NDR but just a little sad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDR but just a little sad

I started volunteering at my local SPCA to work with the dogs on leash manners and basic training, and tonight just has me down. I took out a 6 year old big black lab mix, with the very original name of Blackie, who has been at the shelter for a while now. I figured since she had been there so long that she must need work; boy was I wrong. She figured the clicker out after a few clicks, after a few clicks when something caught her attention she was checking in automatically, she didn't pull on leash at all. Then she really blew me away, I wasn't thinking and said "heel" when I started walking, and she perked up and walked in a perfect attentive heel next to me. Someone's spent time training this girl at some point, she's perfect, an absolute dream dog, yet she has no home because no one wants the big black dog.
    I'd take her in a heart beat if I could
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

I know the feeling.
    Those are the dogs you just pray those great adopters will find.

And when I volunteered for an all breed rescue - those were the dogs or whom somehow I ended up back on the Adoption Counciling shift - and guiding the nuts away from them & the good adopters to them:-)
    sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
    Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
    Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
    Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
    Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

I'm sorry. I know the feeling too. Big, black dogs are the LAST to be adopted, and the FIRST to be euthanized.

Thanks for volunteering - those dogs love it.
      sigpic

Comment

i volunteer at the local shelter, luckily its a no kill place, but we have several big black labs that have been there for a lonnnngg time. its been years for a couple of them. its sad, there are dogs that come in and get adopted right away but no one wants the "boring" black ones. and they are usually the most trained and well behaved. its heart wrenching. but good for you for volunteering, i wish more people would. those dogs love it.
        sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

This is also a no-kill shelter, and while I generally dislike the SPCA and their anti-cropping campaign that lead to it being banned, they just lost city funding so the dogs need the help. Although I did actually laugh when they handed out volunteer handbooks with a cropped dane on the cover...
          I have a soft spot for the boring black dogs, I love my old black lab girl.
          Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
          Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
            This is also a no-kill shelter..

..I have a soft spot for the boring black dogs, I love my old black lab girl.
            at least you know she wont be euthanized. ive got a 12 year old lab/border collie mix. he is the sweetest boy and was my first dog. when he has to go, i will be devastated. i want him to live forever
            sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

Comment

My first dog was a collie mix that my mom and I picked out. She'd been to three previous homes and always returned within a few weeks of leaving the shelter. We were informed that if we returned her she would be put down. While she had a bit of a fear of men she was the absolute best dog. I was 7-8 and would ask her to sit and lie down over and over and over and had convinced myself I trained her haha but she was the most tolerate and obedient dog I've met. While she's gone now I think I will always remember her, the shy dog who no one else wanted. (She absolutely melted my family and friend's hearts however )
              Dane Hopeful!

Stella- shepherd lab mix
              sigpic

Comment

It's really a shame, this "black dog/cat syndrome"! There should be animal stencils to place white or brown rings around eyes, muzzles, and body spots with colour spray. By the time it wears off they are loved for who they are! (stupid dreaming.)
                June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                sigpic

Comment

Is there any way to add this information to his adoption stats. It might give her a better chance. Just so sad.
                  sigpic
                  Lori, Desi & Grimm
                  RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                  Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                  Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Being the momma bear of a big black dog, this breaks my heart! Other then my 2 gsp's, I have only owned black dogs (4) and think they are the bomb. I do not get the black dog thing. I think they are beautiful!

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
                    ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
                    <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Love this website - thought I'd share it one more time...

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

sigpic

Comment

you said black dog that's all it takes to make a dog sit in a shelter forever, shelter work can get very depressing, I have seen black 3 month puppies stay in shelters until they were a year old, non lab, non hound purebreds fly out of shelters. When ever we had a dane it was gone the day it was put up.

Comment

Oh dear lord bring her to my house, poor girl I don't get the "black dog syndrome" either. When I was growing up we had a black cockerspaniel mix that was the best dog! I just lost my black cat in july (RIP Ozzy!) and had planned on going to adopt another black cat from the HS but hubby is allergic and begged me not to lol. I plan on my next dane being a black they are just gorgeous! Just look at Katie's Scarlett and Courtney's black dane Reich. Absolutely stunning!
                          Ashley
                          Rest in peace Guiness <3

Comment

Originally posted by samantha63 View Post
                            i volunteer at the local shelter, luckily its a no kill place, but we have several big black labs that have been there for a lonnnngg time. its been years for a couple of them.
                            IMO, that is cruel. Can you imagine, not having a home of your own...being in a shelter (very stressful environment for ANY dog) 24/7 with only a walk or two a day, being passed up for younger puppies...
                            When I volunteered at TAILS there were a few dogs that had been there way too long that I wish that they would have euthanized. "Bear" WAS eventually euthanized...because being in that environment so long really hurt his temperament.

I think after a period of time, the most humane thing would be euthanasia
                            I wish they would at least transfer to another shelter, to see if they would get adopted somewhere else!
                            Cassie

Comment

Originally posted by hotelcali2202 View Post
                              IMO, that is cruel. Can you imagine, not having a home of your own...being in a shelter (very stressful environment for ANY dog) 24/7 with only a walk or two a day, being passed up for younger puppies...
                              When I volunteered at TAILS there were a few dogs that had been there way too long that I wish that they would have euthanized. "Bear" WAS eventually euthanized...because being in that environment so long really hurt his temperament.

I think after a period of time, the most humane thing would be euthanasia
                              I wish they would at least transfer to another shelter, to see if they would get adopted somewhere else!
                              i agree, some of these dogs develop severe behavioral issues, and sometiimes when they are finally adopted out, they end up coming back due to those issues.

after that started happening, the foster families became big support, and they take home the dogs who have been there a while and acclimate them to a home environment. im usually just a puppy foster because my aussie has fear issues, but there are a bunch of families that take the older dogs and have them until they are adopted.

Comment

Working...
                              X