What percentage is my Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What percentage is my Dane

I have a 5 month old female dane. Her mother was full american and her father was american/european. What percentage does that make my dane?

This is just out of curiosity. I love my baby no matter what, just was interested to know.
    "Some dogs are just born GREAT!"

You have a 100% Great Dane. "Euro" is just a tagline used by backyard breeders to sell puppies. Reputable breeders, even those who use dogs imported form European countries in their breeding programs, don't refer to their puppies as "Euro". The breed standard is virtually the same in all countries. You really only calculate percentages when you have a hybrid animal like a Savannah cat (serval + domestic animal). For example, and F1 Savannah cat might be 50% serval and 50% domestic cat. Dogs, even different breeds, are all the same species. I'll paste below something about this from an earlier thread that I found helpful.

Credit to JP Yousha, shared with her permission.

This isn't about color per se, but posting to both GDCCI & GDRD as this seems to be a recent problem in the breed buyers (& new breeders) do need to be aware of (something educated breeders I know already understand). There are North American breeders using/importing European Danes & selling offspring off as a certain percentage "euro." This demonstrates a total lack of understanding of how genetics works. A dog isn't "75% euro" because 3 of its 4 grandparents were FCI registered. There are biological & mathematical models to prove this as certain (others who want to, please offer them!) but I've been trying to think of an explanation that isn't technical & satisfies common sense. So here are a couple of stabs at it, in the hopes this helps rid our breed of this fallacy. If you breed a poodle to a cocker, the resulting offspring do get roughly 50% "cocker genes" & "50% poodle" genes, in that each puppy gets 1/2 it's DNA from the father & 1/2 from the mother. But it's only in this F1=first generation hybrid this is true. If you breed the hybrid offspring, some will get mostly "poodle genes," others mostly "cocker genes," (& so look more like the original purebred parent ) while some resemble more the hybrid parents. Some will look poodle & have cocker health or temperament issues. And so on. Once you mixed two distinct populations, their offspring will not continue to look like (act like, etc) a certain "%" because a gene is inherited or its not, & 2 Danes with one American & one European parent can have offspring in a single litter inherit from 100% "euro" to 100% "american" genes. Think of two siblings that look nothing alike? Or "identical cousins"? This notion a pedigree being part FCI & part AKC (ConKC, CKC) having any genetic significance is a misnomer, & assumably got started as most anything mathematical has a "muscular" feel (sounds solid?) so is appealing. But not in looks or any other trait can puppies from such a mixed pedigree be said to guarantee phenotype in anyway. Breeding Central Europe "hyper type" to "whippety" American (pet bred) Danes might in the first generation create a dog somewhat in the middle as to type, even something more correct in type, but it's not going to continue to produce consistent type & it's arguably a "fault to fault breeding" anyway as neither parent in these situation meets the standard & one extreme is being used to correct another vs using correctly made dogs in the first place. Now I realize mostly these claims of "66% euro" are more sales tactics than sincere efforts at breeding a better dog, but there are buyers taken in by this & may well be new breeders who simply are confused.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Yup, you have a 100% great dane.

Phin's mom was a German import and his father was an American dane. His mother being from Europe only designates her birth place, not what KIND of dane she was. There is only one kind of great dane.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
        Yup, you have a 100% great dane.

Phin's mom was a German import and his father was an American dane. His mother being from Europe only designates her birth place, not what KIND of dane she was. There is only one kind of great dane.
        Angel is correct. We are originally from California but my husband and I now live in Germany with our Great Dane. They look exactly the same. Lol. I have a friend out here who does rescue (met her off of DOL lol) so I've met all her dogs and yep the same lol. There are a few that are more heavily lipped or extremely heavy but even she said its bad breeding and irresponsible owners. No such thing as a euro Dane lol.

One thing that's different they don't really call them Great Danes over here it's Deutsche Dogge, which really makes more sense since Danes are from Germany and they aren't Danish. One woman asked me why Americans make things more complicated 😂😂😂 I had no answer😂
        sigpic 6/20/14 Parros

Comment

My girls mom was imported from France and her dad was from the US.. she is 100% Great Dane
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
          X