Halter recommendation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halter recommendation?

I am posting this in the Miscellaneous Forum because I don't need a halter for training my boys -- I am lucky they are really good on leash and do not pull at all.

Since Dexter's issue with Wobblers I am overly cautious about connecting the leash to the neck/collar area. So, what I am looking for is a halter with padding under the arms and a clip for the leash on the back, not the chest of the halter. I have scoured all of our local pet stores and have found nothing that won't rub and cause sores (poor Dexter helped me find that out!) I also do not want a halter that goes around the muzzle.

Please give me your recommendations. . . What has worked for you and your danes? I need advice!

Thank You!
    sigpic
    Jen,
    Mom to:
    Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
    Scout (Dane 7 yrs) Horatio (Dane 7 yrs) Ming (Chow 14 yrs) Obi Wan (Pit 3 yrs) Kaya (Pit 3 yrs) . . .and wife to Matt!
    Waiting at the Bridge:
    Timberlynd, Duke, Goliath, & Porsche(3/15/11)

Not sure if it will be too bulky but I have one of the car seatbelt harnesses for my boxer. It's a harness and lined with sheepskin on the two chest/underarm pieces, and then has a hook on the back. I got it at Petsmart but you might have to special order one for a Dane.
    ~ Amber ~ Mommy to Zane & Regan (Danes), Jägermeister (Boxer), and Acosta (Kitty)
    Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue, Inc. www.rmgreatdane.org
    RAW Feeding since March 2008

Comment

How about the Freedom No Pull Harness from Wags, Wiggles, and Whiskers? They clip towards the upper shoulder blade which helps with chaffing and the leash can attach in front or on the back. We got ours from our local independent pet store, but you can find them online as well (or I could pick you up one and send it if you need me to).

http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/n...ll-harness.htm
      Last edited by jimsjer; 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking the Freedom No Pull Harness as well. I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it. I think you can only order them online or through a trainer.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check it out -- anything to make it easier on my boys! We have joined a group and walk a few times a week, and I want something that isn't putting any pressure on their necks!

Jimsjer -- thanks for the offer to pick them and send me them, that was very thoughtful. I am going to see if I can order them online.

Jen & the boys!
          sigpic
          Jen,
          Mom to:
          Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
          Scout (Dane 7 yrs) Horatio (Dane 7 yrs) Ming (Chow 14 yrs) Obi Wan (Pit 3 yrs) Kaya (Pit 3 yrs) . . .and wife to Matt!
          Waiting at the Bridge:
          Timberlynd, Duke, Goliath, & Porsche(3/15/11)

Comment

Working...
          X