Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 WEEK OLD GREAT DANE PUPPY....TOO SMALL????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 WEEK OLD GREAT DANE PUPPY....TOO SMALL????

I have a 9 week old great dane puppy. I feed him Innova Large Breed Puppy and half a can of wellness. He's a little over 20lbs. I was wondering if this was small for his age? My boyfriend and I take our pup to the dog park to play with the other dane puppies and it just seems like he's really small in comparison to the others...although he is younger i have watched the other pups grow and have seen them when they were Tyson's(my puppy)age. He's a big eater.....he eats 3 times a day but it just seems like he's not putting on weight????

9 WEEK OLD GREAT DANE PUPPY....TOO SMALL????

I have a 9 week old great dane puppy. I feed him Innova Large Breed Puppy and half a can of wellness. He's a little over 20lbs. I was wondering if this was small for his age? My boyfriend and I take our pup to the dog park to play with the other dane puppies and it just seems like he's really small in comparison to the others...although he is younger i have watched the other pups grow and have seen them when they were Tyson's(my puppy)age. He's a big eater.....he eats 3 times a day but it just seems like he's not putting on weight????

Comment

RE: 9 WEEK OLD GREAT DANE PUPPY....TOO SMALL????

Here's a good site for comparison:

http://www.chromadane.com/ht&wt.htm

I don't know what the protein/fat ratio is on Innova, but normally you NEVER feed puppy food to a Dane. Tbey are GIANT breeds, not large, and growing too fast (by feeding puppy food) causes a lot of orthopedic problems for them. Feed them a quality adult food with a protein level around 21-24% and a fat ratio around 12-14%. I myself feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul Adult kibble from puppyhood on.

As for your pups size, 20 pounds at 9 weeks isn't bad. Your pup will grow at its own rate, and the worst thing you can do is feed/supplement to try to get him bigger! Doing so can cause some very expensive and painful disorders for the poor pup.

You want to keep your pup on the lean side too. You should be able to see the last couple of ribs. Slower growth and keeping them lean while they are growing is much easier on their bones/joints. Danes grow SO fast anyway, and you need to do what you can to keep said growth slow and steady!

Edited because I can't type this early in the morning. LOL

Bree, Xander & V~ http://kritterkorner.com/piggyspad/i...miles/1072.gif
      In memory of Henry~Forever in my heart my sweet boy.

See our photo gallery ~ Updated 6/14/05
      http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

Here's a good site for comparison:

http://www.chromadane.com/ht&wt.htm

I don't know what the protein/fat ratio is on Innova, but normally you NEVER feed puppy food to a Dane. Tbey are GIANT breeds, not large, and growing too fast (by feeding puppy food) causes a lot of orthopedic problems for them. Feed them a quality adult food with a protein level around 21-24% and a fat ratio around 12-14%. I myself feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul Adult kibble from puppyhood on.

As for your pups size, 20 pounds at 9 weeks isn't bad. Your pup will grow at its own rate, and the worst thing you can do is feed/supplement to try to get him bigger! Doing so can cause some very expensive and painful disorders for the poor pup.

You want to keep your pup on the lean side too. You should be able to see the last couple of ribs. Slower growth and keeping them lean while they are growing is much easier on their bones/joints. Danes grow SO fast anyway, and you need to do what you can to keep said growth slow and steady!

Edited because I can't type this early in the morning. LOL

Bree, Xander & V~ http://kritterkorner.com/piggyspad/i...miles/1072.gif
        In memory of Henry~Forever in my heart my sweet boy.

See our photo gallery ~ Updated 6/14/05
        http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

Actually- Innova Large breed puppy is new and does fall within most accepted guidelines for puppy danes. I guess its only the second puppy food on the market that can be acceptable. Hopefully there will be more to come!

Anyhow, your pups weight is not atypical. It is really hard to remember how fast they grow and how small they actually were. Comparing him to other danes of vaying ages at the park isn't very constructive. He's growing, believe me. Next time you go to the vets he will have packed on 10-20 lbs from the last time and you won't have noticed because it happened right before your eyes. Promise.

Comment

Actually- Innova Large breed puppy is new and does fall within most accepted guidelines for puppy danes. I guess its only the second puppy food on the market that can be acceptable. Hopefully there will be more to come!

