How many meals a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many meals a day?

Zane has been on 3 meals a day since we've switched him to Raw. This past week, he refused breakfast and lunch, but ate dinner. He's 7 1/2 months old and at a healthy weight. Looks healthy. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
    sigpic
    Mommy to Derrick and Madison and furbaby Zane!

It's pretty normal. A lot of dogs will cut out lunch around that age...sometimes older, but usually between 7-12 months. Sometimes they'll also skip meals during the summer when it's hot. Try cutting out lunch for a few days and see how it goes.
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

You may wish to cut back on supper so as to encourage a morning meal. For breeds prone to bloat the recommendation is to avoid once/day feeds to minimize the risk of bloat occurring. 2 meals a day is fine.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys!! I'll cut lunch out and hope he eats this morning!
        sigpic

Comment

BTW, how much are you feeding at each meal? It could be that he's at the stage where growth spurts slow and he may need a little less at each meal until the next one.
          sigpic
          Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by rahime View Post
            BTW, how much are you feeding at each meal? It could be that he's at the stage where growth spurts slow and he may need a little less at each meal until the next one.
            Since he has been doing the not eating, I only put out 1/2 lb of food at a time. He doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, but he's eating about 1lb for dinner.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beckybeird View Post
              Since he has been doing the not eating, I only put out 1/2 lb of food at a time. He doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, but he's eating about 1lb for dinner.
              That's not much. Dogs do sometimes eat less when it's hot, so it could be totally normal (personally, I have no experience with these so-called "self-regulating" Danes), but I'd definitely keep an eye on him and visit the vet if there are any other signs of something being off.
              sigpic
              Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

Comment

Originally posted by rahime View Post
                That's not much. Dogs do sometimes eat less when it's hot, so it could be totally normal (personally, I have no experience with these so-called "self-regulating" Danes), but I'd definitely keep an eye on him and visit the vet if there are any other signs of something being off.
                He's acting completely normal. Just eating way less than normal. Pooping and peeing fine. Playing and zooming. Just not as hungry. He did eat lunch today. The 1/2 lb. I guess we will see about dinner.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X