Where is your whelping box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is your whelping box?

Where do you breeders keep the whelping box, ( do you have a place in your home, or an outdoor kennel)- and where do you keep the puppies once they become active?

Veronica
    http://photos.yahoo.com/tloneill69

RE: Where is your whelping box?

Mine is in my office. I whelp the pups there then transfer them and the mother to an X-pen in my bedroom where they stay for about three weeks. After that, they go back to the whelping box in my office.

Comment

Mine goes downstairs in the family room. (I've thus far only had one litter though.) They were later transferred to an x-pen in the same room, where I sleep (and practically live) until they're gone. It's always good to finally sleep in my bed after 8 weeks on a couch!
      Cat
      Mientcat Great Danes
      Member, Great Dane Club of Western PA

Comment

I have it in my bedroom til few weeks old then the den is theirs until they go to their new homes.

Lisa Mcintosh
        http://xceldanes.com/index.html
        sigpicLisa
        www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Mine is in the basement (finished basement) enclosed in an 8ftx12ft kennel run for when they puppies get older.

Comment

In my other house, it was in the spare bedroom. Here, it is in the library. I have the smartest puppies after they have read all the books I have. I point out the obedience ones to them first. I sleep on the couch for the first three weeks and then since this is next to the bedroom, I can hear everything that goes on after that while I'm in bed...Jo
            Jo
            Hof Kurz Great Danes
            Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
            Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

The whelping box is in my finished basement and the puppies stay there until they are weaned (which is at approx 4 1/2 weeks old), than they are moved to our kennel (which is attached to our house). There they have access to indoor/outdoor "facilities" which readily assists to their house breaking <LOL>.

We also have a very nice, insulated, remodeled "whelping shed" complete with camera/tv monitoring and located a stones throw from our door. Sometimes in the summer, I have used this building. This also gives puppies access to indoor/outdoor availability.

Our kennel is not what one would consider average. It has an insulated floor covered by linoleum, oak cabinets, sink, TV/VCR, stereo, hanging plants, pictures, refrigerator, etc, with 4 separate runs all with access to outside. I like it to look/feel/smell like a home, not a kennel. By moving the puppies to the kennel once they are completely on solids, we are able to keep our home smelling like a home <G>.
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes

Edit to add:
              I think this information is extremely valuable in accessing a breeder. Constant human interaction and sanitary conditions are essential for building a proper "foundation" in puppies. Those first 8 weeks of life can not be repeated. This, of course, is only two important variables.
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
              sigpic

Comment

Ours in in the middle of the living room....
                in front of the computer and beside the mattress on the floor.

The tv is to the side of them so the pups hear that daily.
                The washer/dryer are in the bathroom which is just off the livingroom
                so they get accustomed to that too especially with all the bedding being washed whe we have pups.

Even if we had a real big place I'd keep it this way.

Rachel C. of Sixstar Danes
                Click here to see our Youtube videos.
                Feeding raw since Dec 2000

Comment

Boy Carolyn- can "I" move in??? :7

Veronica
                  http://photos.yahoo.com/tloneill69

Comment

Mine is in my computer room. I have my cot, a TV and computer all right here. There is a dog door leading to a fenced yard off of the room. When the pups out grow the box usually by week 3, they move to the other end of the room which I partician off with a crate that has been taken apart and stretched across the room so they can't chew on my computer stuff. They have access to get outside when they are ready. They are pretty much doggy door potty trained by the time they are between 5 and 6 weeks old.
                    I asked my husband to build me a whelping box that would be light weight, easy to put away/fold up and what I got was this 4ft. X 8ft. 300 pound box that takes 3 or 4 people to move it!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/f94856c3.jpg
                    Feeding Raw Since January 2003
                    www.eastwooddanes.com/Kyrabed.html
                    www.eastwooddanes.com
                    Kim E.

Comment

I bought a 5ft * 5ft whelping box for my dog and her puppies. Plastic whelping box is easily moved whenever you want, easy to washable and eco-friendly. I put my whelping box in the backyard of my house. It covered by green sheds and having a large area. A whelping box makes comfort my canines.
                      If your dog is pregnant and is going to give birth to puppies, then get best canine whelping box to protect for bedding before and after pregnancy.

Comment

Working...
                      X