Anyhow, your pups weight is not atypical. It is really hard to remember how fast they grow and how small they actually were. Comparing him to other danes of vaying ages at the park isn't very constructive. He's growing, believe me. Next time you go to the vets he will have packed on 10-20 lbs from the last time and you won't have noticed because it happened right before your eyes. Promise.

Comment

When Einstein was 8 weeks old he weighed 21.4 pounds he is now 2 years old still growing and is 38 inches tall and weighs 170+ I haven't weighed him lately.
              I think your pup is ok and will grow fast enough.Soon he will gain 4-5 pounds a week don't worry. Just enjoy his baby days

I feed Diamond 60+ large breed not because it says large breed but because I like the ingredence and the protien/fat.

Most of your pet foods that say large breed that just means it has glucosamine and chondroitin for the larger breeds joints, it is used for dogs over 60 pounds giant breeds fit in that catagory.

I bet if they put the same thing in a bag that said Giant Breed up the price $20.00 no one would question it.
              Just watch the protien level.

Teresa and my special Danes
              Einstein(White)deaf, Crystal Blue(Merlequin)deaf, Daisy(Harl)hearing

(Updated)
              The story of my Deaf Dane (turn up your volume)
              http://www.photoshow.net/view/LzrWRXEye

Comment

When Einstein was 8 weeks old he weighed 21.4 pounds he is now 2 years old still growing and is 38 inches tall and weighs 170+ I haven't weighed him lately.
                I think your pup is ok and will grow fast enough.Soon he will gain 4-5 pounds a week don't worry. Just enjoy his baby days

I feed Diamond 60+ large breed not because it says large breed but because I like the ingredence and the protien/fat.

Most of your pet foods that say large breed that just means it has glucosamine and chondroitin for the larger breeds joints, it is used for dogs over 60 pounds giant breeds fit in that catagory.

I bet if they put the same thing in a bag that said Giant Breed up the price $20.00 no one would question it.
                Just watch the protien level.

Teresa and my special Danes
                Einstein(White)deaf, Crystal Blue(Merlequin)deaf, Daisy(Harl)hearing

(Updated)
                The story of my Deaf Dane (turn up your volume)
                http://www.photoshow.net/view/LzrWRXEye

Comment

thanks for the input. i think i was just getting a lil upset, a loud mouth dog owner commented on him.....i think he's cute....a lil plump but she insisted he was too small for his age. his ribs show a bit but he looks pretty healthy. i gotta get some pics up.....

Comment

thanks for the input. i think i was just getting a lil upset, a loud mouth dog owner commented on him.....i think he's cute....a lil plump but she insisted he was too small for his age. his ribs show a bit but he looks pretty healthy. i gotta get some pics up.....

Comment

Keep your pup thin, not plump. Plump is just asking for trouble in this breed while they are growing.
                      Mandi

Comment

Keep your pup thin, not plump. Plump is just asking for trouble in this breed while they are growing.
                        Mandi

Comment

One of the first things you'll learn as a Great Dane owner is that everyone else knows more about Danes than you. :f You're Dane will be the wrong color, too small, too big, too quiet, too aggressive....

You're better off just learning to ignore it and trust your instincts.

-Ericka
                          Mom to:
                          Java (Dane, 2 years)
                          Mickey (Dane, 1 year)
                          Charlie (Cockatiel, 4 yrs)
                          Angel (Cockatiel, age unknown)

Comment

One of the first things you'll learn as a Great Dane owner is that everyone else knows more about Danes than you. :f You're Dane will be the wrong color, too small, too big, too quiet, too aggressive....

You're better off just learning to ignore it and trust your instincts.

-Ericka
                            Mom to:
                            Java (Dane, 2 years)
                            Mickey (Dane, 1 year)
                            Charlie (Cockatiel, 4 yrs)
                            Angel (Cockatiel, age unknown)

Comment

When we first got Thor, he was 12 weeks and weighed 23Lbs. He is now 5 months and weighs 60, so he is growing nicely. Don't worry about your puppy's weight. It will come. Spend your time worrying about important things instead.

Bill Carnes
                              www.skylarzack.com
                              www.k9goodbehavior.com

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                              Dr. Tom Lonsdale

Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. It was wrong yesterday, it's wrong today, and it will be wrong tomorrow. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way.

Comment

Working...
                              X