getting another puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting another puppy

I am planning on getting another great dane puppy. I just want to find out is it true that the males try to dominate each other because my wife wants another male chewy is 15 months and I and wandering if that will be a problem. Chewy needs a play mate because neighbors don't want there dogs getting hurt he doesn't know strength. just wandering if a male will b ok

Is Chewy neutered? If so and if you plan on neutering the new boy before hormones kick in then you should be fine. Zephyr is two year old than Riddle but Riddle is intact, and all was well until Riddle passed 18 months. Then he didn't take being pushed around by Zephyr anymore and we had a few minor scuffles over food and toys. I have to keep a close eye on them during meal time and make sure that they don't bother each other when one has a chew or valuable toy, but there hasn't been any issues in months. Zephyr is 4 1/2 and Riddle is almost 2 1/2 and still intact.
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I think a lot of people have 2 males together. Like Kayla said, if Chewy is neutered and you have the other male neutered at the appropriate time, you shouldn't have much trouble. I'd rather have 2 males than 2 females! Just make sure that Chewy's training is really solid so that he can be a good role model for the new puppy and not teach it any bad habits. We're already planning on getting a second Dane, but will wait until our Finn is 1.5-2 years old and well trained.

ETA we will probably get a female for our second dog, just seems like the easiest combo.
      Last edited by oshagcj914; 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I had four neutered males at one time (large and giant breeds) and I never had a problem. Just recently I had three females and two males--all was fine. You have to be a very strong and consistent presence, though. A wimpy, pushover human and lax rules combined with competing dogs is a disaster waiting to happen.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

mnmouse you are so right on! Mister (4yrs old) and Guido (2yrs old), both neutered males are like brothers....play, tease, sometime skuffle. We are very consistent and very much the Leaders of the pack. Yes, the boys take turns being dominant, but truth be told, Guido seems to know Mister is #1 and is generally respectful of that. We much prefer the males - very velcro-like - the females are beautiful, but I have yet to meet one that wasn't a bit stand-offish....maybe they're just that way in Alaska?

Comment

My Echo was glued to me constantly. I was her sun and moon, her whole reason to exist--lol. So females can be very, very velcro, but seem to generally have a bit more self-respect when it comes to fawning.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

If it were me, I'd get a female. I agree with what others said and it would probably be fine - I have many friends with multiple males even intact in the same household and do fine, but I also have an intact Great Dane and neutered at 4 months old now 13 year old terrier that do not get along, we have to keep them separate. Once my Dane hit 8 months old my terrier decided he wasn't going to have anything to do with him and actually just went for the Dane, which is a stupid move considering his size vs the Dane, so now they are kept totally separate, which is fine we have the means to do so but obviously I'd prefer we didn't have to. It could work out fine or could not, depending on the dogs personalities. I just think female - male is a safer combo personally.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you for all your imput everybody I will get a male that will make my wife happy because she wanted a male . I will say this is my first Great dane and I love this breed.

Comment

Working...
                X