Any color better than another?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any color better than another?

I'm reading every thing I can get my hands on on GDs. My head is spinning..
    I was wondering is any color better than the other? I read the gene pool in fawns is larger. But I really don't know what that means. When you read what can go wrong in breeding, it makes me afraid. Even good breeder can have problems. But thats another question. Now I need to know if one color is less likely to have problems? Hope I don't sound to dumb

I don't feel one color has any more health problems than the other. Blues can have coat problems but not every one of them does. Health depends on the line you purchase from. Longevity is a sign of good health.

Comment

I believe the only issues linked to colour are skin issues in blues and sensory defects in double-merles.
      Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
      Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I really don't think any certain color is better than another color. I think on a larger scale, as a whole....it's not really a valid issue. Obviously harl breeding can be a sensitive business with all the weird gene stuff they have (I still don't understand it lol) and merles and white danes and etc etc etc....But I don't think there is really a "YES, The coat color that is best to get is _______"

I'm sure other people will chime in....
        sigpic

*bethany*
        Nova - 3 yr old Great Dane
        Pepper - 9 yr old Chihuahua
        Mable - 4 yr old Great Dane Rescue

Comment

Fawn is not a better color health wise if the breeders are good and produce sound animals, but it's easier to find a fawn breeder who is very reputable because fawn greatly outnumbers the other colors, fawn is also cheaper than many of the other colors, so if you look at the big picture you'll have less of a problem finding a great breeder if you go for fawn, there are good breeders of all the colors but by numbers there are less of them.

Comment

I agree with what Carol said.

BUT Fawns and brindles are the BEST! LOL
            Meg
            AeroDanes

Comment

My personal opinion is that what ever color the dane is that you are madly in love with and share your life with is the best!!

If I did not rescue, color would be the least of my worries. I would want a reputable breeder. Actually, even rescuing, color was the least of my worries. Actually, the only color that I was not particularly fond of was black, lol, because I already had a black lab. Now, I am crazy about my black dane!!
              Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
              Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
              RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

What sort of problems do the Blue have with skin?
                So is what you all are saying is " A Dane is A Dane"? lol
                I do like the looks of the Blues. But that is not a top priority. Good health is tops for me....

Comment

Blues can have color dilute alopecia/ hairloss from being blue, basically the same thing blue dobermans get but with a lot less frequency. A good line usually doesn't carry this but you can never be 100% since it can turn up randomly in any line.
                  Seems everyone lately wants a blue.

Comment

The only color to stay away from is an all white dane. All white danes can have visual and hearing problems.

Other than that, it just depends on what color fur goes with your carpet !

Comment

Originally posted by andipanda 1 View Post
                      The only color to stay away from is an all white dane. All white danes can have visual and hearing problems.

Other than that, it just depends on what color fur goes with your carpet !
                      Merlequins can also have sight and hearing issues, a good breeder will not sell a pup with defects without letting you know it has the defects, as both white and merlequin can have no problems, but white dogs or dogs with a lot of pink skin can get sun burn.

Comment

I agree that you'll love any colour you end up with. Fawn was the colour I always wanted, harl was my least favorite, but I love my harl boy and wouldn't trade him for the most perfect fawn
                        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brindle baby View Post
                          I agree with what Carol said.

BUT Fawns and brindles are the BEST! LOL
                          Ditto! LOL!
                          sigpic
                          Lori, Desi & Grimm
                          RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                          Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                          Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

I think all colors are created equal in Danes,,,,almost. I t does seem like the Harls have a lot more skin issues/coat issues then others...I know Milly gets itchy skin/pink skin in the spring/summer. You will also need to be careful of sunburns on Harls:O)

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                            Milly-Harl GD,
                            Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                            www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

Haha, Black was my least favorite and I am on my second black . I raw feed and my black boy's coat is stunning. He shines, and it accentuates every ripple of muscle and curve of bone. People always comment on how sleek and gorgeous he looks. I have developed a fondness for the blacks now, especially the cropped ones (mine has natural ears).

I would love to have a brindle.... um, and a harl..... and a merlequin, plus a stately fawn,... and the deaf whites are really starting to speak to my heart..... . Who can decide which is best? I guess it is the one taking up the lions share of YOUR bed, looking at you with 'Dane Eyes' of adoration, making your heart melt into a puddle of love! In my experience there is nothing like a GD to inspire the grandest of human emotions.
                              Last edited by intensgrl; 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
                              ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
                              <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Working...
                              X