' was a 'he' :-)

Comment

"nasty-looking huge pink lump"

Rachel, I suppose this would be the "not so technical" terminology for an erection!?? :7 }> :-)

LOL!!!! Ami- that is funny! I have never owned a male dog before so I might've done the same thing

Comment

Dont worry Ami, if you havent had a male dog before ,it can look and feel abit strange, ;-)

But dont feel to bad, a few months ago, my husband Craig yelled out to me in distress ,that Jonah has this huge hard lump just by his penis,
          I knew straight away what he had got himself into a tizzy about,
          It took me a while to convince him that it was perfectly normal,

Men !!!

Susan and Jonah

Comment

Hahaha, I think we've experienced this, too. Upon closer inspection, the hard lump almost looked as if the penis curled up and fell down the shaft? Anyway, I freaked out, too! I'm glad Tuesday's parts turned out to be ok, and how nice was that e-vet? :-(

Comment

I'm getting a great laugh out of this! Samson is my first male dog in 13 years. It does take some getting used to again! :-)

Comment

I think what Ami saw was the bulbus glandis. It is what keeps the dogs "tied" during breeding.

When I first got Floyd we weren't quite used to his extra parts either. Rhu loves to have her tummy rubbed (as does Floyd) and it took some persuasion on my part before Dustin would rub Floyd's tummy too. He thought he was getting too close.
                Ah. MEN. So true

Laura, Rhu and Floyd
                Here are some pictures http://www.geocities.com/rhufloyd/justababy.html
                http://www.geocities.com/rhufloyd/morepics.html

Comment

Yes Laura,
                  That was what they called it. It was so wierd because it just disappeared! Well, now I know! :-)

Comment

nope Anne it's my (12 yr old) description of testicles!
                    Have to say in my defence that both my parents also thought it was a tumour.

Comment

OK, since this lovely topic came up, I have to ask...

How frequntly should my intact male dane have erections when doing nothing more than lying around relaxing? He is a little over a year old and seems to be 'aroused' an awful lot...it comletely grosses my 7 year old daughter out!

By the way, he will be neutered in a few weeks. I am assuming this will drastically reduce this. Am I correct?

Joe

www.picturetrail.com/papagoose

Comment

Joe, I'm so glad you asked this, erections are the main reason I didn't want a male dog, I used to know one (mixed-breed) and, well, yuck. My breeder said that they don't get them very often - but it grosses me out too.

:-) :-) :-)

I hope someone answers you as I'm interested to know too (Matt wants a boy one day).

Comment

I am also awaiting an answer! Nelson 'lets-it-all-hang-out' quite often! But he is just over 4months old. He will be spayed at 6 months along with a gastropexi.

I have learned not to mind it, (since I know it is just a puppy thing and all pups are exploring themselves and finding out what all those 'parts' actually do).

I just hope to hear that neutered dogs do not expose themselves as much!

My Tuesday, almost 10yrs old, has never shown his penis, except ONE TIME about 7yrs ago(in the car, while cleaning himself). He was neutered at 8 months by the previous owners, but had a retained testicle (he still has it). I have never seen it (his penis) since.

Best of luck!

LOOK at my babies!:
                          http://www.imagestation.com/members/ami222

Comment

Sorry Ami, ...but Jonah is desexed and still likes to show off his pinky,
                            It pops out often just to say hello, especially if he is really relaxed,

I am use to it, aswell as everyone else,

But then that is Jonah, other members with desexed Danes might not see it so often,

Our Boxer we use to have years ago was different again, never saw it,

So I suppose it just depends on the dog,

susan and Jonah

Comment

LOL, I have freaked out about this situation, too. I called Brett at work saying, "Wesker grew his balls back!!!!!"

And unfortunately, my neutered Wesker still gets arouse quite often. Yes, it grosses me out no matter what. Brett, being a manly man, will not pet Wesker when he is in his aroused state. Well said before... MEN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X