Can Great Danes Live Outside??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Can Great Danes Live Outside??

Just my .02 for what it's worth..I know this post is 2 months old.

Anyone that cannot bring a dane into their home and love it and treat it as a part of the family should not get a dane or any other dog for that matter. How would YOU like to be tied up outside all day with no attention from the goings on inside?? IMHO, I think that would be classified as "cruelty to animals" or "neglect". I know I'll probably be flamed, but this is my opinion only.

If you want an outside creature..how about a goat or a chicken?? LOL

To see my beautiful Maggie girl:
    http://www.geocities.com/coop43wingsfan/Maggie.html

Comment

I didn't get this impression from the person, to me, it seemed they were trying to figure out a solution where they could have a happy dog and work around allergies at the same time, and they came here asking for advice. We all agree that Danes shouldn't live outside, but yelling at this person and saying they are stupid and whatnot isn't very nice. So yeah, they asked a question that to knowledgeable Dane people is common sense or whatever, but at least they asked and are doing some research before just getting a dog. Wouldn't it be better to help people find a solution than yell at them?

Comment

Just to clarify..could you tell me where I called someone stupid or was yelling?? I just simply asked how they would feel if they were left outside away from the family.

To see my beautiful Maggie girl:
        http://www.geocities.com/coop43wingsfan/Maggie.html

Comment

>If you want an outside creature..how about a goat or a
          >chicken?? LOL

Good one ~ IMDO you are right on the money.

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean for you to take that personally! There have been some pretty intense posts on here (not yours) and it's sort of gone on for a while now. I think for one, we've already run this person off and now they think we are just rude and went and got a Dane and stuck her outside, but anyways, my point simply was that maybe we should be trying to help not run people off. Yeah people make ask questions that piss us all off or seem ridiculous, but I think it's better if we try to educate them nicely. If they run off they won't know any better and we've lost the chance to get people to change their ways. But I got the impression this person wasn't trying to be a crappy dog owner, just didn't know any better and was trying to come up with a solution to allergies and wanting a dog. There are solutions to that that are good for all around. That's all I meant and my comments weren't directed at you specifically.

Comment

I would just like to post my agreement with you about trying not to be critical of other people. and you're right about the guy probably being run off. it seems that if everyone really cared about how other anonimous people treated danes, they would make more of an effort to teach and advise amateur/potential dane owners in a friendly manner, rather than a critical and demeaning one, which is really just a better way of chasing them off where they can lick their wounds and justify bad decisions because people they asked for help merely shot them down. just my two cents i guess, and i'm glad i wasn't the only person to get a critical vibe from this chain.

adryan

Comment

I think the problem with this particular post was that the par321 seemed to have his mind made up before he posted and was looking for people to back him up. Asking an honest question and having it answered in a civilized manner should be expected. Asking a question when you have no intention of heeding the advise given is a waste of everyones time and you have to expect people to be annoyed.

Cindy

Comment

Well said...

Comment

I have to put my 2 cents in also:

If a dog or cat is not part of the family ( and I mean everyting, including being in the house, sleeping in the house, eating, drinking in the house) why bother having one? If you want to stick it in the back yard, why bother getting one? I see too many dogs in my own neighborhood tied. They are upset and constantly bark and cry all day long. They are starved for attention, not food or water. Iam sorry if we may have run this person off. I hope he is still reading these messages and will not get a dog of any kind. Maybe he could try a hairless cat. Iam not making fun at him, just a suggestion. That would solve allergic problem.

Thanks for letting me let off some steam.

Linda,Dave,Jesse, and Kitties, Cassie, Pekoe, & Emma

Pics:
                    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2873&members=1
                    Linda and Rocky
                    sigpic
                    Jesse 1998-2007
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
                    Harley 1998-2002
                    Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

PLEASE don't put a dane outside! There is one other dane in my town and he has to stay outside, he looks so miserable! I have learned from my dane that they need us around all the time. I could not imagine making him stay outside...I wouldn't want to be stuck outside all the time, bored out of my mind, with no "feeling" of belonging, so I wouldn't dare to it to my pet. With my boy inside with the rest of us he IS a TRUE part of our family.

Comment

The original post is very old and I think (I hope) you all scared him out of "acquiring" a Dane. But consider this... if he had gotten a little baby, are you going to tell me he could look into those eyes and throw him out the back door! Unless his or his allergic family's hearts are made of coal that pup is probably sleeping in the bed with them!!:7

Jeff and the bloodog

Comment

I wish that were true, but you would be amazed at the number of danes I have come across who live outside and are segregated from their families. The local rescue here is flooded with these poor dogs.
                          Just this week we have a new dane in my neighborhood who is outside everytime I go by their house (twice a day). Cute little guy with his ears up in tapes, yet outside alone.
                          =Michelle, Odin, Zeo,& Rufus=

Comment

Why would you buy a great dane or any other dog if you are going to make it live outside. Great Danes are people dogs they think they are people and they will not do well if they are living outside. They need attention and they want to be one of the family and this is not possible if they are living outside. If you do this your dog will be depressed and I am not joking they are definitely inside dogs!

Comment

ok get a grip.. listen its a DOG. im sorry but my dog comes in the house when i am home and is outside when we are not home. And when the weather is warm he sleeps outside.. i mean give me a break, there is NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL wrong with having the dog sleep outside weather permitting. that is just a complete far left idea thinking that the dog HAS to sleep inside and if a breeder sells a dog that is going to live outside is IRRESPONSIBLE?????????????? what a ridiculous comment.. if the dog is allowed to sufficiently interact with people in or out thats what matters most! puh lease dont be so silly about calling a breeder irresponsible because he or she is selling to a family that will have the dog sleep outside.. my goodness.

Comment

Are you having fun yet Mr Troll??

Comment

Working...
                                X