No announcement yet.

How smart to they get???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find my danes are very intellegent and will learn anything I take the time to teach them. The biggest differance that I see between them and my GSDs is that my Danes seem to lack complex problem solveing.

Example:
    Frost (GSD) at 4 months old - tried to slow down how fast he at his food. Filled his kong with kibble and placed it in the bowl so he would have to eat around it , then get it out to finish. Frost looked at it on day ONE and picked up the kong, droped it to the floor, Ate the kibble from the bowl, then emptied the Kong.

Anubis (Dane) at 2 1/2 years old - is still eating around the Kong and makes a big deal about trying to get the Kong out of the bowl...

Both Frost and Anubis are trained to the same level of obediance, it is just Anubis can't seem to figure out things on his own. Most likely a good thing so that he is not helping himself to the food in the top cabnits.
    sigpic
    "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
    ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
    Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Honestly, the dog's a genius. He gets free food, free toys, free walks, lots of love and play, and nothing is expected of him. I think that's as close to genius as you get, right there.
      In all seriousness, he is a smart dog. He knows his basic commands, and some more "advanced" commands, like leave it. He has figured out how to turn on the bathroom faucet with his nose for a drink of fresh, cold tap water right out of the faucet. He's leash trained, was housetrained inside of a week, and is just a smart cookie.
      sigpic
      Lucy, rescued 5/16/15
      Egon 1/7/07-3/22/14- loved and missed

Comment

Sometimes my husband & I think Cassie is too smart! We're always asking her "Where's your bone? Where's your ball?" - the other day I wanted to throw her ball for her. The very first thing out of my mouth was "Where's your you know what?" and she immediately brought me her ball. I was so shocked I nearly fell off my chair!

Comment

My Eva can easily open the door to come back inside, but now she turns around and closes it with her paw!

Comment

Storm... you asked how smart?

I'm not sure his elevator ever went to the top floor... I think it stopped, drooped, he got caught in a zoomie moment, then tried to get the elevator started again, only to get tired and found a bee, then there was the food check, and the counter... oh, back to the elevator?

Yeah, Storm is definitely on the low end of brains spectrum but the top shelf in heart and soul.

Comment

I'm always amazed how well quickly dogs figure out pointing...I know its nothing big but pointing even for humans "as children" is something VERY HARD to learn & figure out!
              Sometimes I think Xavier knows what I am pointing out whether its right under his nose or a many feet away better than my 2.5yr old son.
              Of course we use a lot of pointing with training, I point out the door when he goes potty, All I have to do is point to the laundry room for him to go in there and lay down, I can point out his ball from across the house & he knows what I am talking about, of course most of the time I am using the word ball...Either way still amazes me. Sometimes I can point to something in plain view to ds lol and he's walking off in the total opposite direction looking for what I'm pointing at lol

Kelly - Wife to Eric, Mom to Noah.
              Xavier - 1 year old.
              RIP Jake - We miss you.
              Proverbs 12:10 A Righteous Man has Regard for the Life of his Animal.

Comment

Working...
              X