Need to add oil to raw, how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to add oil to raw, how?

The vet wants me to "lube" up Jazz with an oil. I was going to use coconut oil as she has not had any problems with that in the past (allergic to fish, never tried olive) So........ how do you do this with raw meat? Should I warm the oil up to get it to a liquid state and pour it over the meat (and most likely waste the majority of it) or leave it in a solid state and_______(I have no clue here). I've tried just giving her a clump of it before and she just spits it out.

If this is not making sense, see hairball thread under health section

Thanks!
    Em
    sigpic
    Emily
    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

If she does not like the coconut oil in a clump, could you rub it on her meat and will she eat it then... If not I would try the olive oil and just drizzle some on the meat itself. Festus eats a glob of coconut oil on his food but then again he is only picky with certain things. I just normally put it in his bowl and he will just eat it with his meal. I have also given him olive oil and just poured some on his meat.
    sigpic

Comment

We give our dogs coconut oil and they are fed a raw diet. But what we do is melt it down to a liquid form and then mix a glucosamine/chondroitin powder that is beef flavored into it and they lick it right up. Sometimes we use olive oil. They like it just the same.
      [SIGPIC]sigpic
      Vanessa

Bree - 5 yr old Mantle Female (Rescued, Spayed)
      Brodee - 12 Month old Fawn Male
      "Divine Acres Time Well Spent"

Comment

I used to just mash some up with ground meat, organs or tripe.
        sigpic
        Jules
        Capone & Sookie

Comment

Brembo loves it in solid chunk form, but I usually have to break it up a little bit so the pieces aren't too big. If she didn't like that, I'd probably mix it liquid with ground meat or tripe...too pricy to be wasting much of it.
          sigpic
          Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

I had some ground turkey in the fridge so I took a spoon and shaved some coconut oil then lightly warmed it so some of it melted, the rest was just soft. I was afraid of it getting too warm.

All of this careful planning led to growling and barking in high disgust at her breakfast offering and refusal to eat it! She everntually took her teeth and picket out what she could and dropped it on the floor adn ate a couple of bites, then simply walked away in disgust.

Tomorrow I'll melt it all the way.

Jazz why do you do these things???
            sigpic
            Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

UGH Guess what happens when you add warmed oil to cold meat

She ate some of it. I am just too nervous to try a different (olive) oil right now with her other mystery allergy flairing. I know I am a wimp.

Any other ideas?
              sigpic
              Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

maybe keep it solid and pour some sort of beefy gravy like substance on top?
                Tracy Miller
                sigpic
                Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Thanks, for the suggestion, my problem is she won't eat it in a solid form. if it is melted she very happily licks it up. When it hit the cold meat it instantly hardened back up again. When we had used it before it was summer so it wasn't such a problem. It has to be at least 76ish degrees to be liquid, and my house is no where near that right now!

Such a picky girls
                  sigpic
                  Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Using a flavor injector to inject warmed (liquid) coconut oil into the meat only results in the warm oil squirting all over your work clothes, and you being late for work The oil that made it into the meat, continued to leak out eventually getting all over the floor (jazz insists the food not stay inher bowl) and I had to scrape hardened oil off the floor this morning. Dang a lot of money down the drain.

Jazz 3 Oil 0

Any other ideas?

Em
                    sigpic
                    Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

implement a little fiber into her diet perhaps? with the allergy situation that makes it rough, but a little sweet potato may help flush any stuck hair out.. i eat sweet potatoes regularly and isa gets one when i bake them.. usually about once, maybe twice a month.. a small one, or half a large one..
                      sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Do you ever feed Tripett? What if you mixed the melted oil in with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Loki Love View Post
                          Do you ever feed Tripett? What if you mixed the melted oil in with that?
                          I did once and she got an upset stomach, so I am scared to try again. She loved the freeze dried though (not helping here!) I had only given her a couple of spoons full so I am not sure what happened. maybe it's worth a try again. I'll have to get these allergies figured out first though

Thanks for the idea!

Em
                          sigpic
                          Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by isa aldawolfa View Post
                            implement a little fiber into her diet perhaps? with the allergy situation that makes it rough, but a little sweet potato may help flush any stuck hair out.. i eat sweet potatoes regularly and isa gets one when i bake them.. usually about once, maybe twice a month.. a small one, or half a large one..

If i baked one, how long would it keep if I only gave her enough to mix the oil with? The reason I'm scared to give her much is the last time I gave her some of mine (way way back in kibble days) is she got some loose from it. Kibble or potato I don't know but I'd rather not add any possible problems in

Thanks

Em
                            sigpic
                            Emily

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
                              If i baked one, how long would it keep if I only gave her enough to mix the oil with?
                              I think she was suggesting just sweet potato instead of the oil.
                              sigpic
                              Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X