Best Kibble/Canned to Gain Weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Kibble/Canned to Gain Weight

Hi all- I've been struggling to get weight on Marlin for the past few months. He's somewhat of a picky eater to begin with, and really the only thing I can get him eating consistently, including most of the good grain free options, etc. I was thinking about adding canned. Raw is unfortunately not an option at this time, as much as I like it. Has anyone else had this experience? He will apparently hoover down bil-jac frozen, but it's not available in this area, and satin balls give him terrible diarrhea. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by GraceTW22 View Post
    Hi all- I've been struggling to get weight on Marlin for the past few months. He's somewhat of a picky eater to begin with, and really the only thing I can get him eating consistently, including most of the good grain free options, etc. I was thinking about adding canned. Raw is unfortunately not an option at this time, as much as I like it. Has anyone else had this experience? He will apparently hoover down bil-jac frozen, but it's not available in this area, and satin balls give him terrible diarrhea. Thanks!!!
    Do you have a tractor supply anywhere near you? My dogs LOVE the 4Health grain free Beef & potato but its only sold at tractor supply. I tried Taste of The Wild & Innova for my dog and she would not eat any of it...i gave her the 4Health and she is eating it like crazy and gaining weight the way she should!

& sometimes i give them some canned food with there dry once or twice a week and they love that to.
    sigpic
    --Stephanie
    -Kylee: Great Dane (5 months)
    -Aubrey: German Shepherd x (2 years)
    -Haileigh: Yellow Lab x (4.5 years)
    -Ace: Black Lab x (8.5 years)
    (brown pit(Cooper)was a foster & 2 cats Nala & Sadie)

Comment

Canine Caviar has a chicken and millet food that is around 600 calories a cup, and grain free fish, duck and venison foods that are all over 600 calories. Riddle dropped 6 pounds in the last month while we were dealing with tummy trouble and not only do all of the flavors agree with him but he's eating 2 cups a day less and is starting to put weight back on. He also actually likes it, which is a nice change after having him pick at the last four or five foods we've tried. I'd be happier if there was a bit more meat, but they're all potato free and have a nice simple ingredient panel. I'm actually going to do a medium sized bag of their puppy food next for Riddle because it's higher fat and around 650 calories a cup. It's getting cold and he's showing all ribs when he moves and a little spine and hips so I need to get 5-10 pounds on him.
      Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
      Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceTW22 View Post
        Maybe try Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried on it's own (if you're wealthy) or mix some with kibble (what I do). My dog loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
          Canine Caviar has a chicken and millet food that is around 600 calories a cup, and grain free fish, duck and venison foods that are all over 600 calories. Riddle dropped 6 pounds in the last month while we were dealing with tummy trouble and not only do all of the flavors agree with him but he's eating 2 cups a day less and is starting to put weight back on. He also actually likes it, which is a nice change after having him pick at the last four or five foods we've tried. I'd be happier if there was a bit more meat, but they're all potato free and have a nice simple ingredient panel. I'm actually going to do a medium sized bag of their puppy food next for Riddle because it's higher fat and around 650 calories a cup. It's getting cold and he's showing all ribs when he moves and a little spine and hips so I need to get 5-10 pounds on him.
          I'm definitely going to give it a try, but funny fact, their grain free formulas have fewer calories than the grain inclusive! I'll try the chicken and millet. Any ideas on calorie dense canned?

Comment

I want to say that EVO venison is around 550? calories a can and I think California naturals salmon is around 530? They were the two I was feeding Zephyr when he needed a bit of extra calories.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
              You can't go by calories per cup, rather you need to go by calories per kg or per lb. The size and shape of the kibble will dictate the weight in a cup by volume, small kibble foods fit better in a cup.

The canine caviar food is an average calorie food.

Be careful of CC foods, some are not AAFCO compliant and the company's claims about cancer are laughable.

Putting weight on a dog that actually needs it is very easy if you use the right foods, performance foods that are designed for sporting dogs.

The best ones are Dr. Tim's Pursuit or Momentum, Annamaet Ultra and Precise Endurance. Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are the ones used by the top trainers of sporting dogs. Dr. Tim's rules the snow sports now. Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are at least 90% of stated protein from animal sources and are low carbohydrate foods.
              Last edited by ItalianGD; 11-16-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianGD View Post
                You can't go by calories per cup, rather you need to go by calories per kg or per lb. The size and shape of the kibble will dictate the weight in a cup by volume, small kibble foods fit better in a cup.

The canine caviar food is an average calorie food.

Be careful of CC foods, some are not AAFCO compliant and the company's claims about cancer are laughable.

Putting weight on a dog that actually needs it is very easy if you use the right foods, performance foods that are designed for sporting dogs.

The best ones are Dr. Tim's Pursuit or Momentum, Annamaet Ultra and Precise Endurance. Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are the ones used by the top trainers of sporting dogs. Dr. Tim's rules the snow sports now. Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are at least 90% of stated protein from animal sources and are low carbohydrate foods.
                Every CC food we have on the shelf are AAFCO compliant for either all life stages, growth, or maintenance. The foods I've tried are all around four cups to a pound, with most having tiny little round kibble, so around 2400 Kcal/lb of the chicken and millet.

Comment

was the 4health something you started from the start, or something you switiched to. An if you made the transition, did your GD have a little loss of appietite. We been on TOTW and read great things on 4health. TOTW was giving a little of soft stools, and since giving 4Health stools looking much better, but I have noticed the appietite has changed

Comment

Originally posted by pit956 View Post
                    was the 4health something you started from the start, or something you switiched to. An if you made the transition, did your GD have a little loss of appietite. We been on TOTW and read great things on 4health. TOTW was giving a little of soft stools, and since giving 4Health stools looking much better, but I have noticed the appietite has changed
                    I have 4 dogs (one being my new dane), my other 3 use to be on Purina Pro Plan a long time ago and they got sick from it so i switched them to TOTW well my yellow lab mix started eating less and less and eventually didnt want it at all and my black lab started losing weight even though he was eating his normal amount (took him to the vet and all was well) so i tried to slowly switch them to 4health and they would pick the 4health out of the food and leave the rest so i ended up having no choice but to do a straight switch and they are all healthy and back to normal weight now and i didnt experience any loose stool or anything.
                    Now with my great dane i got her and she was on Iams (yuck) so i got her home and she REFUSED to eat the food that she was sent with (Iams) so i tried to slowly switch her to TOTW and she wanted nothing to do with it, then i tried mixing in a little Innova and she wouldnt eat that either. I put a few scoops of Iams in her bowl and then a small scoop of my 4health grain free beef & potato that my other dogs eat and mixed it....she would get a mouth full of food and spit the Iams on the ground and go to town on the 4health...she had lost a few because of not eating anything and now so looks so healthy and is gaining weight like she should be!
                    Since your pup had loose stool with the TOTW there could have been something in there that didnt agree with him. If things look better with the 4health then the appetite change could be due to the fact that thats all his body feels its needs to be satisfied...now if its a BIG change then i may be a little worried...but if were just talking about leaving a little in the bowl at the end of the meal or a cup or so then i wouldnt be to worried.
                    Last edited by stephaniej2888; 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM.
                    sigpic
                    --Stephanie
                    -Kylee: Great Dane (5 months)
                    -Aubrey: German Shepherd x (2 years)
                    -Haileigh: Yellow Lab x (4.5 years)
                    -Ace: Black Lab x (8.5 years)
                    (brown pit(Cooper)was a foster & 2 cats Nala & Sadie)

Comment

Working...
                    X